Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

20 Jan 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Jan 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ealth-disaster

On 20 Jan, the US had its first case. On the same day, South Korea had its first case. And Trump's response has bee great, just great, proving Trump's abilities as a wartime president.

But at some point we will have to ask whether Trump has been effective.
    “The US response will be studied for generations as a textbook example of a disastrous, failed effort,” Ron Klain, who spearheaded the fight against Ebola in 2014, told a Georgetown university panel recently. “What’s happened in Washington has been a fiasco of incredible proportions.”

As long as Trump lets others decide what needs to be done, things will be fine. He seems to be doing so, like when he was going around saying he was going to open up the country by Easter and then walked it back on the advice of the doctors. So while he likes to talk and say stupid things, he does listen to those who know what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      As long as Trump lets others decide what needs to be done, things will be fine. He seems to be doing so, like when he was going around saying he was going to open up the country by Easter and then walked it back on the advice of the doctors. So while he likes to talk and say stupid things, he does listen to those who know what is going on.
      Unfortunately he started listening way too late. And I would not rest assured he will continue to listen to experts. I sure hope so.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Unfortunately he started listening way too late. And I would not rest assured he will continue to listen to experts. I sure hope so.
        Everything that is being done, is being run by others. Trump isn't doing anything but jabbering on TV. Which I think is for the best. I think the only thing he is doing is calling up companies to get them to make masks and ventilators and threatening them with the DPA if they don't. Which is also a good thing.

Comment

Everything that is being done, is being run by others. Trump isn't doing anything but jabbering on TV. Which I think is for the best. I think the only thing he is doing is calling up companies to get them to make masks and ventilators and threatening them with the DPA if they don't. Which is also a good thing.
          The Commander in Chief is supposed to lead and not hideout in the bilge.

Trump's phony claim that that the coronavirus be resolves by Easter was sent out to government workers like laid off form the 2020 Census had to be retracted.

Then there is Fauci's phony baloney claim for 100,000 to 200,000 deaths for the USA. When the coronavirus naturally takes its course and passes in May or June with significant casualties. Trump will do a victory dance claiming he prevented between 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-30-2020, 02:12 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The Commander in Chief is supposed to lead and not hideout in the bilge.
            LOL you all complain that he should let the experts take control, and when he does, you say he isn't doing enough. He is leading and delegating. He is letting the experts do their job.

Trump's phony claim that that the coronavirus be resolves by Easter was sent out to government workers like laid off form the 2020 Census had to be retracted.
            huh? He said he hopes they could start reopening some parts of the country by Easter, not that it would be resolved. And he said he would talk to the experts and go by what they say.

Then there is Fauci's phony baloney claim for 100,000 to 200,000 deaths for the USA. When the coronavirus naturally takes its course and passes in May or June with significant casualties. Trump will do a victory dance claiming he prevented between 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.
            So when Trump is overly optimistic and says it will be over soon, you complain he is giving false hope and lying. If they claim something dire like 100-200K people could die, you guys claim he is being too negative so he can claim victory later if it's not as bad as he said.

Comment

Exactly. What Trump says is not nearly as important as what he actually does.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                His biggest problem is he can't just answer a question succinctly. He has to ramble on and on, repeating himself several times, thinking of something and going on a tangent, then saying something stupid. He is a horrible public speaker. When he is talking one on one in an interview he does great. The more he rambles, the more fodder he gives the MSM.
                Last edited by Sparko; 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

His biggest problem is he can't just answer a question succinctly. He has to ramble on and on, repeating himself several times, thinking of something and going on a tangent, then saying something stupid. He is a horrible public speaker. When he is talking one on one in an interview he does great. The more he rambles, the more fodder he gives the MSM.
                  His campaign speeches can be good but those on single topics like this, not so much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    His campaign speeches can be good but those on single topics like this, not so much.
                    Link to a vid or transcript of what you consider a “good” Trump speech. I’d love to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      His rally speeches are just a bunch of sound bites and cheer leading. I can't listen to more than 5 minutes of one. I did think his speech to the nation from the oval office about the coronavirus was pretty good, but it was obvious he was reading a teleprompter.

Comment

LOL you all complain that he should let the experts take control, and when he does, you say he isn't doing enough. He is leading and delegating. He is letting the experts do their job.
                        I believe Trump did not follow the experts in the early weeks of the coronavirus pandemic.

huh? He said he hopes they could start reopening some parts of the country by Easter, not that it would be resolved. And he said he would talk to the experts and go by what they say.
                        He said a great deal more than that!

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-lockdown-skepticism-143800

President Donald Trump on Monday said he planned to pull the U.S. economy out of its coronavirus-induced slumber in a matter of weeks, and refused to commit to following the advice of his handpicked health experts — many of whom have warned that it will be a matter of months before it will be safe to reopen the country again — when reassessing guidelines for social isolation.

“Our country wasn’t built to be shut down. This is not a country that was built for this,” Trump insisted to reporters during a White House press briefing with his coronavirus task force on Monday evening, predicting that “America will again and soon be open for business. Very soon. A lot sooner than three or four months that somebody was suggesting.”

The president complained that he didn’t want to let the “cure” to the fast-spreading pandemic — social isolation that has prompted the shuttering of businesses across the country and cratered the economy — to be worse than the disease itself. He even claimed, without evidence, that the economic downturn caused by continuing the social distancing recommendation could result in more deaths “than anything we are talking about with respect to the virus.”

Trump very strongly hinted that he planned to ease federal guidance on social distancing at the end of his administration’s “15 Days to Slow the Spread” initiative, which ends next Monday, despite an expected explosion of reported cases as tests for coronavirus become more widely available.

Current guidance instructs Americans across the country to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people; work or attend school from home whenever possible; and abstain from eating or drinking at bars, restaurants and food courts. But in more than a dozen states with higher concentrations of cases, governors have issued mandatory shelter-in-place directives or ordered all non-essential businesses closed.

Health experts are in agreement that social isolation is imperative to blunting the spread of the disease, and on Monday, health officials cast the coming week as the most critical yet for the effort to “flatten the curve” of infected individuals and prevent resource-strapped health care systems from becoming overwhelmed.

© Copyright Original Source

So when Trump is overly optimistic and says it will be over soon, you complain he is giving false hope and lying. If they claim something dire like 100-200K people could die, you guys claim he is being too negative so he can claim victory later if it's not as bad as he said.
                        Both are conflicting problems from the government and both wrong.

[/QUOTE]
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Trump makes baseless vindictive accusation of New York hospital that " . . . the masks are going out the back door."

Is the coronavirus just like a "common flu."

Frank

Comment

You didn't read the article, did you Sparko?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              That's true, though they are both important, and he has failed in both cases. Try reading the article!
                              Last edited by JimL; 03-30-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment