Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Biblical account confirmed by archaeological find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biblical account confirmed by archaeological find

Source: Discovery confirms Biblical account of Jerusalem

Israeli archaeologists unveiled on Monday a 2,700-year-old clay seal impression which they said belonged to a biblical governor of Jerusalem.

The artifact, inscribed in an ancient Hebrew script as "belonging to the governor of the city", was likely attached to a shipment or sent as a souvenir on behalf of the governor, the most prominent local position held in Jerusalem at the time, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

The impression, the size of a small coin, depicts two standing men, facing each other in a mirror-like manner and wearing striped garments reaching down to their knees. It was unearthed near the plaza of Judaism's Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem.

"It supports the Biblical rendering of the existence of a governor of the city in Jerusalem 2,700 years ago," an Antiquities Authority statement quoted excavator Shlomit Weksler-Bdolah as saying.

Governors of Jerusalem, appointed by the king, are mentioned twice in the Bible, in 2 Kings, which refers to Joshua holding the position, and in 2 Chronicles, which mentions Masseiah in the post during the reign of Josiah.

© Copyright Original Source

link
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Neat!
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Does the coin identify them by name? Because simply saying "governor" doesn't really seem to be much of a confirmation of anything. Or was there a question about whether there were governors at all in Israel at the time?

Comment

Interesting but not significant.

I do not see that the appointment of governors to cities by kings at this time represents anything controversial that it needs confirmation. The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Does the coin identify them by name? Because simply saying "governor" doesn't really seem to be much of a confirmation of anything. Or was there a question about whether there were governors at all in Israel at the time?
          There wasn't evidence supporting the Tanakh's mention of governors in Jerusalem, so it was doubted. It's not a major point, but it's far from the first material to be doubted only to be subsequently affirmed by evidence.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Interesting but not significant.

I do not see that the appointment of governors to cities by kings at this time represents anything controversial that it needs confirmation. The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
            Modern and postmodern scholars are well known for rejecting any fact contained in the Bible not supported by outside evidence.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Modern and postmodern scholars are well known for rejecting any fact contained in the Bible not supported by outside evidence.
              Not true. Citations please.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Surely you're not this ignorant. It's not as if you're typically any sort of supporter of the historicity of the Tanakh.

sigpic

Comment

The Bible is well known for containing historical facts, because the Bible is set in history.
                  First thing Shuny ever said that makes sense.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Comment

Read theologyweb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Read theologyweb.
                      Link please

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Surely you're not this ignorant. It's not as if you're typically any sort of supporter of the historicity of the Tanakh.
                        Historicity of the entire Tanakh is very very different from the presence of historical facts in the Tanakh. There are in fact many known historical facts in the Tanakh.

Frank

Comment