Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, Jim, the government directly subsidizes partisan political activity: primaries, campaign financing, etc.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

IMG_1156.JPG

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        I think that it is basically that clear, just not understood as so..
        I think the Democrat politicians in Fourth Ward, Houston, know perfectly well that they are violating the law - they just don't care, and nobody is going to to anything about it because that'd be "racist".

There is no law against preaching spiritual or moral beliefs.
        Not in the US, yet. Canada, on the other hand...

I'm sure there are many offenders in white american churches visited by white conservative politicians as well. Regardless, in either case it's against the law. Report it next time!
        Report it to whom? And what do you think will be done? It's LEGENDARY, Jim - it's a well known fact.

I'm sure they can get around that one easily enough.
        Who is they? And "they" would have to sign an affirmation, punishable by law, that they received no benefit, blah blah blah...

Mayhaps, but perhaps if you report it, something will be done about it.
        Again, it's a well known practice that the politicians and those who should be concerned happily ignore.

Agreed, it should be enforced, it's not about free speech, it's about the integrity of the tax system and in the government not subsidizing partisan political activity.
        Free speech is most definitely involved, as is the "prohibition" clause of the First Amendment. The "balancing act" is that the purpose of the sermon or speech in a 501(c)3 cannot be to endorse a candidate or political party.

I think, though, that for the most part, we're really not in much disagreement on this.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Well, at least he's not as big of a southbound mule part as SL - even when he makes you want to take a boffo bat to his head, he's usually just catty and not nasty about it.

Anyone can screw up - takes guts to own up*. To FF2's credit, I've seen him do that.
          I do have a tendency to get those two mixed up in my head, as they're both "outsiders" who seem to think they know more about our Country than those of us who actually live here. I need to pay more attention to the fact that Starlight is the attack dog and ff is the playful kitten.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I do have a tendency to get those two mixed up in my head, as they're both "outsiders" who seem to think they know more about our Country than those of us who actually live here. I need to pay more attention to the fact that Starlight is the attack dog and ff is the playful kitten.
            Er, more like 'junk yard dog' and 'half grown feral cat that can't decide if it should tolerate you or scratch your hand'.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]40217[/ATTACH]
              Presumably, by “the gospel of Christ and His church” Mr. Benge is referring the Southern Baptist version of it as taught at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. And NOT say, the “One True Church” as proclaimed by the pope nor any of the hundreds of other versions of Christianity in the world today.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Actually, we're unwaveringly certain that God is right, and that His Word represents His will for us.
                Who is the “us” to whom you refer…the Southern Baptists?

If we're not right - if God's Word isn't true - is there a Hell?
                Maybe the Word is “true” but you’ve got it wrong. The Catholics certainly think you have. So yes, in their view, you will go to hell.

Should it surprise anybody at all that your strawman argument comes from one single verse in James (2:24) ripped out of context?
                So, you’re saying that the great reformer of the Church, Martin Luther, got it wrong when he designated the Epistle of James as an "epistle of straw." This merely reinforces my point that the bible is what Christians want it to be and scripture is interpreted accordingly.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Maybe the Word is “true” but you’ve got it wrong. The Catholics certainly think you have. So yes, in their view, you will go to hell.

So, you’re saying that the great reformer of the Church, Martin Luther, got it wrong when he designated the Epistle of James as an "epistle of straw." This merely reinforces my point that the bible is what Christians want it to be and scripture is interpreted accordingly.
                  You are an intelligent person Tassman, it seems to me you would take the time to think a little deeper to at least try to understand a bit more about this issue than such a simplistic dismissal.

First, the christian scripture is also the jewish scripture. And all in all, there isxsomewgere around 1/4 of the world's population that finds much more in that text than 'what we want it to be'. There are literally millions of people on this Earth that because of what that book tells them have found reason to abandon drug and alchohol addictions, to go from abusive fathers and mothers to people that care for and love their spousesxand children. Muderors that have become prison ministers or other productive members of society.

There is a message of hope, of forgiveness, of mercy and love in those pages that transcends the sort of a ademic debate you are concerned about here.

And that hope and mercy and forgiveness is its power and its reality.

And that message is the message all Christian's gold in common, regardless of the outward trappings that confuse and in some cases divide.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Um, Jim, the government directly subsidizes partisan political activity: primaries, campaign financing, etc.
                    The government doesn't play favorites, it isn't partisan, Tea. Whatever subsidies you are speaking of would apply to all candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      You are an intelligent person Tassman, it seems to me you would take the time to think a little deeper to at least try to understand a bit more about this issue than such a simplistic dismissal.

First, the christian scripture is also the jewish scripture. And all in all, there isxsomewgere around 1/4 of the world's population that finds much more in that text than 'what we want it to be'. There are literally millions of people on this Earth that because of what that book tells them have found reason to abandon drug and alchohol addictions, to go from abusive fathers and mothers to people that care for and love their spousesxand children. Muderors that have become prison ministers or other productive members of society.

There is a message of hope, of forgiveness, of mercy and love in those pages that transcends the sort of a ademic debate you are concerned about here.

And that hope and mercy and forgiveness is its power and its reality.

And that message is the message all Christian's gold in common, regardless of the outward trappings that confuse and in some cases divide.

Jim
                      I don't think Tass is arguing that there is no wisdom to live by therein, Jim. I'm sure there is like wisdom in the Koran as well, but that doesn't make the reality of neither the one, nor the other story, historic in nature, or the revealed word of god.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        You really have a thing for Southern Baptists, don't you?

You can speak for ALL Catholics? Because the ones in my ministerial association don't believe that at all.

Comment

The government doesn't play favorites, it isn't partisan, Tea.
                          You seriously can't believe that - the government plays favorites all the time.

Whatever subsidies you are speaking of would apply to all candidates.
                          Two words, Jim -- Pork and Barrel.

Comment

You seriously can't believe that - the government plays favorites all the time.

Two words, Jim -- Pork and Barrel.
                            We are talking about the subsidizing of political activity/campaigns, CP.

Comment

You really have a thing for Southern Baptists, don't you?

You can speak for ALL Catholics? Because the ones in my ministerial association don't believe that at all.
                              That's exactly his point, neither can you

Comment

We are talking about the subsidizing of political activity/campaigns, CP.
                                Yes, I'm well aware of that, but your blanket statement "The government doesn't play favorites, it isn't partisan" is preposterous, Jim. Money is the mother's milk of politics, as they say.

Both sides, when in power, will do nearly anything to keep themselves in power. Your blind trust in "the government" is, in my opinion, seriously misguided.

Comment