Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do babies have thoughts in the womb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    If babies can think and feel that proves that they are not only alive but cognizant.
    So is there any evidence that babies can do these things?
    Depends on how you are defining 'thought'. Complex ideas and problem solving, most likely not. Basic reactions to the world around them, most likely yes.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Depends on how you are defining 'thought'. Complex ideas and problem solving, most likely not. Basic reactions to the world around them, most likely yes.
      Because it's a learning / growing process.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Because it's a learning / growing process.
        Pretty much. I've had the pleasure of holding/taking care of quite a few newborns and I can say that even at that young age, there's differences in how they act and react to things around them. I doubt they are having complex ideas about the world around them, but it is pretty obvious that at least some wheels are turning in their head.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Babies do seem to have an innate understanding of how some physics things work. If you make it look like something impossible has occurred(say, a block on the very edge of a table that should be falling to the ground), babies will look longer than of the block is balanced on the edge of the table.

But they couldn't understand the math behind the physics. And little kids can still be confused.

Although, these kids are big kids, not itty bitty babies. Since unborn babies are asleep 95%-100% of the time, it would be a very bad idea to try to wake them up to preform psychology experiments on them. Newborns do recognize stories that have been read to them in utero, though.
          Last edited by Christianbookworm; 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Babies do seem to have an innate understanding of how some physics things work. If you make it look like something impossible has occurred(say, a block on the very edge of a table that should be falling to the ground), babies will look longer than of the block is balanced on the edge of the table.

But they couldn't understand the math behind the physics. And little kids can still be confused.

Although, these kids are big kids, not itty bitty babies. Since unborn babies are asleep 95%-100% of the time, it would be a very bad idea to try to wake them up to preform psychology experiments on them. Newborns do recognize stories that have been read to them in utero, though.
            That's mainly because not all science nor math is intuitive and sometimes can be counter-intuitive.
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If newborns prefer books that have been read during pregnancy, would they likely enjoy their older sibling's favorite book that they had mom read every night? What's funny is that two of my nieces(about to be three in that family) both like to sing twinkle twinkle little star. I think the one year old got that song from her three year old big sister. And the three year old is excited to have a new baby sister. I don't know what here definition of baby is though, since she doesn't think the middle sister is a baby anymore. Well, she told me she was getting a baby sister when the other sister was 12 months old, so I had some confusion to as what she meant by having a baby sister.

Comment

I remember something about playing classical music for your baby while in the womb, and somehow that helps 'map' the baby's brain for math, since music and math are so intricately entwined.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I remember something about playing classical music for your baby while in the womb, and somehow that helps 'map' the baby's brain for math, since music and math are so intricately entwined.
                  That might not be the best idea. Would you play classical music in a newborn's bassinet? Don't wake the baby!

Comment

That might not be the best idea. Would you play classical music in a newborn's bassinet? Don't wake the baby!
                    Ya don't have to BLAST it.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_music-an...-child_6547.bc

Comment

Yep.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As long as it's not too loud...

Oh, if anyone was wondering, I also have another three year old niece who has a baby sister that's almost 6 months. I'm pretty offended that Starlight thinks three of my nieces would be okay to put down like a dog! Grrr...

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          If babies can think and feel that proves that they are not only alive but cognizant.
                          So is there any evidence that babies can do these things?
                          Apparently, yes. Researchers from the Cognitive Brain Research Unit, Cognitive Science, Institute of Behavioral Sciences, University of Helsinki, published a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, which is the official scientific journal of the National Academy of Sciences, back in 2013 that indicates babies actually learn to recognize words while still in the womb:

Source: Learning-induced neural plasticity of speech processing before birth

Significance

Learning, the foundation of adaptive and intelligent behavior, is based on changes in neural assemblies and reflected by the modulation of electric brain responses. In infancy, long-term memory traces are formed by auditory learning, improving discrimination skills, in particular those relevant for speech perception and understanding. Here we show direct neural evidence that neural memory traces are formed by auditory learning prior to birth. Our findings indicate that prenatal experiences have a remarkable influence on the brain’s auditory discrimination accuracy, which may support, for example, language acquisition during infancy. Consequently, our results also imply that it might be possible to support early auditory development and potentially compensate for difficulties of genetic nature, such as language impairment or dyslexia.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Full paper available at link above*]

This goes along with an earlier study conducted by a team of American, Canadian and Chinese researchers from about a decade earlier that babies learn to recognize the voice of their mother while still in the womb

Source: Effects of Experience on Fetal Voice Recognition

Abstract

The ability of human fetuses to recognize their own mother's voice was examined. Sixty term fetuses were assigned to one of two conditions during which they were exposed to a tape recording of their mother or a female stranger reading a passage. Voice stimuli were delivered through a loudspeaker held approximately 10 cm above the maternal abdomen and played at an average of 95 dB SPL. Each condition consisted of three 2-min periods: no stimulus, voice (mother or stranger), and no stimulus. Fetal heart rate increased in response to the mother's voice and decreased in response to the stranger's; both responses were sustained for 4 min. The finding of differential behavior in response to a familiar versus a novel voice provides evidence that experience influences fetal voice processing. It supports an epigenetic model of speech perception, presuming an interaction between genetic expression of neural development and species-specific experience.

Source

This latter research was verified in 2013 by a team from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland

Source: Near-term fetal response to maternal spoken voice

Abstract

Knowledge about prenatal learning has been largely predicated on the observation that newborns appear to recognize the maternal voice. Few studies have examined the process underlying this phenomenon;thatis, whether and how the fetus responds tomaternal voice in situ. Fetal heart rate and motor activity were recorded at 36 weeks gestation (n = 69) while pregnant women read aloud from a neutral passage. Compared to a baseline period, fetuses responded with a decrease in motor activity in the 10 s following onset of maternal speech and a trend level decelerative heart rate response, consistent with an orienting response. Subsequent analyses revealed that the fetal response was modified by both maternal and fetal factors. Fetuses of women who were previously awake and talking (n = 40) showed an orienting response to onset of maternal reading aloud, while fetuses of mothers who had previously been resting and silent (n = 29) responded with elevated heart rate and increased movement. The magnitude of the fetal response was further dependent on baseline fetal heart rate variability such that largest response was demonstrated by fetuses with low variability of mothers who were previously resting and silent. Results indicate that fetal responsivity is affected by both maternal and fetal state and have implications for understanding fetal learning of the maternal voice under naturalistic conditions

Source

[*Full paper available at link above*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Debatable or maybe just over-hyped

Fact or Fiction?: Babies Exposed to Classical Music End Up Smarter

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Can those who purposefully and with full knowledge of what they are doing when they harm/kill fetuses/babies/toddlers and don't repent be sentenced to an eternity of hearing the recording of a screaming infant. The type of scream that a baby in extreme pain makes. Oh, and have the victims tell their murderer that they are a mean person for hurting them.
                              Last edited by Christianbookworm; 10-22-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

They don't know any different. Little babies actually like being swaddled/held snugly. It reminds them of the womb where they were never hungry, cold, or thirsty. that doesn't mean there's no stress though. If Mom is stressed, junior will be stressed also due to stress hormones crossing over to him/her.
                                They certainly have basic reactions even in the womb, but there's not much reason to consider that anything like actual thought.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X