Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Slow cooking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.
    Mine is 43 years old.

I don't use it much anymore, and sometimes think I would like to get a new one. Recipes are better these days.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.
        This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think I'm gonna get a chunk of beef, some taters, onions and carrots and let them hot tub all day Thursday.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.
            Hmmm. Judging from the reviews, your model has quite a reputation for high tempatures. ..
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Hmmm. Judging from the reviews, your model has quite a reputation for high tempatures. ..
              I haven't had any problems with mine over-heating.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Time for me to make some crockpot Chili.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Me, too, neither.
                  2014-11-10-cornbread-7-680x384.jpg
                  http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/ho...c-0476cca27a40

Comment

I got a crock-pot as a Christmas gift. What a blessing. Food goes in this morning and comes out ready tonight!!! (Its bbq pork shoulder today!)
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      I got a crock-pot as a Christmas gift. What a blessing. Food goes in this morning and comes out ready tonight!!! (Its bbq pork shoulder today!)
                      It is NOT a blessing. You have to put up with the delicious smell all freaking day long!!!! ARRRRRRRGHHHHH. It is torture.

Comment