Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    And yet Christians managed to justify slavery with scriptural texts for centuries. Scripture can be made to say whatever the moral culture of the day wants it to say.
    So? You are not making sense, many cultures and peoples accepted slavery. It was pretty much universal. Why are you singling out Christians? And many Christians did not justify or accept slavery.

We have moved beyond the primitive “eye for and eye” morality of the OT…well most of us have.
    Why is that primitive or better than what we have today, especially in your morally relative world? Again: If I steal kill and eat a man's sheep, it would be just to be required to give him one of my sheep. Is that JUST or not? Yes or no?

Compared to many other Western nations the social safety net in the US is woefully inadequate.
    Americans tend to favor people keeping their own hard earned money rather than giving it to the government. This goes back to the Revolution.

Delusional people are often happier than reality-based individuals. But the stats show that the 'Happiness' and 'Human Development' Indices are highest in the more secular countries.
    Yes and in those countries the religious would be happier than the non-religious. But it seems that narcissists are very happy, and narcissism is on the rise! Perhaps your "happy" countries are filled with narcissists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-50184281

Moral according to whom. You?
    Not the point Tass, which is - should personal happiness be the goal in life? Is it your goal? Perhaps we should all give into our narcissistic tendencies?

When it is necessary, according to appropriate medical judgement, to preserve the life or health of the woman.
    What do you mean by health? Give me an example.
    Last edited by seer; 10-30-2019, 07:00 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• (I do want to make sure Teal saw the above post. I'm still not sure why she's upset with me.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        And there is a clear deterrent - that person will NEVER murder or rape again. Whether in society or in the prison population.
        There is no credible evidence that the death penalty deters crime. Quite the reverse. Since abolishing the death penalty in 1976, Canada's murder rate has steadily declined and as of 2016 was at its lowest since 1966. This in marked contrast to the US which retains the death penalty.
        This is a lie, like I said the death penalty prevents that individual from ever raping or murdering again, that works 100% of the time.
        It may be irrelevant, but that doesn't make it a lie.

So I've reported your post.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          It may be irrelevant, but that doesn't make it a lie.

So I've reported your post.
          Please do idiot, because the death penalty is a deterrent.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Actually, we have a Judeo-Christian heritage from which came English Common Law.
            Your source is misleading. English common law mostly originated in pre-Christian common laws such as the Anglo-Saxon Dooms (e.g.), which were later augmented with the ten commandments.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

There is no credible evidence that the death penalty deters crime. Quite the reverse. Since abolishing the death penalty in 1976, Canada's murder rate has steadily declined and as of 2016 was at its lowest since 1966. This in marked contrast to the US which retains the death penalty.

https://www.amnesty.ca/news/canada-m...-death-penalty
              Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you among those who handwaved away the fact that gun violence in the U.S. began to drop dramatically at the same time firearm purchases started to skyrocket?

Just looking for consistency here

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Your source is misleading. English common law mostly originated in pre-Christian common laws such as the Anglo-Saxon Dooms (e.g.), which were later augmented with the ten commandments.
                Not just the Ten Commandments:

However, Alfred’s most important work was certainly his Law Code. It is preceded by a long introduction. (12) This contains translations not only of the Ten Commandments, but also of many other passages from the book af Exodus.(13) It is followed by an excerpt from Christ’s Sermon an the Mount (14) and by a brief account of apostolic history (with quotations from the apostolic book of Acts). (15) There, Alfred stresses the jots and tittles alias the minutiae of God’s Law and His Prophets (Matthew 5:17); the Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12); and the God-inspired decision af the First General Assembly of the Christian Church – in order to teach God’s Law and His Prophets (Amos 9:11) as well as His Gospel also in the congregations of Christ (Acts 15:15-29 & 16:4f).

Then, King Alfred goes an to trace the growth of Church Law – as laid dawn by various Ecclesiastical Councils, both Ecumenical and English.(16) The concluding words (17) of his introduction then state that compensations for misdeeds an the part of men were ordained at many such Councils – and written in their records, with varying provisions.

Thus Alfred first sets out the Ten Commandments – verbatim. Exodus 20:1-17.Next, from the passage Exodus 21:2 to 23:9, he recites many of the Old Testament case laws. Then, he moves on to the New Testament – citing from Christ’s Sermon on the Mount and also from the Acts of His Apostles. Finally, Alfred records his own case laws for medieval England....

....To prove this – just compare the statements of Mosaic Law with Alfred’s Anglo-British Common Law and also with the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Larger Catechism. For the New Testament itself – at Matthew 5:5-21f & I Timothy 5:17-21 etc., presupposes inter alia Exodus 20:1 to 23:9f in the Old Testament. Alfred cites Exodus 20:1 to 23:9 – as well as Matthew 5:17-19 & 7:1-12 and Acts 11:19-26f & 15:20-29 & 16:4-5. The Westminster Confession cites Exodus 21:1 to 22:29, as well as Matthew 5:17f and I Corinthians 9:8-10 etc.

After recording Exodus 20:1 to 23:9, King Alfred declares: “These are judgments which Almighty God Himself spoke to Moses and commanded him to keep. Now, since the Lord’s only begotten Son our God and healing [Saviour) Christ has come to Middle Earth [alias the ‘Mediterranean World’) – He said that He did not come to break nor to forbid these commandments but to approve them well, and to teach them with all mildheartedness and lowly mindedness.” Matthew 5:5-19 cf. the Westminster Confession of Faith 19:5.

“Then, after His throes [or ‘sufferings’), before His Apostles had gone throughout the Earth to teach, and while they were yet together – they turned many heathen nations to God”. While they were all together, they sent errand-writing to Antioch and to Syria- there to teach Christ’s Law [cf. Acts 11: 19-26]…. This is then that errand-writing which the Apostles sent to Antioch and to Syria and to Cilicia, which is meet for the heathen nations turned to Christ (cf Acts 15:20 & 16:4-5).

https://ensignmessage.com/articles/k...ur-common-law/

Comment

So? You are not making sense, many cultures and peoples accepted slavery. It was pretty much universal. Why are you singling out Christians?
                  Because he's not a universalist bigot - he's an anti-Christian bigot.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because he's not a universalist bigot - he's an anti-Christian bigot.
                    Oh, I forgot...

Comment

Oh, I forgot...
                      Have you ever once seen him go on a rant to criticize Islam, for example, for their treatment of women? Or homosexuals?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Have you ever once seen him go on a rant to criticize Islam, for example, for their treatment of women? Or homosexuals?
                        And slavery is still accepted in large parts of Islam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...ntury_Islamism

Comment

The one thing I respect about Penn (Penn and Teller), despite his intense criticism of Christianity, is his honesty on that matter and others. He acknowledges that Christians who try to evangelize him are simply doing the loving thing, and he admits that he refrains from criticizing Islam because he has a family.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            Back to denial, eh?

What about God asking the Israelites to oversee executions? What about Romans 13?
                            What about context and reading comprehension?

Welcome back to ignore, troll boy.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              What about context and reading comprehension?
                              Not sure what your point is, Romans 13 is pretty clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Except for when he drown everyone in a flood and then repented for it saying "never again will I do that."
                                Regreting something doesn't mean it was wrong.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about that. I just responded to your assertion that killing people to solve a problem is always stupid. Apparently yahwah disagreed with you.
                                I wasn't commenting on God's laws but man's. I'd think the 'due process' comment one post previous would make that plain enough.

There is no rational moral case against capital punishment - nor does Scripture provide an absolute proscription of it. Without God's clear intervention (which we no longer have - the urim and thummim) there can be no guarantee of a just outcome. God is perfect, we aren't.

Therefore, it is stupid to play with fire and risk an irreversible, unjust outcome that God WILL expect us to account for.

Nothing in that disagrees with God, just troll boy and morons who can't read straight.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment