Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I Paid Less than $2.50 a gallon for gasoline!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Good for our pocket books...but, unfortunately for our Texas economy, if it goes very much lower, it will start causing problems with our in State oil production. At $75 a barrel, Texas Shale oil wells become unprofitable, according to this Bloomberg article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...rofitable.html

I remember when the oil industry in the 80's crashed. Lot's of Oil people lost it all, put thousands out of work. There are hundreds if not thousands of Oil Well maintenance/repair companies across Texas that are the first to go out of business when the wells are capped...

So, it's a two edged sword for us...
    But also bad for Russia, Iran, Venezuela and many other groups that aren't exactly friendly to us.

Gas here ranges from $2.71 to $2.75

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I remember when the cheapest gas stations around town charged 23.9¢/gal.
      19¢ and they cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and tires and gave green stamps!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        And I must amend: milk is about 1.20 a litre. I was thinking of 2.39 for 2 litres, which is what I buy.

In the Imperial system used in Canada in the old days, there are 4.4 litres in an Imperial gallon.

Easy math--4.4 x price = cost in Imperial.

The U.S. uses a slightly smaller gallon. Hence, 4 litres would equal a US gallon.

So, even if I used a US gallon as reference, we are paying, here in Alberta, about 4.00 a gallon for gas, and about 4.80 a gallon for milk.

In other parts of Canada, gas is much higher.
        I thought that it was roughly 3¾ liters per gallon

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          19¢ and they cleaned your windshield, checked your oil and tires and gave green stamps!
          I think 19 cents is the lowest I ever remember --- could fill up my car for about $4.00 total.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think 19 cents is the lowest I ever remember --- could fill up my car for about $4.00 total.
            That was well before I was old enough to drive. I think the lowest I ever paid was around 60¢

Comment

That was well before I was old enough to drive. I think the lowest I ever paid was around 60¢
              You know, you're probably right... 19 cents was when there were "gas wars", and I was still mowing lawns for money. I bet it was more like 25 cents when I started driving, cause I remember being told it was going up to 75 cents, and I thought that was absolutely ridiculous.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                I remember when the cheapest gas stations around town charged 23.9¢/gal.
                That is only because you are getting old. I remember that too.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISWPzEqHLQ
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

If I recall it was only in the "gas wars" where we got down below 20¢.

ETA: Missed your post saying the same thing, CP.

Comment

It always gets me that gas prices are expressed as x.xx.9 -- I remember when a tax was added to gasoline, and it did not end in "point nine", yet the next day, all gas stations STILL had their prices posted with "point nine" as the last part.

Have you EVER seen a gas price displayed as anything OTHER than ending in "point 9"?

Comment

It always gets me that gas prices are expressed as x.xx.9 -- I remember when a tax was added to gasoline, and it did not end in "point nine", yet the next day, all gas stations STILL had their prices posted with "point nine" as the last part.

Have you EVER seen a gas price displayed as anything OTHER than ending in "point 9"?
                        No. And I never got any 10th of a cent back either!

Comment

I remember green stamps! The supermarket where I grew up gave them.

The lowest gas price I remember, though, was .799 right after Gulf War I. I just paid $2.68/gal to fill up a couple days ago.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            No. And I never got any 10th of a cent back either!
                            I'm trying to remember if the .x was used during the gas war... like 19.4 cents as opposed to 19.8 or something.

Comment

I remember when gas prices shot up and people started stealing it right out of your car.

Comment

It is often .0 or .5 here. Sometimes .4, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X