Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists praying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheists praying

A new poll of people in Britain found that roughly one in five[1] non-believers there admit that they pray -- especially during a crisis. This sort of agrees with findings by the Pew Research Center which a couple years ago found that nearly 6% of American atheists pray every day and 11% pray weekly or monthly.

This causes me to wonder why these atheists pray if they claim that God does not exist.

The new poll was conducted by ComRes (a market research consultancy headquartered in London and one of the country's best known pollsters) at the behest of Tearfund (a Christian charity involved in alleviating world poverty).

1. Although The Independent says it's "around 24%" and then later says "as many as one in five" and the Daily Mail reports "One in four atheists or agnostics." Taking a quick look at the raw data from ComRes, suggests that 20% is correct (page 21).
    Last edited by rogue06; 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Maybe a "just in case" strategy?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Couldn't hurt right?

I was an atheist because I believed the world was a godless world, but I sometimes wondered if it wasn't, and sometimes when I wondered I prayed. I mean if God exists, and I want to know that, I should pray to get in contact with Him.

That was my thought process at least.

Comment

I prayed even when I was more or less a quasi pantheist.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          I prayed even when I was more or less a quasi pantheist.
          Did you pray to yourself?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Did you pray to yourself?
            No. I had the idea that God existed I just thought he was more of an impersonal actor or that he preferred to act as a force.
            sigpic

Comment

I remember a number of times in my rebellion when I was younger praying, "OK, God, if you're real....."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Considering that the time that they seem to have prayed most often -- in times of a crisis or emergency -- seems to lend support to the old adage about there being no atheists in foxholes.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Considering that the time that they seem to have prayed most often -- in times of a crisis or emergency -- seems to lend support to the old adage about there being no atheists in foxholes.
                  Tending to lend support is no match for direct contradiction.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Tending to lend support is no match for direct contradiction.
                    And yet 20% of British non-believers openly acknowledge that they do upon occasion pray -- especially when faced with a crisis or emergency.

Comment

A new poll of people in Britain found that roughly one in five[1] non-believers there admit that they pray -- especially during a crisis. This sort of agrees with findings by the Pew Research Center which a couple years ago found that nearly 6% of American atheists pray every day and 11% pray weekly or monthly.

This causes me to wonder why these atheists pray if they claim that God does not exist.

The new poll was conducted by ComRes (a market research consultancy headquartered in London and one of the country's best known pollsters) at the behest of Tearfund (a Christian charity involved in alleviating world poverty).

1. Although The Independent says it's "around 24%" and then later says "as many as one in five" and the Daily Mail reports "One in four atheists or agnostics." Taking a quick look at the raw data from ComRes, suggests that 20% is correct (page 21).
                      Not really all that surprising. I'm an atheist and often pray myself, I use the Jesus prayer as a form of meditation, which is what prayer actual is anyway. Being human, we also fear death, so no matter how much of a disbeliever one is, the thought of oblivion could overcome ones reason, or like you say, just in case. But of course that's not a true belief, it's just a fear of death, or a desire to live like that of the sudden conversion of the foxhole atheist.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Not really all that surprising. I'm an atheist and often pray myself, I use the Jesus prayer as a form of meditation, which is what prayer actual is anyway. Being human, we also fear death, so no matter how much of a disbeliever one is, the thought of oblivion could overcome ones reason, or like you say, just in case. But of course that's not a true belief, it's just a fear of death, or a desire to live like that of the sudden conversion of the foxhole atheist.
                        To those of us who believe, prayer is not just meditation, it's talking with God.

The most basic definition of prayer is “talking to God.” Prayer is not meditation or passive reflection; it is direct address to God. It is the communication of the human soul with the Lord who created the soul. Prayer is the primary way for the believer in Jesus Christ to communicate his emotions and desires with God and to fellowship with God.

Comment

This sort of agrees with findings by the Pew Research Center which a couple years ago found that nearly 6% of American atheists pray every day and 11% pray weekly or monthly.
                          According to the Religious Landscape Survey, five percent of evangelicals don't believe in heaven, seven percent of Muslims and ten percent of Catholics feel the same, and just for grins, 49 percent of Jews, a plurality, don't either. It doesn't make much sense, but I don't think there's any way to get around this. There's really no substitute for self-reported religious affiliation.

IIRC, there's also a huge churn among American nones, with nearly half the population moving in and out between surveys.

Maybe the atheists surveyed on Sunday were Baptists on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            To those of us who believe, prayer is not just meditation, it's talking with God.

The most basic definition of prayer is “talking to God.” Prayer is not meditation or passive reflection; it is direct address to God. It is the communication of the human soul with the Lord who created the soul. Prayer is the primary way for the believer in Jesus Christ to communicate his emotions and desires with God and to fellowship with God.
                            Ya think. Do you think you are directly communing with god when praying the rosary, repeating the same words over and over?

Comment

And yet 20% of British non-believers openly acknowledge that they do upon occasion pray -- especially when faced with a crisis or emergency.
                              I don't feel like looking again, but I think that was 16 percent, wasn't it? Leaving 84 percent to continue the contradiction. How does this support the "no atheists in foxholes" trope again?

I know, math is still of the debbil.

Comment