Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    If this is true, it is the role of the US Justice Dept to investigate unacceptable behavior of US citizens, NOT that of a foreign government. Trump's error (not to mention bad judgement leading to impeachment) was trying to extort Ukraine for his own political gain.
    Everything I stated is fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      If this is true, it is the role of the US Justice Dept to investigate unacceptable behavior of US citizens, NOT that of a foreign government. Trump's error (not to mention bad judgement leading to impeachment) was trying to extort Ukraine for his own political gain.
      It is the responsibility of foreign governments to investigate companies doing business within their own borders.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
        Trump seemed to be proposing a joint investigation with Ukraine in coordination with the Department of Justice and Attorney General William Barr. There's nothing improper about that, especially when Joe and Co.'s dirty deeds took place on foreign soil.

But since you're apparently an expert () in US law, what legal code was violated by Trump's suggestion?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          It is the responsibility of foreign governments to investigate companies doing business within their own borders.
          And they have thousands of companies which it is their resposibility to investigate, not the U.S. responsibility to extort them into investigating. Plus, the charge isn't that Zelensky was extorted to investigate, just that he was extorted to announce an investigation. That in itself if proof that it wasn't about corruption in Ukraine, it was about trying to get a foriegn country to smear Biden, a political opponent of the extortionist.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            And they have thousands of companies which it is their resposibility to investigate, not the U.S. responsibility to extort them into investigating. Plus, the charge isn't that Zelensky was extorted to investigate, just that he was extorted to announce an investigation. That in itself if proof that it wasn't about corruption in Ukraine, it was about trying to get a foriegn country to smear Biden, a political opponent of the extortionist.
            Then why isn't extortion on the Articles of Impeachment?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Then why isn't extortion on the Articles of Impeachment?
              Because the charge is abuse of power which incompasses all the charges in the article. Those charges are spelled out in detail within the articles themselves.

Comment

Because the charge is abuse of power which incompasses all the charges in the article. Those charges are spelled out in detail within the articles themselves.
                Riiiiight… if you can't actually name a crime, invent a "catch-all"
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The extortion charge is explained in detail in the Articles. Read them!

Comment

Impeachable abuses have never required proof of crime. Trump’s behavior is a classic example of abuse of presidential power for personal, political gain and is therefore properly impeachable.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I think even Shifty Schiff realizes how weak the articles are for failing to name any actual crimes. He tried fixing it on the fly yesterday when he started talking about quid pro quo, even going so far as to misrepresent what Gordan Sondland said. Jay Sekulow was quick to point out that "quid pro quo" isn't even part of the indictment.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I think even Shifty Schiff realizes how weak the articles are for failing to name any actual crimes. He tried fixing it on the fly yesterday when he started talking about quid pro quo, even going so far as to misrepresent what Gordan Sondland said. Jay Sekulow was quick to point out that "quid pro quo" isn't even part of the indictment.
                        Scjiff is doing the Republicans a great service by boring the public to death, repeating the same things over and over and over and over...

And he may well have opened the door to requiring the Bidens - and himself - to be called as witnesses.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          As usual, you think wrong.

Comment

The extortion charge is explained in detail in the Articles. Read them!
                            Then why didn't they charge him with extortion? Hmm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Then why didn't they charge him with extortion? Hmm?
                              They did, it's called abuse of power.

Comment

They did, it's called abuse of power.
                                no Jim. Extortion is an actual crime. If he did it, they would have listed it as such in the Articles. Because that would be something that they could impeach him on constitutionally. "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" remember? "Abuse of Power" isn't a crime. It's an accusation.

Comment