Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Perhaps not. But that's hardly a biblical perspective to take on anything of this nature.
    I'm curious which passage of scripture you think is applicable.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I'm curious which passage of scripture you think is applicable.
      Mark 9:42 obviously with a symbiotic relationship with Matthew 18:9. I never knew the bible that well to begin with and I've forgotten most of the little I knew so I'm sure there are plenty more passages which could be taken to oppose language which *some* might interpret as casual racism. Dear Lord what a garbage church you must attend.
      Last edited by DivineOb; 06-01-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
        Mark 9:42 obviously with a symbiotic relationship with Matthew 18:9. I never knew the bible that well to begin with and I've forgotten most of the little I knew so I'm sure there are plenty more passages which could be taken to oppose language which *some* might interpret as casual racism. Dear Lord what a garbage church you must attend.
        You think that verse applies here?

Calling it the China flu will not lead anyone into sin, and I don't believe I'm obligated to walk on eggshells around people who are intent on finding offense.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

One thing that would be different with a Democrat in office is they wouldn't insist on calling Coronavirus the "Chinese Flu" / Kung Flu / etc. and I wouldn't have to worry about my wife and kids being exposed to racist attacks as a result. So that's one difference.
          Kung Flu. I hadn't heard that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            "Trump, they say, was uniquely ill-qualified for this moment."

I think that's a fair statement. The article is right in that Trump didn't cause the troubles afflicting this country today. However, he did exacerbate them to an extent which makes the US feel more like a fascist state.

And let me be perfectly clear: the voters who voted for him largely wanted him to upset the apple cart. They wanted him to make people angry. Whether their criticisms of various aspects of this country are valid or not, they're responsible for putting a clown at the helm, and doubly-so because they knew exactly what they were doing.

I'd say about half of American voters were uniquely ill-qualified for one particular moment in 2016...
            May be right. He wanted to be a "hands off" president that brought home our troops, strengthened the economy, and pulled back from unrestrained globalism. I agree with all of that.

But he had/has no plan to handle the domestic chaos that has gripped 2020. Sending out the military is not the answer - it will probably make things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              You think that verse applies here?

Calling it the China flu will not lead anyone into sin, and I don't believe I'm obligated to walk on eggshells around people who are intent on finding offense.
              Here is a thing which actually happened.

"The FBI assesses hate crime incidents against Asian Americans likely will surge across the United States, due to the spread of coronavirus disease … endangering Asian American communities," according to the report, which was done by the FBI’s Houston office and distributed to local law enforcement agencies across the country.

"The FBI makes this assessment based on the assumption that a portion of the US public will associate COVID-19 with China and Asian American populations."

Here is the aftermath of that attack upon a *child*. Very likely that child is now traumatized for life due to this incident and will relive it *every time he sees the scars on his face.*

Midland-TX-coronvirus-hate-crime-stabbing-victims.jpg

That an Asian person of whatever descent might take your words to be racist in the aftermath of incidents such as that is well into the realm of possibility. That some MAGA genius might take such talk as encouragement and cover is well into the realm of possibility. It costs you literally *nothing* to refer to Coronavirus using a name which doesn't bring the focus onto a group of people who are totally innocent of the disease's origins.

Comment

It costs you literally *nothing* to refer to Coronavirus using a name which doesn't bring the focus onto a group of people who are totally innocent of the disease's origins.
                Quite right.

I don't know most of you here well enough to accuse anyone of this (so I'm not), but attaching a country/race to the virus seems to be either about trolling, or racism/nationalism.

Comment

We hear Americans say “we’re better than this”.
                  The evidence is not in your favour:
                  The nation’s downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear “magically,” as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Americans are no better than other people. America is great, but Americans are letting democracy slip away from them by falling for fraudulent demogogues like Trump who exploit their political ignorance, their complacency, and their tribalist mindset. The demagogic plutocrats also lie and cheat to achieve their ends which is tyranny.

Comment

Quite right.

I don't know most of you here well enough to accuse anyone of this (so I'm not), but attaching a country/race to the virus seems to be either about trolling, or racism/nationalism.
                      Spanish flu...
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Americans are no better than other people. America is great, but Americans are letting democracy slip away from them by falling for fraudulent demogogues like Trump who exploit their political ignorance, their complacency, and their tribalist mindset. The demagogic plutocrats also lie and cheat to achieve their ends which is tyranny.
                        You probably blame Trump for Land O Lakes taking the Indian woman off the package, you boob.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Spanish flu...
                          Who says that is right. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            We punked you guys TWICE.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Who says it is wrong?
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                Spanish flu...
                                Who says it is wrong?
                                Me.

Viruses aren't nationalistic; the people who use them for propaganda are.
                                Last edited by Whateverman; 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment