Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can a Sitting President be Indicted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Hey dumbell, it doesn't matter what you call it, Mueller, a DOJ employee, was following DOJ policy, and that you can't indict a sitting President is DOJ policy. The solution in the case of a criminal sitting President, is impeachment. Muellers intention, as was made clear in the report itself, was to turn it over to Congress, and Congress will eventually get it in full as they always have and perhaps then your little brains will see what a treasonous, lying, con man, you've been snookered by in Trump.
    You call me "dumbell" but don't know the difference between an opinion, a law, and a policy and you still can't actually cite or referenc any policy.

Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Too lazy to Google it yourself, are you?

"WHAT IS THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT POLICY? In 1973, in the midst of the Watergate scandal engulfing President Richard Nixon, the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel adopted in an internal memo the position that a sitting president cannot be indicted......".

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1QF1D3
      I actually linked to the legal opinion quite a while ago, Tassman.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I actually linked to the legal opinion quite a while ago, Tassman.
        As did I. Several times.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You call me "dumbell" but don't know the difference between an opinion, a law, and a policy and you still can't actually cite or referenc any policy.

Hilarious.
          Jimmy's still searching liberaltalkingpointsforliberals.com.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The policy can't be changed by Mueller, ergo he followed it. And if you are too stupid to recognize that the Atty Gen. is covering up for the President by mischaracterizing the Mueller report to the public and keeping it from Congressional analysis, then that just shows what a dunce you are. More likely you are a fraud, because I don't believe you are that stupid.
            Policy can be ignored ... I have known at least one person who did it.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Jimmy seems incapable of grasping that concept - that policy is more of an internal guideline or practice. The classic distinction is "binding". Law is. Policy is not.

Comment

Whether it can be ignored is debatable, but regarless, Mueller, as is his character, followed the policy which in his mind was the right thing to do.

Comment

Whether it can be ignored is debatable, but regarless, Mueller, as is his character, followed the policy which in his mind was the right thing to do.
                  So, you're finally backing away from your initial idiot proclamation that....

How many times do you need to read the Mueller report before your able understand that he, according to the Justice dept. law, can not charge/indict a sitting president.
                  You're finally beginning to grasp that it was, indeed, policy, which might actually be capable of being ignored? (And he obviously didn't ignore it)

Comment

Not only could the policy have been ignored, but there is no policy in place that would have prevented Mueller from plainly stating that the President broke the law and recommending indictment, which would have put the ball squarely (roundly?) in Barr's court. This Mueller conspicuously failed to do.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      So, you're finally backing away from your initial idiot proclamation that....

You're finally beginning to grasp that it was, indeed, policy, which might actually be capable of being ignored? (And he obviously didn't ignore it)
                      No, I'm not. Employee's can not willy nilly ignore department policy. Mueller was following policy just as he was required to do. Had he not, you'd be arguing just the opposite. What Mueller did was to gather the evidence, suggested indictment, "no man is above the law" and left it to congress to decide whether to impeach or not. It's not his call, and neither is it the Presidents unelected shills call, it's the responsibility of congress.
                      Last edited by JimL; 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

No, I'm not. Employee's can not willy nilly ignore department policy.
                        "Willy-nilly" no - it has to be done with extreme care, and every step double and triple checked. One misstep and the person who does it is toast.
                        Mueller was following policy just as he was required to do. Had he not, you'd be arguing just the opposite.
                        If grounds had been found to indict, there would have been no time wasted in removing Trump from office so that indictment could be done - and he has enough enemies among the Republicans that removing him from office would have been a shoo in.
                        What Mueller did was to gather the evidence, suggested indictment,
                        Mueller in fact declared there were no grounds for indictment.
                        "no man is above the law" and left it to congress to decide whether to impeach or not.
                        and they haven't, so that would indicate that they don't have a case to pursue.
                        It's not his call, and neither is it the Presidents unelected shills call, it's the responsibility of congress.
                        So - you're saying that Congress is derelict in its duty? When they clearly are seeking any and every excuse to get rid of Trump? It's more likely that they can't find anything that will stick
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So, you're finally backing away from your initial idiot proclamation
                          No, I'm not.

JimL is so entertaining. Thanks for sticking around Tweb, Jim.

Comment

No, I'm not. Employee's can not willy nilly ignore department policy.
                            Did anybody make that claim, Willy?

Mueller was following policy just as he was required to do.
                            He was following policy because he chose to. He is not bound to do so. There are always exceptions.

Had he not, you'd be arguing just the opposite.
                            You can't even keep your OWN arguments straight, Willy!

What Mueller did was to gather the evidence, suggested indictment, "no man is above the law" and left it to congress to decide whether to impeach or not. It's not his call, and neither is it the Presidents unelected shills call, it's the responsibility of congress.
                            Policy and law are not the same thing. Law is binding, policy is not.

Comment

The policy is the law of the Justice dept. Why do you think they have that policy, just for the fun of it! Mueller was following Justice Dept. policy.
                              Jim, for your own sake, why don't you just abandon this idiotic claim that policy and law are the same? EVERYBODY seems to get that but you. You're only making yourself look stupidererererer.

Even Reverend Tassman gets it....

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              The DOJ has a decades-old policy that a sitting president cannot be indicted. Mueller indicated that he’s not prepared to put this policy to the test and that he was erring on the side of caution. In fact the Constitution is silent on whether a president can face criminal prosecution in court, the SCOTUS has not directly ruled on the question.
                              Policy is NOT "the law of the Justice dept."

REVEREND TASSMAN --- help your boy out here!!!!

Comment

Did anybody make that claim, Willy?

He was following policy because he chose to. He is not bound to do so. There are always exceptions.

You can't even keep your OWN arguments straight, Willy!

Policy and law are not the same thing. Law is binding, policy is not.
                                What Mueller actually chose to do is pass the buck to Barr to handle. Which is not a bad thing to do. Barr is the boss and can make the actual decision and can easily go against policy if he wishes.

Comment