Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Help me! I'm beginning to abandon the Trinity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Christ shows us the nature of the Father independent of what you may believe about the Trinity.
    That is all the instruction we need to live well - getting this one doctrine correct isn't a huge deal.

Christ is God for Dummies.

So it is okay to take the ole' Trinitarian doctrine out for a spin but don't get hung up on it.
    Do you believe in the Trinity?

Comment

Originally posted by RGJesus View Post
      How would you argue for the Trinity?
      Point you to Apologia Phoenix's area on here

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fo...-Deeper-Waters
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        The God-man Jesus died. Separating the two natures is Nestorianism.
        Are you saying that both God and man in Jesus die? Not the man Jesus?

Comment

Point you to Apologia Phoenix's area on here

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fo...-Deeper-Waters
          I'd like to hear how you'd argue for the Trinity, Bill the Cat.

Comment

Are you saying that both God and man in Jesus die? Not the man Jesus?
            Does your spirit die when your flesh does?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'd like to hear how you'd argue for the Trinity, Bill the Cat.
              Not really my forte. I deal with Mormons mainly. Nick is far better and WAAAAAYYYY more well-read on the Trinity
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Not really my forte. I deal with Mormons mainly. Nick is far better and WAAAAAYYYY more well-read on the Trinity
                I know about Nick Peters (son-in-law of Mike Licona). He's a very good apologist.

Don't you believe in the Trinity? If so, I'd like to hear how you personally would argue for the Trinity. Give it your best shot, unless you're afraid that I might plant doubts in your head. If so, that should motivate you to make sure what you believe corresponds with truth.
                Last edited by RGJesus; 11-10-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Does your spirit die when your flesh does?
                  Let's just say my spirit doesn't die when my flesh does. When Jesus died, was his flesh that died? If so, then it is the man Jesus that died, not the God-man Jesus. Or maybe it is the flesh of (the God-man) Jesus that died. Are you not seeing the logical problem?
                  Last edited by RGJesus; 11-10-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Let's just say my spirit doesn't die when my flesh does. When Jesus died, was his flesh that died? If so, then it is the man Jesus that died, not the God-man Jesus. Are you not seeing the logical problem?
                    Separating the identity of even Jesus' flesh from a divine spirit dwelling in it is apollinarianism. God and man are distinct natures that cannot be confused or divided.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                      Separating the identity of even Jesus' flesh from a divine spirit dwelling in it is apollinarianism. God and man are distinct natures that cannot be confused or divided.
                      Then, thewriteranon, you've just branded Bill the Cat as guilty of apollinarianism, I think.

How would you answer? When Jesus died, was it the man Jesus, was it the God Jesus, or was it the God-man Jesus that died?

Comment

Then, thewriteranon, you've just branded Bill the Cat as guilty of apollinarianism, I think.

How would you answer? When Jesus died, was it the man Jesus, was it the God Jesus, or was it the God-man Jesus that died?
                        Yes.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Yes.
                          Yes to all questions? Your answer is different from Bill the Cat and other Trinitarians. Please explain how the God Jesus die?
                          Last edited by RGJesus; 11-10-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Yes to each question?
                            The two natures cannot be confused or divided.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

The two natures cannot be confused or divided.
                              Please explain how the God-man Jesus died. Let's start with this: before Jesus resurrected, when his dead corpse was laying in the tomb, was it conscious or unconscious?

Comment

Please explain how the God-man Jesus died. Let's start with this: before Jesus resurrected, when his dead corpse was laying in the tomb, was it conscious or unconscious?
                                I'm not going to play question and answer games as I don't like the cut of your jib here. You're going to need to go back to the church fathers because you clearly are approaching the whole question in a modernist mindset that is recent and deeply flawed. Athanasius, first and foremost. The Cappadocian fathers. And please throw in some pseudo-Dionysius to introduce you to the concept of theological mystery.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X