Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Botham Shem Jean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I can't sit through *any* movie to be honest with you.
    Say that about Casablanca.

tenor.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      Thinking it over, I'm gonna modify that last ... I freaking adored The Princess Bride.

But you'd have to go Clockwork Orange on me to get me to watch the Minions.
      I have to make the same exception. The night I met Cath's parents, they showed me TPB. I kind of dreaded having to spend a couple hours watching a movie, but it was downright hilarious.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• ^^ Took some serious searching to find a way to post that without busting decorum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Say that about Casablanca.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40070[/ATTACH]
          I tried watching that a couple years ago. I got bored several minutes in. Maybe again someday.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• A sentence is about to be pronounced.

I think.

Yup - Jury is coming back.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have to make the same exception. The night I met Cath's parents, they showed me TPB. I kind of dreaded having to spend a couple hours watching a movie, but it was downright hilarious.
              "How many of you guys have seen The Princess Bride?"

... scattered, confused looks ...

"Hold on, let me fix that ... How many of you guys haven't seen The Princess Bride."

... hands start popping ...

"Y'all NEED to fix that."

Because sometimes, I just have to get my justice for having one of these little freaks introduce me to the Kardashians. Last week, so I could know, for sure, we had a shared meme, I took three minutes of class time and made my baby calc'ers watch ...

Comment

I can't sit through *any* movie to be honest with you.

Comment

• Judge has seated the court, defendants are standing....

Unanimously - not sudden passion - 10 years in prison. Fine of 0 dollars. Remanded to Texas Department of Corrections.

She will be eligible for parole at 50% of actual time served, or 5 years.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    For some reason, I actually loved "Bug's Life", after watching it about 137 times with my grandkids.
                    Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

The idea that something is a meme or is popular is not a good defense. I had a co-worker who displayed a picture of Jim Mattis at his workspace with the text "Make killing great again". It turns out this slogan was somewhat popular among military people of a conservative bent, but that doesn't make it right. I think the attitude is borderline demonic. And there are many, many memes out there that are bad. I really hate meme culture in general, to be honest. (I think it's flippant and substitutes for serious thought.)

For better or worse, when you are a police officer, talking about how you hate everybody (especially black people) just isn't going to fly. You're a public servant and held to higher standards. This is especially important at a time when public trust in police is at a low because of so many high profile bad cops (like the guy in Florida who went around planting meth on random motorists, or the many bad shootings).
                      You don't use Pinterest, do you? There's a reason that is relevant.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Judge has seated the court, defendants are standing....

Unanimously - not sudden passion - 10 years in prison. Fine of 0 dollars. Remanded to Texas Department of Corrections.

She will be eligible for parole at 50% of actual time served, or 5 years.
                        I think, taking everything into account that this is a fair sentence...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          You don't use Pinterest, do you? There's a reason that is relevant.
                          No but I see plenty of middle aged women posting similar memes (like on my wife's friends list). Same general culture and the types of people who probably use Pinterest.

Comment

• Unclear whether there will be 'victim impact' statements -- Bothom's family is still in the room, Amber Guyger has left, but it's possible she'll be brought back in for the statements.

(Quite a bit of disturbance out in the hall, "no justice - no peace"....)

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              I think, taking everything into account that this is a fair sentence...
                              Yeah, I was concerned they might go for a "we have to make a statement" sentence, and maybe 25-40 years or more. I think 10 years is not at all unreasonable.

Comment

• CP: You know why!

Strawberry: Meme, not quote - but the Minions are not originally good guys. One Minion movie revolves around them inadvertently becoming heroes while trying to find a bad guy to follow.

Adrift/KG: Pinterest PRELOADS comments. Could we at least use evidence with ACTUAL attribution instead of a freaking guess?
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment