Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats' Far-Left Lean Risks More Than the Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

Demi probably not back back too. We'll see!
    What are you, Darth Executor's puppy dog?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Obviously they want make money, so sometimes regulations help them, sometimes hurt. Not simple naive situation of 'all regulations hurt them or else not'.
      I agree. But if you look at the actual record of big oil, big coal, the big auto makers and tobacco, etc, the big combines have acted pretty much in concert (read "collusion") to lobby against regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
        I agree. But if you look at the actual record of big oil, big coal, the big auto makers and tobacco, etc, the big combines have acted pretty much in concert (read "collusion") to lobby against regulation.
        Collusion? Definition: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
          Even the New York Times admit that the Democrats are the ones moving left while the Republicans and not moving a lot. They just say that it is closer to the median in Europe. However the following graphic from the article shows them being beside the British Labour Party. I don't think that is a good place to be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38474[/ATTACH]

It's from this article. Obviously they paint it as a good thing but I'm just pointing out that the Democrats have moved a lot too the left in recent years.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...far-right.html
          Sanders is a standard New deal Democrat. Nixon could not even be a Republican now -- he initiated the EPA and other federal agencies(which most Republicans now want to abolish) and seriously considered a national minimum income. So in the long-term, the Rebublicans have moved far further to the right than the dems have moved to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Collusion? Definition: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.
            Ye, I would say that these were cases of collusion according to that definition. Note the word "or".

Comment

Sanders is a standard New deal Democrat. Nixon could not even be a Republican now -- he initiated the EPA and other federal agencies(which most Republicans now want to abolish) and seriously considered a national minimum income. So in the long-term, the Rebublicans have moved far further to the right than the dems have moved to the left.
              OR.... Nixon wasn't a typical Republican. I really don't think you can make the case for the Republicans moving further to the right than the Democrats have moved to the left simply by picking two atypical examples for comparison.

The Democrats used to be the "God and Country" party when I was a kid --- they are abandoning both.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ye, I would say that these were cases of collusion according to that definition. Note the word "or".
                There's nothing secret or illegal or conspiratorial about lobbying. I think it stinks, and should be more transparent, but using "collusion", particular in this political environment, I think is a far stretch.

Unless, of course, you want to sound like s conspiracy theory nut.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Rethinking your position I see, demi. Too late!
                  Good to see you are still same idiot

Banks and Corporations love Trump and the main stream media simply calls it as they see it, That is why the conservatives decided to build a propaganda machine to demean the media as fake news. Trump is certainly jumping on that bandwagon. "Just remember, what you see isn't really what's happening." Listen to me, don't listen to what the lying media says. Republicans have fallen for it too, hook, line, and sinker.
                  You swallow, also revomit hundreds of fake nonsense like 'Trump stings bees', you have no shame!
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    What are you, Darth Executor's puppy dog?
                    Talking to Darth always interesting. Smacking down libs so much so easy made Demi bored, is still same ol'.
                    Last edited by demi-conservative; 07-21-2019, 03:42 PM.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

OR.... Nixon wasn't a typical Republican. I really don't think you can make the case for the Republicans moving further to the right than the Democrats have moved to the left simply by picking two atypical examples for comparison.

The Democrats used to be the "God and Country" party when I was a kid --- they are abandoning both.
                      How about Eisenhower, then, Javits, Lindsay, Percy, Kassebaum, Ford, Bush Sr.,etc.... Look at all the retired Republicans who are aghast at Trump and at the compliance of the spineless Republican Congress who put their own re-election ahead of the good of the country. You're right that there were Dems who talked a lot about God and country, but you have to remember that that was the Cold War and somewhat of an anomaly. Also the culture has become more secular generally. Do you really think Trump is genunely, deeply religious? And the vast majority of Dems are deeply patriotic, such as the ones who've served. They may not wear it on their sleeves as flagrantly or wrap themselves in the flag as garishly as repubs but they are as patriotic if not more so, including immigrants such as Omar. It just doesn't fit the narrative of the far right.

Comment

How about Eisenhower, then, Javits, Lindsay, Percy, Kassebaum, Ford, Bush Sr.,etc.... Look at all the retired Republicans who are aghast at Trump and at the compliance of the spineless Republican Congress who put their own re-election ahead of the good of the country. You're right that there were Dems who talked a lot about God and country, but you have to remember that that was the Cold War and somewhat of an anomaly. Also the culture has become more secular generally.
                        Are you older than dirt?

It wasn't just about the cold war - there was a sense that our nation was blessed by God in a special sense, hence the adding of "In God We Trust" to our currency and the addition of "under God" to our pledge of allegiance. There was a general sense of patriotism - of being proud to be Americans. Now, the Democrats appear to want all that gone - open borders, remove God from the public venue, etc... Much of that gained footing in the mid 60's and has progressed at an accelerated pace.

Do you really think Trump is genunely, deeply religious?
                        Not sure where you got that notion, but a clear answer --- no, I don't think so at all.

And the vast majority of Dems are deeply patriotic, such as the ones who've served.
                        And that's a great distinction -- but the leadership of the party is now in the hands of the extreme leftists who --- sheeesh, do you remember the Democratic convention of 2012, where they couldn't even agree on wording about God in the party platform?

They may not wear it on their sleeves as flagrantly or wrap themselves in the flag as garishly as repubs but they are as patriotic if not more so, including immigrants such as Omar. It just doesn't fit the narrative of the far right.
                        OK, you're kinda sounding like a parody of an extreme leftist there. By the way, I'm not a Republican - I'm an Independent.

Comment

Are you older than dirt?

It wasn't just about the cold war - there was a sense that our nation was blessed by God in a special sense, hence the adding of "In God We Trust" to our currency and the addition of "under God" to our pledge of allegiance. There was a general sense of patriotism - of being proud to be Americans. Now, the Democrats appear to want all that gone - open borders, remove God from the public venue, etc... Much of that gained footing in the mid 60's and has progressed at an accelerated pace.

Not sure where you got that notion, but a clear answer --- no, I don't think so at all.

And that's a great distinction -- but the leadership of the party is now in the hands of the extreme leftists who --- sheeesh, do you remember the Democratic convention of 2012, where they couldn't even agree on wording about God in the party platform?

OK, you're kinda sounding like a parody of an extreme leftist there. By the way, I'm not a Republican - I'm an Independent.
                          I feel like in some ways the extreme left is a reaction to the extreme movement of the right. IMO it won't get any better unless ACTUAL adults are in charge and there aren't any adults in charge.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            I feel like in some ways the extreme left is a reaction to the extreme movement of the right. IMO it won't get any better unless ACTUAL adults are in charge and there aren't any adults in charge.
                            Sounds like you're missing President Obama.

Comment

Sounds like you're missing President Obama.
                              I just want an adult. Neither Trump nor AOC is an adult..... IMO
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                                I could be wrong on this, seeing as I don't live in the US and have no personal knowledge of the issue, but from most of what I've read on the internet it seems to be the other way around. The extreme right is a reaction to to the extreme movement of the left, and not the other way around.

Comment