Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Logic of Universal Salvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Logic of Universal Salvation

I've posted this a few other places and offer by way of trying to coax honest, intelligent discussion that it has not to date been adequately refuted. I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks.

THE STORY
    Informed by God that He was going to Sodom to investigate and, if necessary, destroy the evil city, Abraham quickly struck up a conversation with his Creator. His nephew Lot and family lived there, and Abraham doubtless had concerns about his kin being destroyed with all others in the city. Thus he began his famous conversation with God on the road to Sodom in Gen 18 by Abraham's query in v. 23, “….’Wilt Thou indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?’”

Beginning here and running to the end of this chapter, God establishes not only an inviolable principle concerning the perfection of His justice, but the first of His twofold framework [death, resurrection] of the process of salvation so fundamentally and harmoniously woven into both testaments of the Bible it’s hard to see how its significance has been overlooked. This principle is elaborated in vv. 24-25, where Abraham asks: "Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt Thou indeed sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous who are in it? Far be it from Thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from Thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?"

The well known conversation then continues, ending with God’s promise to not destroy Sodom if even only a few righteous were found there.

THE ARUGMENT
    It seems reasonable to claim that one supervising attribute of God governs all His others: perfection. We may properly assert that God is just, loving, merciful, faithful, etc., but if He is imperfect in any of these, He is not God as we understand Him to have revealed Himself in Scripture. Abraham, it seems, recognized this truth when he exclaimed, “Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and wicked are treated alike….Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?” Abraham recognized that for God to destroy even an iota of good was an unthinkable offense, a wholly illogical and improper idea—a violation of His perfection. In the exchange, then, this spiritual rule is established:

God will not destroy a whole in which any good exists.

This principle sets the stage for understanding the allegorical structure God uses in Scripture for His plan of the salvation and restoration of all souls. God, the actual author of the Bible, structured His work in salvation in this “one and many” organization in multiple passages in both Testaments. The physical body is a single entity composed of an estimated 32 trillion cells functioning together as the whole person. God uses this reductive principle to convey in metaphor in Genesis 18 and throughout Scripture a division not of matter, but of value in essence or spirit. This “one and many” convention suggests what might be called "spiritual mechanics", i.e., the revelation of God's work within the value elements of individual souls.

Thoughts?

The bible clearly talks about hell, salvation, condemnation and judgment. If salvation was universal then none of that is needed or makes a lick of sense. Universal salvation is just wishful thinking.

Comment

The only thing universal about salvation is that Christ died to redeem all (1 John 2:2; Titus 2:11). So that everyone is placed in the book of life. And only those whose names are not removed (Revelation 3:5; 1 John 5:4, 5) will not perish (Revelation 20:15).
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Anomaly View Post
        The well known conversation then continues, ending with God’s promise to not destroy Sodom if even only a few righteous were found there.

He did find Lot and his family righteous, removed them from the city, and then destroyed them all that remained.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The bible clearly talks about hell, salvation, condemnation and judgment. If salvation was universal then none of that is needed or makes a lick of sense. Universal salvation is just wishful thinking.
          I've posted this a few other places and offer by way of trying to coax honest, intelligent discussion that it has not to date been adequately refuted. I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks.

Comment

The only thing universal about salvation is that Christ died to redeem all (1 John 2:2; Titus 2:11). So that everyone is placed in the book of life. And only those whose names are not removed (Revelation 3:5; 1 John 5:4, 5) will not perish (Revelation 20:15).
            I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              He did find Lot and his family righteous, removed them from the city, and then destroyed them all that remained.
              True. These points are various parts of the metaphor. Is there an argument forthcoming?

Comment

I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks.
                wow, aren't we condescending?

He gave you bible verses. That is pretty solid critique.

If all you can do is respond with " I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks. " Maybe it is you who is unable to provide rational defense of your position.

Do you deny that the bible clearly talks about judgment? That it makes a distinction between saved and condemned? If everyone is saved, why talk about those topics in the bible? Why did Jesus talk so much about hell if it isn't a real problem?

Comment

True. These points are various parts of the metaphor. Is there an argument forthcoming?
                  God punishes the wicked. He does not save them, nor does He punish His righteous with them. Therefore, universalism is bunk.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

[QUOTE=Sparko;460454]wow, aren't we condescending?

He gave you bible verses. That is pretty solid critique.
                    Quoting Bible verses to support a favored doctrine is not a legitimate response to a logical argument. The argument I posted uses Scripture--as do most discussions of theology--to support a logical claim. Most discussion on theology boards never satisfy tensions because all folks do is present their interpretation or doctrine as "proof" that the other guy's doctrine is false. This is obviously circular and serve no purpose....if it did, doctrinal tensions would be resolved and we could all turn out the lights, theologically speaking, and go home.

If all you can do is respond with " I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions. If all you're capable of contributing is an opinion or expression of contempt with no reasonable argument, please don't post. Thanks. " Maybe it is you who is unable to provide rational defense of your position.
                    Did you not read or understand this question in the op or the argument that followed it? It ultimately shows that both the Annihilationist and traditional eternal hell doctrines are logically incoherent as both violate the perfection of God's justice, and only the salvation of all is able to resolve the problem.

I specifically asked for reasonable, rational critiques; I don't think asking for this exceeds what is proper for theological discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      God punishes the wicked. He does not save them, nor does He punish His righteous with them. Therefore, universalism is bunk.
                      "Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (Jn 2:19)

Jesus destroys temples and rebuilds them in three days.

Do you see my point? I argue that the Gen 18 account is a metaphor woven into Scripture by God to preface a larger picture of salvation not found in a literal reading of Scripture. In order to understand how the allegorical modifies the context of the literal the metaphors that build the allegory have to be understood and either granted warrant for belief or sufficiently refuted to deny it. I agree that God punishes the wicked. Gen 18 identifies something bigger than this--God doesn't merely punish, He destroys Sodom and the Sodomites. He did not destroy the righteous with them. These facts are part of what comprises the metaphor.

To avoid confusion in case this thread goes anywhere, I use metaphor in two ways: 1) common or loose usage to indicate passages that are figurative language, and, 2), as distinct, unified parts of a larger, logical allegory or allegorical system. The second would be similar to linguistic structure, where words are parts of sentences (or sentences of paragraphs, etc.).

Comment

I'd like solid, rational critiques please, no "shoot and run" opinions.
                        That you don't like the responses you're getting does not in any way mean they're not solid, rational critiques.

Jesus came to seek and to save those who were lost, and declared "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (Jn 2:19)

Are you aware that you quoted Jesus as using temple - singular - then you morphed that into temples - plural?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Referring to the resurrection.

No. The Pharisees destroyed the temple (His body in context), and He raised what they unrighteously destroyed.

Do you see my point?
                            Yes. And your error.

I argue that the Gen 18 account is a metaphor woven into Scripture by God to preface a larger picture of salvation not found in a literal reading of Scripture.
                            Oh, it truly is. The righteous are saved and taken out of the wicked generation before it is destroyed.

In order to understand how the allegorical modifies the context of the literal the metaphors that build the allegory have to be understood and either granted warrant for belief or sufficiently refuted to deny it. I agree that God punishes the wicked. Gen 18 identifies something bigger than this--God doesn't merely punish, He destroys Sodom and the Sodomites. He did not destroy the righteous with them. These facts are part of what comprises the metaphor.
                            Correct. The wicked are destroyed and never heard from again. Their punishment is swift and final. Therefore, universalism is refuted.
                            Last edited by Bill the Cat; 07-18-2017, 02:07 PM.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Quoting Bible verses to support a favored doctrine is not a legitimate response to a logical argument. The argument I posted uses Scripture--as do most discussions of theology--to support a logical claim. Most discussion on theology boards never satisfy tensions because all folks do is present their interpretation or doctrine as "proof" that the other guy's doctrine is false. This is obviously circular and serve no purpose....if it did, doctrinal tensions would be resolved and we could all turn out the lights, theologically speaking, and go home
                              However in this case you were given verses that clearly and completely destroy your argument. If not explain why not.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X