Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Every Democrat in the Senate Against Free Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    ...and perhaps the democrats outdid the republicans for the first time in 2018 in garnering special interest donations...
    Perhaps?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is about campaign financing, Sparko, not about Hollywood or the movies they make. As far as movies are concerned, you see what you want to see.
      so you didn't read the article then? Or even the first paragraph of CP's OP?

Every Democrat in the Senate is backing a constitutional amendment that aims to overturn Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, the 2010 decision in which the Supreme Court lifted legal restrictions on what corporations and unions are allowed to say about politics at election time. That would be troubling enough, since Citizens United, which involved a film that was banned from TV because it was too critical of Hillary Clinton, simply recognized that Americans do not lose their First Amendment rights when they organize themselves in a disfavored way. But the so-called Democracy for All Amendment goes much further than nullifying one Supreme Court decision. It would radically rewrite the constitutional treatment of political speech, allowing Congress and state legislatures to impose any restrictions on election-related spending they consider reasonable.

The case they want to revoke with this new amendment was regarding a movie that was critical to Hillary. The case was decided that spending money to criticize a candidate was within the free speech rights of a company no matter how much they spent on it. Revoking that would mean that the government could limit how much money could be spent on such a movie or project, making it impossible to make or show on TV. So Trump could say, you can't spend more than 1000 on any movies that are critical to him, or in support of any Democratic candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You obviously don't have a grasp of this whole concept.

I bet you even typed that with a straight face.

What the Democrat party thinks is a fine idea is getting REPUBLICAN special interest big money out of politics, but allowing their own.
        The question remains, why do you want special interests money to remain in politics?

Comment

The question remains, why do you want special interests money to remain in politics?
          Please show me where I ever said I did.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Democrats could care less about special interest money in politics. The records show they took tons of it in 2018. They only care when Republicans get money.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Democrats could care less about special interest money in politics. The records show they took tons of it in 2018. They only care when Republicans get money.
              And Republicans are just as bad - it's just that the Democrats are, in this case, the ones trying to change the rules. Just like eliminating the electoral college --- "we can't win fair and square, so we're gonna change the rules".

Comment

And Republicans are just as bad - it's just that the Democrats are, in this case, the ones trying to change the rules. Just like eliminating the electoral college --- "we can't win fair and square, so we're gonna change the rules".
                So, like I asked before, and you denied it, why do you want special interest money in politics? Democrats are trying to change those rules, because it leads to a corrupt system. So why don't you want to change that? My guess is that you understand that it is you republicans that can't win in a fair election.

Comment

So, like I asked before, and you denied it, why do you want special interest money in politics?
                  Jim, you can play this stupid little game, but it's pretty transparent what you're doing. How bout growing up a bit?

Democrats are trying to change those rules, because it leads to a corrupt system.
                  Democrats are trying to change the rules so they can have an advantage, just like getting rid of the electoral college.

So why don't you want to change that? My guess is that you understand that it is you republicans that can't win in a fair election.
                  Sure, Jim - you've got it all figured out.

Comment

Jim, you can play this stupid little game, but it's pretty transparent what you're doing. How bout growing up a bit?

Democrats are trying to change the rules so they can have an advantage, just like getting rid of the electoral college.

Sure, Jim - you've got it all figured out.
                    CP, you just gave yourself away. You just admitted that you want special interest money in elections because without it, democrats win. Checkmate, you lose.

Comment

CP, you just gave yourself away. You just admitted that you want special interest money in elections because without it, democrats win. Checkmate, you lose.
                      That's an outright lie, Jim -- but no surprise from you whatsoever. But feel free to play your stupid moronic games.

Comment

That's an outright lie, Jim -- but no surprise from you whatsoever. But feel free to play your stupid moronic games.
                        A lie, what are you talking about, it's right there in your post.

Comment

A lie, what are you talking about, it's right there in your post.
                          That I gave up trying to reason with you, and said, basically, "yeah, whatever"? Are you really THAT stupid? Or dishonest?

I have already expressed my concern about money in politics, and that I think every contribution should be identified as to who gave it.

Comment

That I gave up trying to reason with you, and said, basically, "yeah, whatever"? Are you really THAT stupid? Or dishonest?

I have already expressed my concern about money in politics, and that I think every contribution should be identified as to who gave it.
                            No that's not what you said, you implied that you wanted special interest money in politics because the only reason democrats were trying to reform the system by getting special interest money out was because it gave them an advantage. In other words, you want it to remain corrupt because you know that republicans have the advantage with the corrupt system remaining as is because it is to their advantage.

Comment

No that's not what you said, you implied that you wanted special interest money in politics because the only reason democrats were trying to reform the system by getting special interest money out was because it gave them an advantage. In other words, you want it to remain corrupt because you know that republicans have the advantage with the corrupt system remaining as is because it is to their advantage.
                              Post my exact quote where I said that.

I IMPLIED no such thing, though, in your incredibly biased ignorance, you may have erroneously INFERRED that.

Comment

Cut it out, Jim - you're gonna get yourself in trouble with the mods for unsupported accusations of lying.

Opposing a law that maliciously gives one side an advantage is not the same thing as supporting laws that maliciously gives your side an advantage.

Democrats come and go with this one - and it does follow whether or not they are the recipients (with unions in decline it's not surprising they are back at this). Conversely, historically Democrats benefit from small actor donations (until Trump ) be they businesses or individuals. But the small actor cannot legitimately be said to not be attempting influence - influence is the purpose of donations. And they too, act collectively (PACs, interest groups, et al) - so should they be barred as well?

Better question, why should donations be allowed across state lines AT ALL? Parties are themselves political actors so why should they be given a pass to interfere with local elections or to support lobbyists (yep, really a thing).

Opposing an unfair advantage isn't the same as asking for an unfair advantage - you know it as well as the rest of us.

The weird thing? Your present position is the same as CP's usual position - you actually agree with each other on the major issue of unfair financing of special interests.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment