Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication

So, I found a few Youtube videos were people were giving their testimony about being delivered from being gay and read comments below them saying the closing of Exodus or this or that organization or the fact that these big ex-gay people like the founder of Love Wins Out or that Stonewall Revisited guy gave in to their gay desires, proves that the person giving their testimony is going to go back and they look forward to them coming back to the LGBT community and and other snarky comments.

So the people saying these kinds of things usually cite psychology, which got me thinking these psychologists a that say gay people should give in to their desires and that people should get their reproductive organs removed and put on hormones or hormone blockers, to help with gender dysphoria are the same people who suggested I see a psychiatrist when I was 13 to put me medicine for my OCD. I can tell you now, I wish I never got on medicine and went to places for therapy instead. The medications never really help with my OCD, which is my fault too since I have it in the back of my mind that something bad would happen if I didn't have OCD.

Sites like the APA and Psychology Today seem to have a political agenda behind them. I'm thinking most psychologist today do too, which I know sounds like a nutty conspiracy theory, but what ever.

Originally posted by Christy View Post
    So, I found a few Youtube videos were people were giving their testimony about being delivered from being gay and read comments below them saying the closing of Exodus or this or that organization or the fact that these big ex-gay people like the founder of Love Wins Out or that Stonewall Revisited guy gave in to their gay desires, proves that the person giving their testimony is going to go back and they look forward to them coming back to the LGBT community and and other snarky comments.

So the people saying these kinds of things usually cite psychology, which got me thinking these psychologists a that say gay people should give in to their desires and that people should get their reproductive organs removed and put on hormones or hormone blockers, to help with gender dysphoria are the same people who suggested I see a psychiatrist when I was 13 to put me medicine for my OCD. I can tell you now, I wish I never got on medicine and went to places for therapy instead. The medications never really help with my OCD, which is my fault too since I have it in the back of my mind that something bad would happen if I didn't have OCD.

Sites like the APA and Psychology Today seem to have a political agenda behind them. I'm thinking most psychologist today do too, which I know sounds like a nutty conspiracy theory, but what ever.
    We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can psychiatric medication be misused? Certainly. Do they help millions of people. Yes. Political agenda? I find it suspicious that the only people who say X is biased by a political agenda are those who have an ideological issue that makes them likely to oppose X. In other words, we see organisations as having a political agenda if its agenda conflicts with our own political agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can psychiatric medication be misused? Certainly. Do they help millions of people. Yes. Political agenda? I find it suspicious that the only people who say X is biased by a political agenda are those who have an ideological issue that makes them likely to oppose X. In other words, we see organisations as having a political agenda if its agenda conflicts with our own political agenda.
      Not to mention that medications don't have identical effects on every person.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I know medication has helped people, and if somebody needs to take medication that's alright. I'm going to try to stop taking mine all together and try therapy, because I don't trust psychologists. Plus, I'm way worse when I'm off the medicine now than I was before I started taking it. I don't know if it's the medicine or if I just got worse. I'm hoping that therapy would help, when I start going, even though I'm afraid to do it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Comment

I know medication has helped people, and if somebody needs to take medication that's alright. I'm going to try to stop taking mine all together and try therapy, because I don't trust psychologists. Plus, I'm way worse when I'm off the medicine now than I was before I started taking it. I don't know if it's the medicine or if I just got worse. I'm hoping that therapy would help, when I start going, even though I'm afraid to do it. I don't know if that makes sense.
          If you don't trust psychologists, who's giving you therapy? Personally, I don't trust butchers.

Comment

My entire medical regimen consists of one baby aspirin every morning, and I turned out alright!

(ok, maybe that's a bad example)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Okay, Just a note, if your on psych meds, please come off under a physician or naturopath doctor's supervision, you need to taper off slowly, the correct physician can give you some natural alternatives that will help counter balance some of the more severe withdrawal symptoms.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Also I am on some very necessary psych meds, that after years of off and on, we've discovered I absolutely am unable to cope without. Its a balance and a very tricky one. I also do natural supplementing and cautious eating. I still have some side effects, but I'll take them over the other stuff....
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Craig Blomberg's most recent book totally goes after Christians who are anti-psychology in one of the chapters. I think he's right.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If you don't trust psychologists, who's giving you therapy? Personally, I don't trust butchers.
                    I mean hands on therapy. I shouldn't really have said psychologists but modern psychology itself.

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Okay, Just a note, if your on psych meds, please come off under a physician or naturopath doctor's supervision, you need to taper off slowly, the correct physician can give you some natural alternatives that will help counter balance some of the more severe withdrawal symptoms.
                    I'm taking fluvoxamine. I've been on and off it a number of times. I haven't took it for a couple of days now.

Comment

I mean hands on therapy. I shouldn't really have said psychologists but modern psychology itself.

I'm taking fluvoxamine. I've been on and off it a number of times. I haven't took it for a couple of days now.
                      Hand on therapy? Do you mean laying on of hands in a Christian context?

Be very careful, suddenly ceasing psychoactive medication is very dangerous.

Comment

You should probably talk to someone about other medication alternatives. There are usually several kinds, and dosages/types can make a big difference. It can be a trick to get all of that sorted out.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hand on therapy? Do you mean laying on of hands in a Christian context?
                          No way.

Comment

No way.
                            Well then, I have no idea what you're talking about. What is 'hands on therapy' for OCD?

Comment

Well then, I have no idea what you're talking about. What is 'hands on therapy' for OCD?
                              The kind of therapy where they expose the person to the things that they think would contaminate them, or whatever it is that sets off their compulsions and not let them do what they usually do to relieve the stress.

Like say a person has contamination OCD and whenever they touch something that they think would contaminate them they wash vigorously. In therapy, the person would be made to touch whatever it is that they think is contaminated and then not be allowed to wash their hands or whatever.

They would have to go back to therapy a number of times because the OCD would most likely come back, or if they stop OCDing about the original thing that they were in therapy for, it would be about something else they would be OCDing about.

Yeah, you all are right though, I shouldn't go off my medicine right now until I talk to somebody about it.
                              Last edited by Christy; 01-23-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment