Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ya THINK?

Already said --- many crimes of passion and crimes against persons are committed against people they know. That could very well be other illegals who would not report such crimes. Illegals are much better at "keeping their heads down" than would be the general populace.

Heck, I bet you don't find many illegals committing crimes and boasting of it on Facebook!
    • Many (most?) crimes are committed against people we know - for all three classes.
    • There could very well be other people of all three classes that do not report such crimes.
    • People in all three classes don't post their crimes on Facebook.

As Jim pointed out, demonizing/dehumanizing a group is a step towards atrocity. Genocide watch identifies the eight stages of genocide. Some of them are innocuous and happen in pretty much any society. Then the line gets crossed and people have already come to accept the stages that have slipped past them unnoticed. The stages are:
    1. Classification
    2. Symbolization
    3. Dehumaniization
    4. Organization
    5. Polarization
    6. Preparation
    7. Extermination
    8. Denial

It is frightening that we are now into Stage 6 in the U.S. Of course, the response will be "never here." I'm sure societies around the world have said "never here" just before the reality struck. We are already defending and supporting Stages 1-5 as "acceptable" and "justified."
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      As Jim pointed out, demonizing/dehumanizing a group is a step towards atrocity.
      I'm not demonizing anybody, ya big goof, I'm asking QUESTIONS.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not demonizing anybody, ya big goof, I'm asking QUESTIONS.
        I don't believe my post was specifically accusatory to you, other than responding to statements you made that I think had faulty (and target-specific) logic. The rest generally addressed the situation currently underway in this country. My apologies if you took it differently.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I don't believe any of my post was specifically accusatory to you, but rather addressed the situation currently underway in this country. Apologies if you took it differently.
          I always smile at those "apologies" that place the blame on the other person.

Carpe, I was simply asking some questions to which I did not know the answers. There are times you can be really full of yourself.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I always smile at those "apologies" that place the blame on the other person.

Carpe, I was simply asking some questions to which I did not know the answers. There are times you can be really full of yourself.
            This conversation appears to be heading down the usual hole, so I'll leave the last word to you.

Comment

• Many (most?) crimes are committed against people we know - for all three classes.
              • There could very well be other people of all three classes that do not report such crimes.

As Jim pointed out, demonizing/dehumanizing a group is a step towards atrocity. Genocide watch identifies the eight stages of genocide. Some of them are innocuous and happen in pretty much any society. Then the line gets crossed and people have already come to accept the stages that have slipped past them unnoticed. The stages are:
              1. Classification
              2. Symbolization
              3. Dehumaniization
              4. Organization
              5. Polarization
              6. Preparation
              7. Extermination
              8. Denial

It is frightening that we are now into Stage 6 in the U.S. Of course, the response will be "never here." I'm sure societies around the world have said "never here" just before the reality struck. We are already defending and supporting Stages 1-5 as "acceptable" and "justified."
              We're not even in stage 3!
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This conversation appears to be heading down the usual hole, so I'll leave the last word to you.

Have you thought about putting "I'll leave the last word to you" in your signature?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  We're not even in stage 3!
                  Given the situation at the border - the consistent language about "those illegals," the organized raids, the level of us/them polarization...I think you're in denial.

Comment

Given the situation at the border - the consistent language about "those illegals," the organized raids, the level of us/them polarization...I think you're in denial.
                    And I think you are. Identifying people who are breaking the law as lawbreakers is simple factual identification. The raids are against people who have outstanding warrants for deportation. That's not dehumanizing them. It's enforcing the law. The fact that you are emotionalizing it doesn't make it an emotional issue.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And I think you are. Identifying people who are breaking the law as lawbreakers is simple factual identification. The raids are against people who have outstanding warrants for deportation. That's not dehumanizing them. It's enforcing the law. The fact that you are emotionalizing it doesn't make it an emotional issue.
                      Dehumanizing means saying factual things that leftists like Carp don't like. We should stop triggering him...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Have you thought about putting "I'll leave the last word to you" in your signature?
                        I think you should try to beat him to it next time.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

[LIST][*]Many (most?) crimes are committed against people we know - for all three classes.
                          "persons we know"?

Many crimes are committed by persons known to the victim - "we" may never know who they are.
                          Many other crimes are committed to facilitate one's entry into the US (besides the illegal entry itself) such as burglaries and thefts of food and materials.

In order for the crime to show up in a report, there needs to be a complainant.
                          When somebody's continued presence in the US is in jeopardy, they're likely not even to file charges, if they even ever report it to authorities.
                          When somebody commits a crime "on the run" to hide from authorities, it can be known that a crime was committed, but there's no way to tie it to a particular person.

On top of that, I've spent 5 years doing FBI Uniform Crime Reports, and am well aware of how crimes can be categorized or classified to the advantage of the reporting agency - either to show a reduction in violent crime to benefit a sheriff running for office, or to show a rise in violent crime to justify increases in budget.

I'm suspicious of crime reports in general, but crime reports involving illegal aliens specifically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I think you should try to beat him to it next time.
                            It shouldn't be difficult -- you can always see it welling up.

Comment

And I think you are. Identifying people who are breaking the law as lawbreakers is simple factual identification.
                              In spite of the "only reason you arrested me is cause I'm black!" type of crap.

Comment

1. Classification
                                2. Symbolization
                                3. Dehumaniization
                                4. Organization
                                5. Polarization
                                6. Preparation
                                7. Extermination
                                8. Denial

I like how liberals are busy demonizing their opposition so they can cover up the fact the goal is to bring in a new liberal voter to make their opposition irrelevant.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment