Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can a Sitting President be Indicted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    What Mueller actually chose to do is pass the buck to Barr to handle. Which is not a bad thing to do. Barr is the boss and can make the actual decision and can easily go against policy if he wishes.
    And they hate Barr because he's going back with a team of lawyers and investigators to the poison tree from which this whole mess grew.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      "Willy-nilly" no - it has to be done with extreme care, and every step double and triple checked. One misstep and the person who does it is toast.
      "The person" himself, can not violate DOJ policy.

If grounds had been found to indict, there would have been no time wasted in removing Trump from office so that indictment could be done - and he has enough enemies among the Republicans that removing him from office would have been a shoo in.
      Wrong. A sitting president can't be indicted for anything. DOJ policy! He can be investigated, special council, and he can be impeached, congress. Only after ousted from office can he actually be indicted.
      Mueller in fact declared there were no grounds for indictment.
      That's idiotic.

and they haven't, so that would indicate that they don't have a case to pursue.

So - you're saying that Congress is derelict in its duty? When they clearly are seeking any and every excuse to get rid of Trump? It's more likely that they can't find anything that will stick
      Wrong, they are doing exactly what they should do in such a case. Inform the public concerning all the facts, "public hearings and witness testimony" and then impeachment. Only then, once out of office, can the president be indicted.

Comment

What Mueller actually chose to do is pass the buck to Barr to handle.
        I know that's what you'd all like to think, but it isn't up to Barr to rule on, it's up to congress which is exactly what Mueller intended.

Which is not a bad thing to do. Barr is the boss and can make the actual decision and can easily go against policy if he wishes.
        So, you admit that Mueller can't buck policy. Good boy. Barr can say whatever he want's, but he has no power to stop congress from carrying out their oversight responsibilities regardless of his cover-up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Absolutely false. Policy is not law. "The person" can make exceptions with good reason, as policy is not binding.

Here, lemme help you with this....

The Difference Between a “Policy” and a “Law”

No matter what anybody tells you, including JimL on Tweb, there are no laws proscribing what an employer can say about a former employee. The distinction that confuses people is between a policy adopted by the employer and a law passed by a legislative body.

Policies are the rules a company adopts that outline things such as how many vacation days employees may take or how many paid sick days employees may take. When a legislative body meets and decides to control how fast you can drive your car, and attaches a fine or other penalty for driving in excess of that speed, that’s a law.

(I may have added the bolded part )

And, our buddies at Wiki...

A policy is a deliberate system of principles to guide decisions and achieve rational outcomes. A policy is a statement of intent, and is implemented as a procedure or protocol. Policies are generally adopted by a governance body within an organization. Policies can assist in both subjective and objective decision making. Policies to assist in subjective decision making usually assist senior management with decisions that must be based on the relative merits of a number of factors, and as a result are often hard to test objectively, e.g. work-life balance policy. In contrast policies to assist in objective decision making are usually operational in nature and can be objectively tested, e.g. password policy.

The term may apply to government, private sector organizations and groups, as well as individuals. Presidential executive orders, corporate privacy policies, and parliamentary rules of order are all examples of policy. Policy differs from rules or law. While law can compel or prohibit behaviors (e.g. a law requiring the payment of taxes on income), policy merely guides actions toward those that are most likely to achieve a desired outcome.

I suspect, however, you'll simply continue to ignore fact and spew forth more ignorance.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wrong. A sitting president can't be indicted for anything. DOJ policy! He can be investigated, special council, and he can be impeached, congress. Only after ousted from office can he actually be indicted.

That's idiotic.

Wrong, they are doing exactly what they should do in such a case. Inform the public concerning all the facts, "public hearings and witness testimony" and then impeachment. Only then, once out of office, can the president be indicted.
            So you are saying that the whole investigation was a waste of time and never should have been done in the first place and congress should just get on with business as usual and drop this whole mess? right?

Comment

So you are saying that the whole investigation was a waste of time and never should have been done in the first place and congress should just get on with business as usual and drop this whole mess? right?
              But ONLY because the investigation didn't yield the results they wanted! Otherwise, they'd be calling for the rope!

Comment

I know that's what you'd all like to think, but it isn't up to Barr to rule on, it's up to congress which is exactly what Mueller intended.
                Uh no. Barr could indict if he wanted to. Policy doesn't apply to the head of the department. That is what the Justice dept does.

Congress can't even impeach unless the president is guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors" and how can he be found guilty of them if he hasn't been indicted and tried?

Comment

Uh no. Barr could indict if he wanted to. Policy doesn't apply to the head of the department. That is what the Justice dept does.

Congress can't even impeach unless the president is guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors" and how can he be found guilty of them if he hasn't been indicted and tried?
                  Or if a sitting president can't be indicted for Constitutional reasons but there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed a crime then it is the duty of the Attorney General to inform Congress, and it is Congress' duty to impeach the president and remove him from office so that he can be indicted and held accountable in a court of law. The problem for Democrats is that Barr did his duty, but Mueller's report is conspicuously deficient in the "evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" department, which is why Democrats haven't already filed articles of impeachment citing Mueller's report as evidence.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Or if a sitting president can't be indicted for Constitutional reasons but there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed a crime then it is the duty of the Attorney General to inform Congress, and it is Congress' duty to impeach the president and remove him from office so that he can be indicted and held accountable in a court of law. The problem for Democrats is that Barr did his duty, but Mueller's report is conspicuously deficient in the "evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" department, which is why Democrats haven't already filed articles of impeachment citing Mueller's report as evidence.
                    The congress has the report, they don't need the unelected atty gen to inform them with his spin. The reason dems haven't filed articles of impeachment as of yet is because they want all the evidence out there, and they want the american people, for the good of the country, to be fully informed before actually impeaching. They don't need the atty gen's approval, oversight is their responsibility, and it is their decision as to how best to go about it. The Atty Gen was just doing the Presidents bidding, he's a shill and a liar which will soon be born out so that even you'll have difficulty spinning your denials.

Comment

The congress has the report, they don't need the unelected atty gen to inform them with his spin.
                      Perhaps you are unaware that the Attorney General is always an unelected positon? Including Eric 'I'm still the president's wingman' Holder?

Comment

People with courage can, do, and will. I don't see Mueller as a person lacking in courage.

I said "found grounds for indictment"

That's idiotic.
                        I don't see any reason to assume that Mueller is an idiot.

Except none of them is talking about initiating impeachment proceedings.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Perhaps you are unaware that the Attorney General is always an unelected positon? Including Eric 'I'm still the president's wingman' Holder?
                          I would hasten to add that I'm referring to "the" Attorney General - as in the Attorney General of the United States. Some states actually elect their AG.

Comment

The congress has the report, they don't need the unelected atty gen to inform them with his spin. The reason dems haven't filed articles of impeachment as of yet is because they want all the evidence out there, and they want the american people, for the good of the country, to be fully informed before actually impeaching. They don't need the atty gen's approval, oversight is their responsibility, and it is their decision as to how best to go about it. The Atty Gen was just doing the Presidents bidding, he's a shill and a liar which will soon be born out so that even you'll have difficulty spinning your denials.
                            Ah - so sometime after the next election, they might institute impeachment proceedings.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Ah - so sometime after the next election, they might institute impeachment proceedings.
                              Actually.... This just in....

Executive Privilege Fight Inches Democrats Closer To Impeachment

If House Democrats ultimately begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump, last week will be remembered as one of the pivotal turning points.

Trump's decision to invoke executive privilege over the full report by special counsel Robert Mueller is prompting impeachment skeptics like Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., to reconsider.

"I have to be honest with you, I once said I would be the last person standing against impeachment, and now, I'm squatting," Cleaver told NPR.

While some Democrats hope the Judiciary Committee's decision to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt will force the administration back to the negotiation table, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders made clear the president will not budge on his executive privilege claim over the Mueller report. "This is fully consistent with that precedent and it is fully consistent with the president actually upholding the law," Sanders told reporters last week.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., does not share that hesitation. "I understand the big picture is winning in 2020, and I don't really understand totally the calculus about not proceeding with impeachment," he said. "I think there's merit to putting the scarlet letter 'I' on his breast, because he deserves it."

Comment

I doubt it will take that long, although the president will do everything in his power, as you could see, if you were looking, he is doing now, to continue to obstruct in the hopes that it does carry through to the next election. There is a statute of limitations for indictment so the president is desperate to be re-elected in the hopes of running out the clock on possible prosecution.

Comment