Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a wi-fi 7 day programmable thermostat, and set it up on a schedule, including little to no air or heat when we're not home. If I decided to come home early, I can just use the app on my phone to make that adjustment before I head home. Otherwise, we like sleeping cool at night, but waking up to "just right" temperature for showers and stuff.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I used to keep it on 76 summer or winter - now, I can't take getting too hot.

And really can't take getting too cold!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I bought a wi-fi 7 day programmable thermostat, and set it up on a schedule, including little to no air or heat when we're not home. If I decided to come home early, I can just use the app on my phone to make that adjustment before I head home. Otherwise, we like sleeping cool at night, but waking up to "just right" temperature for showers and stuff.
        We use a programmable thermostat as well. But I don't have a smart phone to play with it. It has different times on so we can lower the temp as night comes on and raise it in the early morning before we start the day.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          We use a programmable thermostat as well. But I don't have a smart phone to play with it. It has different times on so we can lower the temp as night comes on and raise it in the early morning before we start the day.
          I replaced all EIGHT thermostats at the Church with wi-fi thermostats, and we saved YUGE money. People would have a one hour meeting, and turn the thermostat down to like 60 because they are deluded into thinking that will cool faster, then forget to turn it back up when the meeting is over.

We would literally come into the office to find it had run at 60 all night, or all weekend. Plus, the 4 thermostats for the sanctuary used to be turned on at end of business on Thursday (closed Friday) and have to run all weekend to be cool for Sunday morning. Now they're programmed to be at a certain temperature at 10 AM, and the thermostats automatically check the outside temperature and calculate what time they need to turn on during the night to reach that temperature.

YUGE savings!!!! YUGE!!!!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I replaced all EIGHT thermostats at the Church with wi-fi thermostats, and we saved YUGE money. People would have a one hour meeting, and turn the thermostat down to like 60 because they are deluded into thinking that will cool faster, then forget to turn it back up when the meeting is over.

We would literally come into the office to find it had run at 60 all night, or all weekend. Plus, the 4 thermostats for the sanctuary used to be turned on at end of business on Thursday (closed Friday) and have to run all weekend to be cool for Sunday morning. Now they're programmed to be at a certain temperature at 10 AM, and the thermostats automatically check the outside temperature and calculate what time they need to turn on during the night to reach that temperature.

YUGE savings!!!! YUGE!!!!
            If - hopefully when - I buy the house I'm in now, I want this kind of set up on the minisplits I plan to have installed.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              If - hopefully when - I buy the house I'm in now, I want this kind of set up on the minisplits I plan to have installed.
              Yeah, and the really good 7 day programmable ones are only like $99. (Many have a 5 day / weekend setup that pretty much allows for a "same setting all week" and different on weekends. The 7 day allows you to have different weekdays, different Saturday, different Sunday... important for us Sunday-go-to-meetin folks)

Comment

Yeah, and the really good 7 day programmable ones are only like $99. (Many have a 5 day / weekend setup that pretty much allows for a "same setting all week" and different on weekends. The 7 day allows you to have different weekdays, different Saturday, different Sunday... important for us Sunday-go-to-meetin folks)
                which one do you have CP?

I have been looking at getting one, but I want it to not only work through an app, but standalone. If I ever sell the house I also want the new owner to be able to access it and lock me out. So it would need a way to reset the link to the app from the device.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  which one do you have CP?

I have been looking at getting one, but I want it to not only work through an app, but standalone. If I ever sell the house I also want the new owner to be able to access it and lock me out. So it would need a way to reset the link to the app from the device.
                  EGGzackly... Wow, it's come down TWENTY BUCKS!!!! It has its own FREE web interface, as well as phone apps... Plus, it integrates easily with Alexa.

tstat.jpg

Honeywell Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat with Wi-Fi Compatibility

Comment

EGGzackly... Wow, it's come down TWENTY BUCKS!!!! It has its own FREE web interface, as well as phone apps... Plus, it integrates easily with Alexa.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39220[/ATTACH]

Honeywell Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat with Wi-Fi Compatibility

I'd get it - if I had something to hook it up to!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'd get it - if I had something to hook it up to!
                      That'll come.

Comment

• While we're (sorta) on it - and we've derailed the thread again - how hard is it to set up lights (not lamps) to be run via wifi?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

While we're (sorta) on it - and we've derailed the thread again - how hard is it to set up lights (not lamps) to be run via wifi?
                          Actually pretty easy - lemme find the wall switches I bought.... I haven't messed with the 3-way ones, but for a simple on/off switch, easy peasy. You can even put them in groups, like in the morning I walk into the living room and say "Alexa, turn on morning", and the Living room, kitchen and piano lights all come on.

smart switch.jpg

Comment

• Thanks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks!
                              I like to buy the ones that have at least a thousand reviews, and a high percentage of them positive. Some of these are not so easy to set up, but you'll find that in the comments and evaluations.

I've had no problem with the ones I've bought, and most of the switches in my house are smart switches, along with a number of smart plugs. I can even tell Alexa "set home thermostat to 74", and in a few seconds, it's set.

All of my exterior lights are on smart switches, and grouped as "outside", so Mrs CP can just say "Alexa, turn on outside" - and all of the security lights, back yard lights, shop lights.... they all come on at once.

Comment

I like to buy the ones that have at least a thousand reviews, and a high percentage of them positive. Some of these are not so easy to set up, but you'll find that in the comments and evaluations.

I've had no problem with the ones I've bought, and most of the switches in my house are smart switches, along with a number of smart plugs. I can even tell Alexa "set home thermostat to 74", and in a few seconds, it's set.

All of my exterior lights are on smart switches, and grouped as "outside", so Mrs CP can just say "Alexa, turn on outside" - and all of the security lights, back yard lights, shop lights.... they all come on at once.
                                Cool! When the time comes, it'll be an electrician installing the thing - but I'll be sure and check it out thoroughly first!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment