Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Answering An Argument Against God's Ordination of All Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answering An Argument Against God's Ordination of All Things

There is an argument I heard that is against the view that God ordains everything that comes to pass. How would you respond to it?

If God ordains everything that comes to pass, then God ordains that Christians will not use their God-given strength to overcome sin in certain circumstances.
    If God ordains that Christians will not use their God-given strength to overcome sin in certain circumstances, then sin is unavoidable in certain circumstances.
    If sin is unavoidable in certain circumstances, then this would be inconsistent with the teaching of 1 Corinthians 10:13, which teaches that God will provide a way to escape the temptation to sin.

Conclusion: If God ordains everything that comes to pass, hen this would be inconsistent with the teaching of 1 Corinthians 10:13, which teaches that God will provide a way to escape the temptation to sin.

What is your working definition of "ordain"? God allows things to happen but does not endorse them.

The other day, a friend of mine posted a quotation from a Calvinist theologian who argued that God invented and introduced sin as part of his plan because God controls everything that happens. This would be the logical conclusion of such a determinist viewpoint, but is quite obviously wrong.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Are there actually any twebbers that think God actually is fully equivalent to an author? Because fictional characters have no choice but be whatever the writer has them to be.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
        There is an argument I heard ....
        This appears to be the internet version of "they say...."
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This appears to be the internet version of "they say...."
          Last time, I think the "they" was Sye ten Bruggencate IIRC, who doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Is this topic a ?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Is this topic a ?
              That's my suspicion any time an OP begins "There is an argument I heard...."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And supposedly there are no stupid questions... except that I've seen a few threads on tweb that are stupid questions. Only a small child could get away with asking them!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  And supposedly there are no stupid questions... except that I've seen a few threads on tweb that are stupid questions. Only a small child could get away with asking them!
                  Are we there yet?

Comment

Are we there yet?
                    That's just being impatient. Though, don't we do something similar when we say "com soon Jesus"?

Comment

There are stupid questions.

I think my favorite at work was when somebody asked me if Trump would deport him if he mailed a package to his mom in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I think my favorite at work was when somebody asked me if Trump would deport him if he mailed a package to his mom in Mexico.
                        A guy I work with asked a couple weeks ago why doesn't Trump fire Nancy Pelosi

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

My favorite came from Mrs CP.

She had been out of town for the weekend for a Womens's Retreat, and while she was gone, my daughter told me that she just found out that a friend of ours had died, and the funeral was that Saturday.
                          Jenny and I attend the funeral, and got home the same time my wife got home from the Retreat.

She saw us get out of the car, and asked "why are you guys so dressed up?"

I told her "we went to a funeral".

Mrs CP asked, "Oh, somebody died?"

My daughter smiled and said, "you handle this one, Dad".

Comment

Maybe she wanted to know who had died? Poor phrasing though!

Comment

My favorite came from Mrs CP.

She had been out of town for the weekend for a Womens's Retreat, and while she was gone, my daughter told me that she just found out that a friend of ours had died, and the funeral was that Saturday.
                              Jenny and I attend the funeral, and got home the same time my wife got home from the Retreat.

She saw us get out of the car, and asked "why are you guys so dressed up?"

I told her "we went to a funeral".

Mrs CP asked, "Oh, somebody died?"

My daughter smiled and said, "you handle this one, Dad".
                              What? Do most people wait until someone is dead before doing their funeral?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X