Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    "too bright."

Sincerely -

The Grammar Nazi!
    Did CP appoint you in his absence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      well, your prediction is wrong as usual. My response is, If you knew that Trump also played golf during the crisis when MM mentioned it, why didn't you just say so instead of sliding all over the place, and then try to excuse it by claiming you were just trolling? I think you just found it out. And no, I didn't even bother to read your links, I will take your word on it.

So now I will see what MM says in response.
      I already responded.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post723520

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post723532
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        [...]Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Did CP appoint you in his absence?
          CP is still here - just no longer (apparently) posting in Civics. IIRC, he mentioned, at one point, that he was tiring of the nature of the discussions here.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I think it looks bad. Just like when Obama did it. I have nothing against relaxing, but do it in private so people don't think you are fiddling while Rome burns.
            Trump was golfing with members of a championship team who had been invited to the White House, so it was a bit different than Obama hitting the links by himself. Here is the link that carpe originally posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ers-in-florida

The links he posted in his response to you are about Trump's overall golfing habits, which is a bait-and-switch on his part because he knows his selective outrage (angry at Trump for mentioning TV ratings; fine with Obama out golfing while thousands were dying from the swine flue) doesn't give him a leg to stand on here.

Oh, wait, he's just trolling us. Yeah, that's it.

Comment

again, China is lying about their numbers, and they have stopped testing. That is why their new cases dropped off so instantly. They aren't counting.
              Ok, let's compare to Canada. They have 8.5K cases as of today. At 9 times their population, the US should have 76K. Instead there are 180K, more than double... failed leadership it is.

Comment

And you know this how?
                China's government is what it is. Oppressive, secretive. We can't know they have a problem they are not reporting, or if they have secretly stopped testing to keep the forward facing picture looking good, but we can know that if they had a serious problem they would be very, very unlikely to report it unless forced to do so. There are reports coming out of china that indicate their government is not being honest about what is happening there, and given the oppressive and secretive nature of that government, such reports should be taken seriously. However, until and unless real proof emerges, nothing much can be done or even said about it officially.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                  Ok, let's compare to Canada. They have 8.5K cases as of today. At 9 times their population, the US should have 76K. Instead there are 180K, more than double... failed leadership it is.
                  Yeah - there are a large number of examples that prove that point. China is dubious though, so personally I'm sticking with ones that are less likely to turn up as fudged numbers. It's not like reliable examples are hard to find
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    CP is still here - just no longer (apparently) posting in Civics. IIRC, he mentioned, at one point, that he was tiring of the nature of the discussions here.
                    Probably a healthy move on his part, he's a good guy actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                      That wasn't a rhetorical question, kiddo. I was genuinely asking back at the end of February if the China virus really was worse than the common flu.

To put things into perspective, the common flu is estimated to have killed between 24,000 and 62,000 this season in the US alone. At the time I'm writing this, Johns Hopkins estimates that 41,000 worldwide have died from the Wuhan virus. In other words, the common flu has killed as many in the US as the Chinese coronavirus has killed worldwide. There are an estimated 40-million cases of the common flu in the US alone. Johns Hopkins shows 800,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide.

So it remains a valid question: Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?

Comment

• MADA
                        Make America Dead Again.
                        But remember to keep blaming China (not the bat).
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So it remains a valid question: Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?
                          The death rate for the flu stands at .01%. As far as the coronavirus, since it is new disease, the data is incomplete, but as of now its rate is at 2.3%.

Comment

There are only a handful of countries that have a higher per-capita infection rate than the U.S. Of the U.S., Italy, Spain, China, Germany, France, Iran, UK, Switzerland, Turkey, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, South Korea, and Canada (the 15 countries with them most infections at this moment), the U.S. is first in total infections. It is 3rd for most deaths behind only Italy and Spain. It is 10th for infections per million behind Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, and the Netherlands (in that order). We have 563 infections per million. The average for those 15 countries is 112.26. It is 10th for deaths per million behind Italy, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Iran, UK, and Austria (also in that order). We have 11.37 deaths per million. The average for those 15 countries is 5.5.

ETA: it should be noted that the numbers from China are significantly driving down the average for the group, due to its large populations. The China numbers are dubious.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Probably a healthy move on his part, he's a good guy actually.
                              Yes - he is...

There's not a lot he and I agree on, but he is fundamentally a good person.

Comment

The death rate for the flu stands at .01%. As far as the coronavirus, since it is new disease, the data is incomplete, but as of now its rate is at 2.3%.
                                But it is no doubt going to remain a valid question according to MM. And there is seemingly no need to tell anyone that the numbers would have been different had it not been for the fact that very many people are self isolating.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment