Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Incidentally, Red Dawn is one of the worst movies ever made. Second only to An American Tale - at least I didn't end up rooting for the Russians in Red Dawn.

Agree to disagree. John Milius is a freakin genius, and Red Dawn was a staple of my 80s upbringing. Maybe you're thinking of the crappy remake which I refused to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      They fight and bleed pretty much the same.
      "They" have a lot more to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        On this, I disagree, because so many people in the military have family at home, and family blood is thicker than band of brothers blood.
        Not to mention those that did follow the orders, the sheer psychological toll this would have on them. You have a record number of military personnel committing suicide now. Imagine what would happen if they were forced to attack their own citizens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I think it's worth the risk. Again, if the choice comes down to banning all guns in order to stop being the most homicidal nation among 1st world/developed nations in the world, or fearing an unlikely, unwinnable, and improbable evil modern military, I say go ahead with the first option. Seems to be working for most other first world nations.
          You do realize that in many of those historical situations of unarmed societies run by tyrannical governments, faith persecution was the result?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
            You do realize that in many of those historical situations of unarmed societies run by tyrannical governments, faith persecution was the result?
            I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Not!
              Too!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I honestly don't care. It's not scripture holy writ. It's a piece of goat skin written on by very intelligent and wise men, but fallible men all the same. Men that lived nearly 250 years ago. Times have changed. Amendments have come and gone. Perhaps the 2nd one needs to go too.
                You knew what I meant.

And exactly one amendment has been repealed.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Agree to disagree. John Milius is a freakin genius, and Red Dawn was a staple of my 80s upbringing. Maybe you're thinking of the crappy remake which I refused to watch.
                  Saw the original in the theater on the original release.

They lost me with the radiator - went down hill from there.

The fact that none of the guys would stop talking about it for a week has nothing to do with why it's so bad...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    As noted previously the El Paso shooter is a left wing[1] white supremacist (or at least racist since there is no indication that he hates anyone who isn't white). While he may have used one word that Trump has used (invasion), leftists don't exactly take their cue from Trump. According to his manifesto (which never mentions Trump) his influences are the New Zealand killer who is a self-described "eco-fascist"
                    The shooter is a White Nationalist first and foremost. While he said that anger toward immigrants predates Donald Trump’s presidency his language bears much similarity with the president’s vocabulary. In short, the president’s open racism is an invitation to violence, it reinforces racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...uage-manifesto

and Dr. Seuss's environmentalist fable The Lorax. It was his wacko left wing environmentalist beliefs (a need to eliminate what he sees as surplus people) that motivated him. It was his racism that caused him to select Hispanics.
                    Sanders and Warren et al, whom you are futilely attempting to link with motivating the shooter, are environmentalists not eco-fascists like the shooter. Violent “Eco-fascism is undergoing a revival in the fetid culture of the extreme right”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...hurch-massacre

And once again the TDS crowd is deliberately lying about what Trump said. He never said that Hispanic immigrants are invaders. He said that those trying to enter the country illegally are invaders. You guys repeatedly feel the need to conflate legal immigrants with illegal aliens in order to support your TDS.
                    The manifesto rails against Hispanic immigrants “invading” the US and claiming they are taking Americans’ jobs and decreasing quality of life. It says that “I am simply defending my country from cultural and ethnic replacement brought on by an invasion.” “Replacement” and “invasion” are key Supremacist terms and frequently used by Trump. “Donald Trump and Fox News Warned of a Migrant “Invasion” Before El Paso Gunman Struck”.

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/05/...rump-fox-news/

And btw, what would you call folks who storm border crossings injuring several border agents and force the entry point to be closed by their actions (like what recently happened at the Pharr International Bridge in Texas)?

What do you call people who storm the border throwing rocks and bottles forcing the border agents to fend them off with tear gas and pepper spray (and this happened 126 times when the Obamessiah graced the White House with his presence)?

What do you call people who after forcing their way in celebrate by raising flags from the country they're from?

If it looks like an invader and acts like an invader it is almost certainly an invader.
                    So, why don’t you get your assault rifle and emulate the El Paso shooter. It seems you are both on the same page of hate.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• The only link between Trump and the El Paso shooter is that they both use the word "invade." You remind me of a nut job who once vehemently argued that Darwin influenced Hitler because both used the word "Struggle" in the title of their books.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        The only link between Trump and the El Paso shooter is that they both use the word "invade."
                        Not just “use the word”, Trump uses the word “invasion” over and over again…at his rallies and on Twitter. He ran run over 2,000 Facebook ads warning of 'invasion'.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/06/p...VqFwI2lFjn_gvY

It’s part of his political platform in appealing to White Supremacists, to attack people of a different color,...like the four Congresswomen he told to go back from where they came from.

You remind me of a nut job who once vehemently argued that Darwin influenced Hitler because both used the word "Struggle" in the title of their books.
                        False analogy.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• How about blaming the guy who actually pulled the trigger?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            How about blaming the guy who actually pulled the trigger?
                            We do blame the nutcase who actually pulled the trigger, and we blame Trump for motivating/spurring on the nutcases. The racists, the supremacists, the nutcases are out there, correct, and they tend to be conservative Trump supporters and he knows how to motivate them with his rhetoric.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              ...we blame Trump for motivating/spurring on the nutcases.
                              His manifesto was filled with left-wing ideologies, so why aren't you blaming Democrats?
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I was stationed on Ramstein Airbase, which I believe is the second largest after Fort Hood. Trust me when I say that there are plenty of armed security forces just about everywhere on that base, and a couple armories within close proximity. And you're right, an armed gunman could walk into a PX or commissary and shoot a dozen people before the MPs get there. That's my point. Even in a heavily armed place like a military base you can kill many people before anyone can respond. Wackjobs are looking for places where there's a lot of people. A military base is the last place you'd go if you're also concerned about armed resistance, so that's not really what they're concerned about.
                                Ramstein AB is also headquarters of USAFE and one of the most important overseas locations the US has. Security is likely going to reflect that. Also, from what I found. Ramstein AB is around 3,098 acres. Fort Hood is 214,000.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment