Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Are there some guy things that just don't jibe with you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I hate tending the lawn and fixing cars. I love almost all sports, except hockey.
    Huh I wonder what are the opinions of Male Canadians (on this forum) regarding hockey?
    I know that one of my cousins in Toronto doesn't like it but at least one in North Bay does.
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I don't have as much of a problem with NCAA sports because, despite the corruption, the participants generally are much better for their participation. Many kids from inner city neighborhood end up getting scholarships and opportunities they otherwise never would have had, and this even applies at a community college level. I understand the trepidation, though. My college won the national basketball championship while I was there and everything felt a little sourer because there were plenty of rumors of improprieties going around (although I personally got to know one player, who was a practicing Christian whose reputation was beyond reproach).

Having said that, I do think athletes in profit sports should be financially compensated, though frankly, they get plenty as it is. They're building a posh student apartment complex basically just for the basketball players at my alma mater (I would complain about what other university departments could use the money, but apparently athletic department donors are paying for it anyway).
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't have as much of a problem with NCAA sports because, despite the corruption, the participants generally are much better for their participation. Many kids from inner city neighborhood end up getting scholarships and opportunities they otherwise never would have had, and this even applies at a community college level. I understand the trepidation, though. My college won the national basketball championship while I was there and everything felt a little sourer because there were plenty of rumors of improprieties going around (although I personally got to know one player, who was a practicing Christian whose reputation was beyond reproach).
        Just out of curiosity -- because I DON'T know, and only have negative perceptions on the matter ---
        A) how many of these "kids" don't take advantage of the fame and influence to have greater access to drugs and other "problems"
        2) how many of them are "in a good way" after their sports time is over.

And I just noticed the comment was about the NCAA, not the NBA, so... I was thinking more like NBA
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Just out of curiosity -- because I DON'T know, and only have negative perceptions on the matter ---
          A) how many of these "kids" don't take advantage of the fame and influence to have greater access to drugs and other "problems"
          2) how many of them are "in a good way" after their sports time is over.
          When I was at the University of Kansas, about half the basketball team probably used their fame for negative sorts of things. Maybe about a third were committed Christians and involved with campus fellowships and the like. I think this sounds like about the same proportion of good vs. bad for what regular students do (it was a party school and all kinds of students were party animals). Incidentally, one basketball player quit partying and decided to become a Christian, and passed up an NBA career for ministry.

The students are probably for the most part in a financially better place afterward, as job networking has been made easier for them. Those who actually make it to the professionals may not be as lucky, as many NBA players have gone broke shortly after retirement.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

When I was at the University of Kansas, about half the basketball team probably used their fame for negative sorts of things. Maybe about a third were committed Christians and involved with campus fellowships and the like. I think this sounds like about the same proportion of good vs. bad for what regular students do (it was a party school and all kinds of students were party animals). Incidentally, one basketball player quit partying and decided to become a Christian, and passed up an NBA career for ministry.

The students are probably for the most part in a financially better place afterward, as job networking has been made easier for them. Those who actually make it to the professionals may not be as lucky, as many NBA players have gone broke shortly after retirement.
            Thanks, and, yeah, I edited my post admitting I missed the NCAA -- read that as NBA, and ... was thinking more along those lines.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Thanks, and, yeah, I edited my post admitting I missed the NCAA -- read that as NBA, and ... was thinking more along those lines.
              Yeah, that's generally a difficult place to live a godly life. I remember reading about one player in the 80s/90s who was determined to stay chaste until marriage, and he took a lot of abuse from other players for his decisions.

Comment

I...uh...

...I don't like....

...uh, beer.

But I do like basketball, rugby (league more than union), cricket, AFL. And outdoors stuff.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  I...uh...

...I don't like....

...uh, beer.

But I do like basketball, rugby (league more than union), cricket, AFL. And outdoors stuff.
                  one day I will have to figure out the rules for League.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    I...uh...

...I don't like....

...uh, beer.

Who's your NBA team? I do remember you saying you don't like the Lakers, and neither do I

Comment

I'm pretty ambivalent about sports. Just can't bring myself to care, really.

I also find Nascar quite boring.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          one day I will have to figure out the rules for League.

They're fairly simple, and I think more logically consistent than for union, which one reason I like it a bit more.

Comment

Who's your NBA team? I do remember you saying you don't like the Lakers, and neither do I
                            San Antonio Spurs - originally because of DRob and Sean Marks, then Timmeh, Manu and TP. Pop is a great, bristly, but modest coach. They play the game the 'right way', don't big-note it, and are just a classy organisation. Kiwi/Aussie connection with Baynes, Sean Marks and Patty Mills.

Just wish they'd managed to sign Steven Adams in the last draft... He could be really good, his Kiwi attitude would fit in easily, with Spurs coaching, who knows?

Edit to add: Lakers have had some great teams and played some great ball, but I just don't like the colours, the entitled attitude (Kobe, Shaq, Phil Jackson, Fisher)

Comment

I dont like most sports. I have a bad history with baseball in particular.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                                I dont like most sports. I have a bad history with baseball in particular.
                                Get beaned by a pitch or hit somewhere sensitive by a line drive?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X