Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I wouldn't even pretend that I could get anywhere close to pronouncing his (it is a he, right?) name correctly.
    Yeah, it's a he. I could probably get the sounds right, but I'm not sure where to place the accents. His books give a new meaning to the word "dense". He's making the argument that particular works were written by Cassian, a monk (later abbot) of the monastery of Mar Sabas outside Jerusalem, in the sixth century based on many rare Greek words/phrases found in them. Each phrase is defined, often given an etymology, and its use in antiquity (Christian and pagan, where applicable) noted. Cassian tended not to cite his sources, because he liked to draw from Origen, Didymus the Blind, Evagrius of Pontus, Theodore of Mopsuestia, and Theodoret of Cyrrhus, all of whom were under imperial and ecclesiastical censure at the time.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      The Real Cassian Revisited: Monastic Life, Greek Paideia, and Origenism in the Sixth Century by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
      A Newly Discovered Greek Father: Cassian the Sabaite Eclipsed by John Cassian of Marseilles by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
      Hawk: A Novel of Vlad Taltos by Steven Brust
      Atomic Adventures: Secret Islands, Forgotten N-Rays, and Isotopic Murder: A Journey into the Wild World of Nuclear Science by James Mahaffey
      Comm Check....: The Final Flight of Shuttle Columbia by Michael Cabbage, William Harwood
      Resurrecting Easter: How the West Lost and the East Kept the Original Easter Vision by John Dominic Crossan, Sarah Crossan
      The Faded Sun Trilogy: Kesrith, Shon'jir, and Kutath by C. J. Cherryh

On deck: An Ancient Commentary on the Book of Revelation: A Critical Edition of the Scholia in Apocalypsin by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
      Clement of Alexandria on Trial by Ashwin-Siejkowsk
      How exactly do you have time to read all this? I barely have time to do some French each day, I crack open my bible and NT Overview book once a week. Do you work an overnight security job?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goulette View Post
        How exactly do you have time to read all this? I barely have time to do some French each day, I crack open my bible and NT Overview book once a week. Do you work an overnight security job?
        I spend about 4 hours commuting to/from work every weekday; most of that time I'm not driving, so I can read.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I spend about 4 hours commuting to/from work every weekday; most of that time I'm not driving, so I can read.
          Four hours? Why don't you just move closer to work? My wife took the train to Toronto for college, it was a little over 2 hours there and back and she couldn't stand it.

Comment

I listen to audiobooks in the car. About the only time I have to actually "read" any more.

Comment

Four hours? Why don't you just move closer to work? My wife took the train to Toronto for college, it was a little over 2 hours there and back and she couldn't stand it.
              It's about 2 hours each way, not 4. Four hours total. And the distance really isn't the issue, but the traffic. I can drive to work in about 35 minutes on the weekend.

sigpic

Comment

It's about 2 hours each way, not 4. Four hours total. And the distance really isn't the issue, but the traffic. I can drive to work in about 35 minutes on the weekend.
                Wait . . . you read while you drive through gridlock!?

Read on your phone?

Comment

Wait . . . you read while you drive through gridlock!?

Read on your phone?
                  Likely train or bus

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Likely train or bus
                    Both, so Metro can get two fares out of me each way.

Until last year, the bus went downtown, stopping a block from work. Now, it goes to a Metro station, and I have to take two different lines to get to work.

sigpic

Comment

Until last year, the bus went downtown, stopping a block from work. Now, it goes to a Metro station, and I have to take two different lines to get to work.
                      That reminds me of when I went to my first college, in Toronto. I was living in Mississauga (where that bomb blast just happened), so I drove the nearest GO train station, and took the train to Union Station right downtown in the Greater Toronto Area (GTO). I took the subway from there to the station around the corner from my college campus.

If I had baseball practice or a game, I would just drive in along the uber-busy Gardiner Expressway, and up along the uber-uber-busy Spading Ave, which passes by the Rogers Centre (aka the Skydome where the Blue Jays play baseball), and through Chinatown, through the University of Toronto up toward the north end of the city. And after class I would come almost all the way back because our college's baseball field was right in Chinatown.

When I was 18 it was a blast doing this everyday, especially coming from a boring small town, but I couldn't do that today.

Unless perhaps if I was going to U of T for religion and theological studies!

Comment

I used to ride the bus. It took me 35 minutes to go 12 miles. I stopped when they kept raising the monthly fare to the point it was economical for me to just drive and pay for monthly parking. No more waiting outside in the winter time for the bus which was always late. Now I can drive to work in 15 minutes even during rush hour. Although it still takes me 30 minutes to get home in the afternoon, because of construction. I think they do road construction just to piss people off. Because when they are done, the roads still suck. Sometimes worse, because they will fill pot holes and turn them into humps.

But now I listen to audible books in the car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I used to ride the bus. It took me 35 minutes to go 12 miles. I stopped when they kept raising the monthly fare to the point it was economical for me to just drive and pay for monthly parking. No more waiting outside in the winter time for the bus which was always late. Now I can drive to work in 15 minutes even during rush hour. Although it still takes me 30 minutes to get home in the afternoon, because of construction. I think they do road construction just to piss people off. Because when they are done, the roads still suck. Sometimes worse, because they will fill pot holes and turn them into humps.

Must be nice. Rush "hour" is like 4 hours long here - and it costs more to park downtown than it does for me to take public transportation.

sigpic

Comment

• I recently started reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. It's pretty good. I haven't seen any of the TV show, tho.
                            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You should've seen Kitchener last year. The Waterloo region decided to create a light-rail transit (LRT, aka streetcar) system throughout the region to connect to most cities around here. The construction was abominable, it took 3 times as long just to reach uptown, and then you had to figure out which road you were allowed to drive on. That took two whole years. And now the region is suing the company that was supposed to deliver the actual railcars because we still haven't received them yet.

Then they decided the close down a bridge that crosses over the highway, and this bridge is along the highway that goes out to a nearby major city where a lot of people work. First they closed off one of the onramps to the highway . . . without notifying anyone through any media outlet, so I was 2 minutes late for work one day because I had no idea it was closed that day. Work gave me a demerit point for being 2 minutes late. Them's the rules my boss said, even though I only missed the first two stretching exercises we do, and didn't miss any actual work!

Then they closed the whole bridge and it will be closed for a year and a half, so traffic is utilizing the side streets and neighbourhood streets. Then shortly after that they decided to close the next nearest bridge that goes over the highway and its onramps. So now I have to go way down another road to get to the highway, which oddly enough is about the same distance away as the other two onramps, but traffic is freaking hideous at 4 PM. They also have a train yard at the crossroads of the roads that lead to these highway onramps, and they like to work only during rush hour, and like to connect 3 mile long trains to other 3 mile long trains, and stop right over the rail crossing, go back and forth a few times, and I mean go all the way forward to the end of the train, but not quite the end so that the end is on the road crossing, sit there for 10 minutes, then back up all the way . . . . but not QUITE all the way, so the engines or the first couple cars are on the road crossing . . . then go back forward ad infinitum.

Yeah I hate our road system here. I don't listen to audiobooks anyway, I listen to music which is my other favourite thing to do.

Comment

Must be nice. Rush "hour" is like 4 hours long here - and it costs more to park downtown than it does for me to take public transportation.
                                What city are you talking about? A bunch of people here in Kitchener work in Toronto or the TO area. In good traffic it's slightly over a hour to get to Toronto, I can't imagine what rush hour is like.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X