Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

There is a part of me that wants to drink, but I have health issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a part of me that wants to drink, but I have health issues.

I like to eat and play games. It is how i socialize but alcohol is something I dont really want to get involved with. Diabetes and prediabetic issues are a problem with my family. It's not always easy to get to know people. Even without the health issues though I wouldnt want to do anything stupid. I wonder do i need to go out more?
    sigpic

You can socialize without alcohol. I never drink it. Never.

Comment

yeah you can be their designated driver. my friends love me for that! They can get drunk and I will drive them home. Plus I get to laugh at how drunk they get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        I like to eat and play games. It is how i socialize but alcohol is something I dont really want to get involved with. Diabetes and prediabetic issues are a problem with my family. It's not always easy to get to know people. Even without the health issues though I wouldnt want to do anything stupid. I wonder do i need to go out more?
        If you don't want to, then don't. That said, I'm not sure what diabetes has to do with it. Getting drunk is pretty over-rated, though. Alcohol loosens inhibitions and enhances your mood, which is why it tends to be consumed in social settings and on joyous occasions. The key is not over-doing it.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm full on type 2 diabetic and I can drink in limited quantities should I ever want to. It's not a big deal, but neither is it interesting to me any more. I am also a recovered alcoholic that Jesus set free from that bondage, so I don't bother any more.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thank you.

Honestly I never got the appeal of clubs or parties or drinking. If your supposed to be socializing to me you shpuld be trying to understand other people.
            sigpic

Comment

I've lived my whole life without drinking. My brother took his own life due to his alcoholism and it has never been worth it. Don't like the taste or smell of alcohol. And even without it I've had plenty of fun and good experiences with friends.

If you like games, start a weekly game night with some people at church. Or arrange to meet for coffee once a week with them if you can afford it. Or start a weekly potluck dessert night with church folk, where everybody brings some cookies or some such to share. We used to meet at the church for evenings like this.

There might be some other folk in the church who are lonely and need an outing once in a while.

Maybe there is already something like this available at your church. Check into it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Woman in the frat!

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  You can socialize without alcohol.
                  You can, but it's not as fun.
                  I never drink it. Never.
                  As you've been raised in a culture which stigmatizes it, I'd expect that. As long as you feel that it is wrong to do so, I hope you continue to abstain; while I think your belief is in error, it would be even more wrong to force you to go against your conscience.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Woman in the frat!
                    Its mossy. Its fine. Shes like everyones cool grandma. Everyones cool canadian grandma.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

As you've been raised in a culture which stigmatizes it, I'd expect that. As long as you feel that it is wrong to do so, I hope you continue to abstain; while I think your belief is in error, it would be even more wrong to force you to go against your conscience.
                      Whoa. I never said it’s a sin to drink alcohol. If people can control it, I have no problem. I don’t drink because I am a small man and it would not take as much to get me drunk and I don’t want to risk doing something hurtful to the people I love, which especially includes my wife now.

If it was my culture, I would have never played Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.

Comment

Whoa. I never said it’s a sin to drink alcohol. If people can control it, I have no problem. I don’t drink because I am a small man and it would not take as much to get me drunk and I don’t want to risk doing something hurtful to the people I love, which especially includes my wife now.

If it was my culture, I would have never played Dungeons and Dragons or Magic: The Gathering.
                        Ok. I agree, you'd be a lightweight. I don't think, however, that you'd have to worry over-much about doing something hurtful. You're familiar with "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks"? Alcohol just makes it more likely that whatever's in the heart will come out. Alcohol doesn't cause people to abuse others; it removes the filter which would otherwise prevent abusive thoughts to turn into actions.

sigpic

Comment

Sure, but I just don’t want to take chances.

Comment

Sure, but I just don’t want to take chances.
                            Thats my logic. Besides the stuff is expensive and smells terrible.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                              Thats my logic. Besides the stuff is expensive and smells terrible.
                              Some of it, yes. Some of it smells really good.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X