Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Dig up what you will, CP,
    I have YOU to thank, Jimmy!

the Episcopalian god is the christian god, Jesus, the belief in which makes one a christian. You don't have to like it, but Episcopalians are christians.
    Well, you're just flat out wrong, Jimmy. Maybe I should have made the parts bigger and bolder where Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori ....

... mocked most of the crucial doctrines of the Christian faith, including the God of creation, the Incarnation, and the Trinity. She accomplishes this through her demeaning use of rhetoric. She taunts the Lord by the use of the name ‘Big Man’ and then points her finger at everyone listening and tells them that they have ‘missed the boat.’

You know who mocks the crucial doctrines of the Christian faith, Jimmy? You and Tassman! YOU could be a "Christian" by THIS standard!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Well, there's one Episcopalian that we like around here (she's on staff)...
      I'd love her input on this whole thing where "A few years ago, the annual national Episcopal convention overwhelmingly refused even to consider a resolution affirming that Jesus Christ is Lord".

It appears there's quite a battle going on within the Episcopal folks.

Upon returning home from that meeting, Bishop Peter H. Beckwith, leader of the Springfield, Illinois, diocese, wrote in a pastoral letter that the Episcopal church was “in meltdown.”

Beckwith has joined bishops in the dioceses of Central Florida, Dallas, Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, California, and South Carolina in asking their church’s top official, the Archbishop of Canterbury in England, for permission to pull out.

Beckwith says the failure of the resolution introduced by conservatives to declare the church’s “unchanging commitment to Jesus Christ as the son of God, the only name by which any person may be saved” was extremely disturbing.

“When a Christian church cannot bring itself to endorse a bedrock Christian theological statement repeatedly found in the New Testament, it is not a serious Christian church,” wrote Allen.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'd love her input on this whole thing where "A few years ago, the annual national Episcopal convention overwhelmingly refused even to consider a resolution affirming that Jesus Christ is Lord".

It appears there's quite a battle going on within the Episcopal folks.

Upon returning home from that meeting, Bishop Peter H. Beckwith, leader of the Springfield, Illinois, diocese, wrote in a pastoral letter that the Episcopal church was “in meltdown.”

Beckwith has joined bishops in the dioceses of Central Florida, Dallas, Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, California, and South Carolina in asking their church’s top official, the Archbishop of Canterbury in England, for permission to pull out.

Beckwith says the failure of the resolution introduced by conservatives to declare the church’s “unchanging commitment to Jesus Christ as the son of God, the only name by which any person may be saved” was extremely disturbing.

“When a Christian church cannot bring itself to endorse a bedrock Christian theological statement repeatedly found in the New Testament, it is not a serious Christian church,” wrote Allen.
        In a church, that should be as controversial as affirming that 1+1=2.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          In a church, that should be as controversial as affirming that 1+1=2.
          It kinda reminds me of the Democrat Convention where they had a hard time bringing themselves to allow God back in their party platform.

Comment

I have YOU to thank, Jimmy!

Well, you're just flat out wrong, Jimmy. Maybe I should have made the parts bigger and bolder where Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori ....

... mocked most of the crucial doctrines of the Christian faith, including the God of creation, the Incarnation, and the Trinity. She accomplishes this through her demeaning use of rhetoric. She taunts the Lord by the use of the name ‘Big Man’ and then points her finger at everyone listening and tells them that they have ‘missed the boat.’
            So, you disagree with the Episcopalian Church (or at least your quote-mined version of it); there's no need to shout about it. It no doubt disagrees with your narrow, judgmental version of Christianity, which is so full of hate.

What’s your point other than “I’m right and they’re wrong?" Because this is all you’re saying. You are aware I take it that ‘spiritual pride’ is a sin?

You know who mocks the crucial doctrines of the Christian faith, Jimmy? You and Tassman! YOU could be a "Christian" by THIS standard!
            Well I'm sure we don't want to be a Christian by your standard.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• “Jefferts Schori leaves a wide wake of destruction behind with this sermon: the eternal triune God has been torn down, human beings are to boldly claim our place as God, and the sacraments of the Eucharist and Baptism have been turned into things our hands make. In other words, Jefferts Schori accepts that now humanity, animals and God are one undifferentiated blob.
              This is essentially a form of solipsism

Not so sure about solipsism - looks to me more like pantheism. (though other details might change that.)
              One thing Schori did get right though - the Anglican church did miss the boat. There's nothing that should have prevented Schori's excommunication.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A 'christian sect'?
                Right now trying to work out how to complain to Google.

If Spong and co. were in charge, maybe I wouldn't.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Yes, and society has a particular moral goal in mind, the best interests of all the members therein.
                  You mean like the Soviet and Maoist or Nazi societies?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    This is interesting. There are a number of people who are self-proclaimed Christians like John Shelby Spong, Robert Funk, Lloyd Geering, and John Dominic Crossan who do not believe in God. In the past on this forum, Christians have been told by skeptics that a Christian is merely anyone who claims they are one (regardless of what they believe). Do you not agree with this? Do you believe that there are certain prerequisites to one calling oneself a Christian? Would you not consider Crossan or Spong Christians?
                    Jim, did you miss this post?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      So, you disagree with the Episcopalian Church (or at least your quote-mined version of it); there's no need to shout about it. It no doubt disagrees with your narrow, judgmental version of Christianity, which is so full of hate.
                      I've discussed church history enough with you that you're well aware just how inapt your accusation is here. You're not even bothering to pretend to have a reasonable discussion at this point; all you're trying to do is get Cow Poke mad. The rest of your post is simply further attempts at doing the same.

Don't you have anything better to do, like drinking fine whisky and making daisy chains?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wow, Jimmy! You might be right after all! The Episcopal Church in America does, indeed, seem to be fast approaching "sect" status instead of "denomination"....
                        Hey CP, not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, while the word "sect" can refer to something like a "cult", it's also often used as a synonym for "denomination". Confusing, I know. I remember as a kid in the 80s that there used to be a lot of parodies on the popular book "The Joy of Sex" called "The Joy of Sects," which was essentially poking fun at all of the different denominations within Christianity.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I gotta hand it to you, Jimmy -- without your goofy claim that Pete is a Christian because he's an Episcopalian, I wouldn't have dug in to find out stuff like this...
                        I'm a bit surprised that this is news to you. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Episcopalian church was one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal leaning major denomination in the US. After all, John Shelby Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. Have you ever crossed paths with them doing interdenominational stuff? The Methodists are splitting up for many of the same reasons as are a lot of other Mainline denominations (that's been posted about on this forum quite a bit over the years). In the Anglican church over in England, where the Episcopals came from, there is wide differences in theological beliefs and practices between different churches. You have plenty that are similarly super liberal in their view of Christianity, and then there are some who consider themselves within the Evangelical fold. NT Wright was the Bishop of Durham, and he leans far more conservative theologically (though he has some views on stewardship, treatment of the poor, and evangelism that might see him politically liberal in the eyes of a lot of American Christians).

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I've discussed church history enough with you that you're well aware just how inapt your accusation is here. You're not even bothering to pretend to have a reasonable discussion at this point; all you're trying to do is get Cow Poke mad. The rest of your post is simply further attempts at doing the same.

Don't you have anything better to do, like drinking fine whisky and making daisy chains?
                          It's just amazingly amusing how hard Tassman is trying to make a practicing homosexual a practicing Christian by any means necessary.

Comment

Hey CP, not sure if you're aware of this or not, but, while the word "sect" can refer to something like a "cult", it's also often used as a synonym for "denomination". Confusing, I know. I remember as a kid in the 80s that there used to be a lot of parodies on the popular book "The Joy of Sex" called "The Joy of Sects," which was essentially poking fun at all of the different denominations within Christianity.
                            Sure, but a major denomination isn't usually referred to as a sect - unless they're somewhat of a cult, so....

I'm a bit surprised that this is news to you. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Episcopalian church was one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal leaning major denomination in the US. After all, John Shelby Spong was an Episcopalian Bishop. Have you ever crossed paths with them doing interdenominational stuff? The Methodists are splitting up for many of the same reasons as are a lot of other Mainline denominations (that's been posted about on this forum quite a bit over the years). In the Anglican church over in England, where the Episcopals came from, there is wide differences in theological beliefs and practices between different churches. You have plenty that are similarly super liberal in their view of Christianity, and then there are some who consider themselves within the Evangelical fold. NT Wright was the Bishop of Durham, and he leans far more conservative theologically (though he has some views on stewardship, treatment of the poor, and evangelism that might see him politically liberal in the eyes of a lot of American Christians).
                            I knew the Episcopalian Church was more liberal, but I had no idea the extent to which the official leadership denigrated the main tenants of Christianity. That was a surprise to me.

Comment

Jim, did you miss this post?
                              Couldn't tell you what others believe. Some probably agree with and follow christian morality and so consider themselves christian in that respect. I can't tell you what their thinking is. But Buttegieg is a proclaimed Episcopalian, and the Episcopalian church is a Christian church based on a belief in Jesus as Lord and savior. I'll leave the mind reading to you guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                So, you disagree with the Episcopalian Church (or at least your quote-mined version of it);...
                                I quoted from their own leadership, Tassman. But do continue your twisted spin - it's rather amusing to watch.

Comment