Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Not at all. Homosexuality is evolutionarily “normal”, albeit a minority, form of normalcy.

Normal: conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
      ALL “beliefs” originated via men, where else would they come from?
      But surely you recognize that beliefs are either true or false.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Pedophilia will NEVER become socially acceptable for the same reason rape will never become socially acceptable. Because, in both instances, they are non-consensual. There are victims.
        For the pedophile, this is merely a legal problem and not a moral one; reduce or eliminate age of consent laws, and he's golden.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that people were saying the same thing about homosexuality that you're saying about pedophilia, that it would never become socially acceptable for a variety of reasons that they assumed were set in stone, but look where we are today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          For the pedophile, this is merely a legal problem and not a moral one; reduce or eliminate age of consent laws, and he's golden.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that people were saying the same thing about homosexuality that you're saying about pedophilia, that it would never become socially acceptable for a variety of reasons that they assumed were set in stone, but look where we are today.
          And that's exactly how little Jimmy was vigorously defending NAMBLA -- on the basis of it being an 'age of consent' thing.
          Originally posted by JimL View Post
          You're cited quote says nothing about pre-pubescent boys, it says boys. Tell me, when you were a 15, 16 or 17 year old boy were you capable of making your own choices.
          How do you define "a boy" CP? How does NAMBLA define "a boy?" Do you know?
          So what, maybe IGLA at the time agreed with NAMBLA that the age of consent law was oppressive to youth, but they were never advocates of pedophilia which they made clear long before they ousted NAMBLA.
          Yes, I know what it stands for, it's about age of consent laws CP.

Tassman was in that whole conversation, as well, so....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            Normal behavior means whatever society determines it to mean, but it determines its meaning by way of reason.Sometimes we can get it wrong, like dubbing homosexuality abnormal only to recognize after the fact that it is a perfectly normal human condition. Some people are just not amenable to reason.
            I don't suppose you realize that this argument cuts its own throat. If society and reason can get it wrong then how do you know when it gets it right? What is your baseline?

Comment

• When you find yourself vigorously defending NAMBLA that should be an obvious red flag for yourself that it is time to step back, take a deep breath and rethink the position of never admitting your wrong at all costs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Not really. The normal function of the sex organs is for attempts at sexual reproduction.
                The sex organs are also for giving pleasure, not just procreation. Arguably the former is more common.

Not really. variations from normal are by definition abnormalities. For instance, there are roughly the same percentage of people with Down's Syndrome and that have red hair. Would you call Down's Syndrome normal?
                “Abnormal” is usually understood as “deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying” – Merriam Webster.

Whilst this would apply to a person with Down’s Syndrome it does not apply to those with red hair, or ‘left-handed’ or, given our current state of knowledge, homosexual...all of which are just variations of the norm.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• And adults who like to have sex with young children, and young children who like to have sex with adults is just another "variation of the norm", right?

This is the problem with arguments that defend homosexuality as "normal": they can also be used to defend pedophilia. Your choice is to either hypocritically reject the arguments, or swallow your disgust and defend pedophilia. I wonder which you'll choose?

Comment

And adults who like to have sex with young children, and young children who like to have sex with adults is just another "variation of the norm", right?

This is the problem with arguments that defend homosexuality as "normal": they can also be used to defend pedophilia.
                    Just as “normal” heterosexuality can be used to defend rape and sexual exploitation of women such as grabbing their genitals.

Your choice is to either hypocritically reject the arguments, or swallow your disgust and defend pedophilia. I wonder which you'll choose?
                    Or, more appropriately, reject any sexual behavior that results in victims, such as rape and pedophilia, and accept behavior that is based upon mutual consent and love.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Just as “normal” heterosexuality can be used to defend rape and sexual exploitation of women such as grabbing their genitals.
                      Those seemingly fall into the "variation of the norm" that the left wants to defend as okay.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Or, more appropriately, reject any sexual behavior that results in victims, such as rape and pedophilia, and accept behavior that is based upon mutual consent and love.
                        Like I said, your entire argument is based on the premise that children can't consent, which is a legal objection and not a moral one. What if psychologists faced with social pressure suddenly "discover" that they can consent, and the laws are changed accordingly? Well then, pedophilia would be considered "normal".

Heck, we're already part way there with organizations like the American Psychiatric Association downgrading pedophilia from a disorder to merely an "atypical sexual interest" with liberals like you and JimL applauding and depending this. Just be careful where you step, because that slope is slippery as hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          But WAS it actually a mental illness, Tassman? According to your definition is actually WAS one. Which means it still would be.

Maybe not in American society, but in others it was/is. Mohammad married a 14 year old girl remember? And raping used to be the standard way of taking control of captive women in many societies. In fact I think it is still legal to not only beat but rape your wife under Sharia law.

Actually she was 9 according to the sources. They used a lunar calendar at the time, which if I'm remembering right puts her around 6 under our solar calendar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            Actually she was 9 according to the sources. They used a lunar calendar at the time, which if I'm remembering right puts her around 6 under our solar calendar.
                            IIRC she was 7 when they married and Muhammad was forced to wait until she was 9 to consummate the marriage due to a prolonged illness on her part.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              IIRC she was 7 when they married and Muhammad was forced to wait until she was 9 to consummate the marriage due to a prolonged illness on her part.
                              He was real gentleman.

Comment

I don't suppose you realize that this argument cuts its own throat. If society and reason can get it wrong then how do you know when it gets it right? What is your baseline?
                                If god can get it wrong, then how do you know when he gets it right? We as human beings decide what is in the best interests of ourselves and the society we live in. We don't always get that right, and morality evolves as do we. You attribute those changes to god, even though you call it an objective standard, I attribute them to human evolution.

Comment