Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Luke 1:43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Remember that he also holds the view that Jesus' human nature was not added to himself. Rather he holds the unorthodox view that Jesus had two natures before the incarnation, a divine nature and a placeholder nature that turned into a human nature at his incarnation.
    yeah, but that doesn't really change anything regarding the birth and whether Mary can be called "the mother of God" in the sense that Catholics use the term.

Personally I think the title is a bit presumptive, I think Mary would be too humble to consider herself "the Mother of God"

But I understand what they mean by the title. They are not claiming that Mary is higher than God, or created God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      yeah, but that doesn't really change anything regarding the birth and whether Mary can be called "the mother of God" in the sense that Catholics use the term.

Personally I think the title is a bit presumptive, I think Mary would be too humble to consider herself "the Mother of God"

But I understand what they mean by the title. They are not claiming that Mary is higher than God, or created God.
      I'm pretty sure that every single person who is venerated as a saint would be too humble to consider themselves such.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Right. I was just pointing out how error compounds upon error. His Christology was already on shaky ground. It's no surprise it gets messier the deeper you dig.

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'm pretty sure that every single person who is venerated as a saint would be too humble to consider themselves such.
          yeah I have a problem with "sainthood" for the same reasons.

Comment

yeah I have a problem with "sainthood" for the same reasons.
            On a far more mundane level, if your firm honored you with "Employee of the Year" would you turn it down because you didn't feel worthy of the honor?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

On a far more mundane level, if your firm honored you with "Employee of the Year" would you turn it down because you didn't feel worthy of the honor?
              That's a fair point. But I wouldn't like it if they said "Now that you are employee of the year, we will put your picture up on the wall and people will pray to it and expect you to help them all because that's your new job"

Comment

That's a fair point. But I wouldn't like it if they said "Now that you are employee of the year, we will put your picture up on the wall and people will pray to it and expect you to help them all because that's your new job"
                When someone asks me to pray for them, I don't consider that as a job assignment.

sigpic

Comment

Would a saint really indulge in false humility?
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

When someone asks me to pray for them, I don't consider that as a job assignment.
                    It just seems way too conveniently like rewriting the whole pantheon of Gods into Christianity to me. Instead of a god/goddess of such and such you have a saint for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Would a saint really indulge in false humility?
                      No. A saint would be truly humble. The closer one gets to God, the more one's faults are visible. Knowing that I'm a sinful man doesn't prevent me from praying for others, however.

sigpic

Comment

Seems to me that a saint would likely know what he was - and would be unlikely to deny it.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It just seems way too conveniently like rewriting the whole pantheon of Gods into Christianity to me. Instead of a god/goddess of such and such you have a saint for it.
                          That's actually an ignorant way to look at things, AFAICT. There were gods pagans prayed to for various things, but it's not like there's a saint of trees or the ocean or love or whatnot. It's sort of human nature to go to, e.g., a famous sailor for help with sailing. In Christianity, it is improper to believe that the saint actually does the curing, and any saint can intercede for any problem. That's a completely different concept than needing to go to a particular god for that god to exert its powers in a certain situation.

sigpic

Comment

Seems to me that a saint would likely know what he was - and would be unlikely to deny it.
                            From the saint's point of view, because he is so close to God he can see the faults we can't see - so he could truthfully say that he is a sinner. Again, it's largely beside the point; he'd still intercede regardless.

sigpic

Comment

In short - you're saying that Jesus of Nazareth had been God, and would be God after his resurrection ... but he sort of temporarily retired from being God for the duration and became a man.
                              No. The Son of God's Godhood would throughout remain unchanged. God does not change.
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

That's actually an ignorant way to look at things, AFAICT. There were gods pagans prayed to for various things, but it's not like there's a saint of trees or the ocean or love or whatnot. It's sort of human nature to go to, e.g., a famous sailor for help with sailing. In Christianity, it is improper to believe that the saint actually does the curing, and any saint can intercede for any problem. That's a completely different concept than needing to go to a particular god for that god to exert its powers in a certain situation.
                                I don't know about in Orthodoxy but in Catholicism you have "Patron" saints of various things from AIDs caregivers to Zoos.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X