Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Need advice from Christians well-versed in both philosophy and theology!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaney777 View Post
    My pastor told me about the movie (I think?), and he wanted me to watch it. I'll check out the book. Thanks!
    I would read the book. I find Christian movies to be pretty cheesy. The book is really good though, and is more about evidences than drama like the movie probably is.

Comment

I'm not sure if I "lust" when I look at cute girls. *shrugs*

And I suppose I had a tough time "growing" in Christ when I was younger. I still wanted to do things that I shouldn't. All I know is that it wasn't a true conversion.
      oh I am not saying you will magically be turned into a pure holy man who never lusts or wanting to do the wrong thing. I am saying you will more an more realize that you need to do the right thing. To choose the right thing. Everyone has a "good you" inside of them that knows what that right thing to do is. You know good from bad. Yet a lot of time we ignore that and do the bad anyway because of our desires. It's more fun, it gives us pleasure for a moment. But it is wrong and deep down we know it. Well when you make Christ your Lord, you will be more aware of this "good you" and you will want to please God and to do that you need to choose to do the right thing instead of the wrong thing. You let the "good you" win more often and find that it feels good to do the right thing. and that feeling lasts a lot longer than the temporary pleasure you might get by doing the wrong thing followed by guilt and regret later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I would read the book. I find Christian movies to be pretty cheesy. The book is really good though, and is more about evidences than drama like the movie probably is.
        Our Sunday School class had a presentation by Lee Strobel, six weeks each with a roughly 15-20 minute video with interviews. Might be simpler than the book.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          Matthew 7:13-14
          Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

He was saying that, at that point in time, people were very confused about religion. Even though today we have made some progress, there is a sense in which the narrowness is still true. But it won't always be true.

Revelation 21:10-26
          And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; and had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: on the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. . . . And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

The same metaphor is used, but without all the narrowness. I believe that these passages are referring to historical developments, where Christianity becomes more widely accepted.

Isaiah 35:7-8
          And the parched ground shall become a pool,
          and the thirsty land springs of water:
          in the habitation of dragons, where each lay,
          shall be grass with reeds and rushes.
          And an highway shall be there, and a way,
          and it shall be called The way of holiness;
          the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those:
          the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
          Thank you for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I know you were asking Obsidian, but I see them as saying that you have to follow Jesus Christ, and not one of the many other religions out there. Jesus compared Himself to a gate, and a way(path). He also said He was the only way to the Father. This is basically a refutation of views like "all paths lead to God".
            That makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
              It is good that you understand the inadequacy of ‘easy believism’. Intellectual assent to basic theological propositions concerning the person and work of Jesus Christ does not constitute saving faith. That said, whilst following Christ does indeed entail repentance (or turning) from sin, you must understand that the very things you desire to do that you know are forbidden by the law of God will inevitably lead to your permanent destruction. Your very desires are corrupt and need to be changed.

The good news is that salvation entails not only the forgiveness of one’s sins (justification), but the impartation of a new nature as well (regeneration). The natural state of all who have sinned is to do their own will; there is no genuine desire to serve God. It is only the one who is united to Christ by faith that is no longer under the penalty or power of sin.

I highly encourage you to attentively read through Paul’s epistle to the Romans – especially chapters 1–8 – again and again. Much more could be said. The gospel is ultimately not about you or me: it is about what God has accomplished (and will accomplish) through his Son to redeem fallen creation. It is to him you must look. If you are looking for the good news, it is certainly to be found in Romans.
              I really appreciate your response, scripture recommendation, and good information! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                oh I am not saying you will magically be turned into a pure holy man who never lusts or wanting to do the wrong thing. I am saying you will more an more realize that you need to do the right thing. To choose the right thing. Everyone has a "good you" inside of them that knows what that right thing to do is. You know good from bad. Yet a lot of time we ignore that and do the bad anyway because of our desires. It's more fun, it gives us pleasure for a moment. But it is wrong and deep down we know it. Well when you make Christ your Lord, you will be more aware of this "good you" and you will want to please God and to do that you need to choose to do the right thing instead of the wrong thing. You let the "good you" win more often and find that it feels good to do the right thing. and that feeling lasts a lot longer than the temporary pleasure you might get by doing the wrong thing followed by guilt and regret later.
                That all makes good sense! And I agree about Christian movies being somewhat cheesy. Only a few have good acting.

Comment

A
                  Have no fear on Hell as it is to be destroyed by God thus no one will be in it:-
                  Rev. 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This ["the lake of fire"] is the second death [or oblivion].

Get to Know God via John 17:3 and 1 Tim 3:16-17 and Rom 1:20 and Pray and ask for His Truth to be reviled to you and keep looking:-
                  Matt. 7:7-8.
                  BU

Comment

Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
                    A
                    Have no fear on Hell as it is to be destroyed by God thus no one will be in it:-
                    Rev. 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This ["the lake of fire"] is the second death [or oblivion].

Get to Know God via John 17:3 and 1 Tim 3:16-17 and Rom 1:20 and Pray and ask for His Truth to be reviled to you and keep looking:-
                    BU
                    Thank you for the good advice! :)

Comment

Moderator(s): Are proponents of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society permitted to post on the Christianity 201 forum? (See #53, above.)
                      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Moderator(s): Are proponents of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society permitted to post on the Christianity 201 forum? (See #53, above.)
                        If you want to get the attention of the moderators, the best way is to report the post (click on the little black triangle at the bottom left of the post to do that).
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          If you want to get the attention of the moderators, the best way is to report the post (click on the little black triangle at the bottom left of the post to do that).
                          Thank you.
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

I already did that three days ago, and no one did anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
                              A

BU
                              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                              I already did that three days ago, and no one did anything.
                              That is unfortunate.

Comment

Now, I am sure this probably isn't the correct thread, so feel free to move it to the proper spot.

Basically, I am in a sort of existential crisis. I see myself as a soft agnostic, so I am skeptical of almost everything. To me, there are two very simple reasons that this is a rational stance: expert disagreement and the sheer complexity of existence. I want to know the ultimate truth of reality, but I don't see how anyone could possibly ever know such a thing.

The main reason this is so pressing is because of the Christian hell threatening me (not to mention "hells" of other religions).

Christianity says that if you don't "believe," you perish. How on earth can someone magically choose to believe? Sure, I can go to church, talk with believers, pray, and "live the life," but rather than this bringing about evidence of something real, how is this not merely facilitating psychological manipulated belief? I could do the same with any other religion and end up with some sort of belief in it as well. It'd be due to processes such as wish fulfillment and confirmation bias.

No external "evidence" or type of natural theology should convince anyone of God's existence. These areas are hotly debated by elite philosophers on both sides, and no positive ground is ever made. The world is religiously ambiguous and God is essentially "hidden," per major Christian philosophers.

This leaves us to rely on supernatural occurrences from God. I can safely say that only a supernatural occurrence will convince me of anything. Yet how can I somehow get God to grant me this? Pascal seemed to believe that if a person wasn't moral, God would hide himself from that person. I can't possibly be moral without the Holy Spirit's help (per scripture), and the Holy Spirit won't come until belief is had. There is no way to win!

In the end, I wonder if belief will always elude me. Death is scary when of the knowledge that hell might await.
                                I also highly recommend Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
                                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment