Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ancient Jews more literate than previously thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Jews more literate than previously thought

To be kept in mind the next time someone drones on about the Bible being composed by "illiterate Bronze Age goat herders"

Source: New Evidence on When Bible Was Written: Ancient Shopping Lists

Eliashib, the quartermaster of the remote desert fortress, received his instructions in writing — notes inscribed in ink on pottery asking for provisions to be sent to forces in the ancient kingdom of Judah.

The requests for wine, flour and oil read like mundane, if ancient, shopping lists. But a new analysis of the handwriting suggests that literacy may have been far more widespread than previously known in the Holy Land around 600 B.C., toward the end of the First Temple period. The findings, according to the researchers from Tel Aviv University, could have some bearing on a century-old debate about when the main body of biblical texts was composed.

“To Eliashib: And now, give the Kittiyim 3 baths of wine, and write the name of the day,” read one of the texts, composed in ancient Hebrew using the Aramaic alphabet, and apparently referring to a Greek mercenary unit in the area.

Another said: “And a full homer of wine, bring tomorrow; don’t be late. And if there is vinegar, give it to them.”

The new study, published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, combined archaeology, Jewish history and applied mathematics, and involved computerized image processing and the development of an algorithm to distinguish between the various authors issuing the commands.

Based on a statistical analysis of the results, and taking into account the content of the texts that were chosen for the sample, the researchers concluded that at least six different hands had written the 18 missives at around the same time. Even soldiers in the lower ranks of the Judahite army, it appears, could read and write.

“There is something psychological beyond the statistics,” said Prof. Israel Finkelstein of the Department of Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Civilizations at Tel Aviv University, one of the leaders of the project. “There is an understanding of the power of literacy. And they wrote well, with hardly any mistakes.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I had long heard that the Jews were regarded as being among the most, if not the most, literate people in the Mediterranean region.

The abstract from the paper itself: Algorithmic handwriting analysis of Judah’s military correspondence sheds light on composition of biblical texts

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

According to the experts this finding could well push the dating of the earliest Biblical texts back at least 200 years from what is generally assumed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wonder what the story is around this particular one: "And a full homer of wine, bring tomorrow; don’t be late. And if there is vinegar, give it to them."
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        I wonder what the story is around this particular one: "And a full homer of wine, bring tomorrow; don’t be late. And if there is vinegar, give it to them."
        tumblr_mvtjrcQ6ds1somw7ho1_500.jpg

Comment

Another said: “And a full homer of wine, bring tomorrow; don’t be late. And if there is vinegar, give it to them.”

Obviously that was a shopping list from a wife. "don't forget the milk and bread on your way home"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Obviously that was a shopping list from a wife. "don't forget the milk and bread on your way home"
            The true story behind "ET phone home".
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              To be kept in mind the next time someone drones on about the Bible being composed by "illiterate Bronze Age goat herders"

I had long heard that the Jews were regarded as being among the most, if not the most, literate people in the Mediterranean region.

This is clearly an over statement, particularly concerning the origins of the Bible. The Evidence overwhelmingly indicate that the Egyptians, Babylonians, Ugarites, and Sumarians clearly have a longer history of literacy than the Hebrew tribes. Definitely NOT the most literate people of the Mediterranean.

Yes, the Bible was originally composed, edited and redacted, and added to 'after' the dates of this discovery.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

This is clearly an over statement, particularly concerning the origins of the Bible. The Evidence overwhelmingly indicate that the Egyptians, Babylonians, Ugarites, and Sumarians clearly have a longer history of literacy than the Hebrew tribes. Definitely NOT the most literate people of the Mediterranean.
                You're confusing two different concepts here. One is how long a society has had writing. The other is what portion of a particular society is literate. The second is what is in view here; you're arguing regarding the first.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yes, the Bible was originally composed, edited and redacted, and added to 'after' the dates of this discovery.
                  Having a longer history of being literate is not the same as being more literate. As this discovery verifies, literacy was not exclusively found among the most educated as it was in other societies. It appears to be much more widespread in ancient Israel (or Judah) as even low ranked soldiers in an isolated location were able to read and write

Comment

Having a longer history of being literate is not the same as being more literate. As this discovery verifies, literacy was not exclusively found among the most educated as it was in other societies. It appears to be much more widespread in ancient Israel (or Judah) as even low ranked soldiers in an isolated location were able to read and write
                    Your over emphasizing one find to justify an agenda. Many examples dating far older in the other cultures have found writing used in every day commerce, which directly translates to people working in commerce would be literate far older than any thing found ancient Judaism.

It is shear unrealistic speculation to justify more ancient Biblical scripture older than the present finds based on this find. Nothing has been found so far concerning Biblical text older than the silver scrolls.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-15-2016, 07:05 AM.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Your over emphasizing one find to justify an agenda. Many examples dating far older in the other cultures have found writing used in every day commerce, which directly translates to people working in commerce would be literate far older than any thing found ancient Judaism.

It is shear unrealistic speculation to justify more ancient Biblical scripture older than the present finds based on this find. Nothing has been found so far concerning Biblical text older than the silver scrolls.
                      Again you are confusing how long a people were literate with the percentage of the populace that is literate. By your reasoning England in the Middle Ages (with a literacy rate well under 10%) were more literate than the US is today (with a literacy rate over 90%).

We're not talking about something written by one person but by half a dozen different people among a small group including low ranking soldiers (historically speaking a group where high levels of reading and writing are not found) at an isolated fort (not a commerce or cultural center where higher levels of literacy would normally be found) that are remarkably free of errors.

Comment

Again you are confusing how long a people were literate with the percentage of the populace that is literate. By your reasoning England in the Middle Ages (with a literacy rate well under 10%) were more literate than the US is today (with a literacy rate over 90%).

We're not talking about something written by one person but by half a dozen different people among a small group including low ranking soldiers (historically speaking a group where high levels of reading and writing are not found) at an isolated fort (not a commerce or cultural center where higher levels of literacy would normally be found) that are remarkably free of errors.
                        No problem, you are still far over reaching your conclusions concerning the differences in the history of literacy of cultures with just one discovery. It is a matter of fact that writing existed throughout the commercial world over at least a thousand years before any known writing in the Hebrew pastoral tribes, and labels on containers and trade tablets would would require workers to be able to read them. If you have writing for over a thousand years as tool of communication you will have wide spread literacy for commercial purposes.

I have no problem with the ramifications of this discover among the Hebrews, but you are neglecting the prrior over a thousand years of writing in the other cultures surrounding the Hebrew pastoral tribes that only had rudimentary Canaanite and Ugarite writing if that prior to ~800-1000 BCE. Still is is unsubstantiated conjecture the Hebrew Torah writings prior to this time. The only evidence of Biblical writings prior to this perriod is Ugarite, Canaanite and pre-Babylonian cuneiform tablets.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-15-2016, 11:38 AM.

Frank

Comment

Finding this thread via a link from rogue06 I must agree. Where is the ancient Hebrew library of the seventh century BCE on a par with that Assurbanipal [668-627 BCE] one might ask?

In their contemporary world the ancient Israelites were a minor people of little importance. It is only from later history that their significance is given undue emphasis.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                            Finding this thread via a link from rogue06 I must agree. Where is the ancient Hebrew library of the seventh century BCE on a par with that Assurbanipal [668-627 BCE] one might ask?

In their contemporary world the ancient Israelites were a minor people of little importance. It is only from later history that their significance is given undue emphasis.
                            None which addresses whether or not a people as a whole were more literate than most others in the Mediterranean region. Not that this would be a high bar to try to exceed.

Overall, Scripture itself attests that it was expected for the average person to at the lest be semi-literate. For instance, in Deuteronomy 6, it says that when Moses led Israel out of Egypt, they were told to write the laws (mezuzot) upon their door posts, use tefilin, and learn and teach the Torah to their children.

Anywho... Here is the entire paper that I only could provide access to the abstract to back in the OP: Algorithmic handwriting analysis of Judah’s military correspondence sheds light on composition of biblical texts to which I can include some more current research Forensic document examination and algorithmic handwriting analysis of Judahite biblical period inscriptions reveal significant literacy level

Comment

None which addresses whether or not a people as a whole were more literate than most others in the Mediterranean region.
                              Most probably not.

The paper by Finkelstein et al is interesting but still speculative in its conclusions.

However, I am aware of the dangers of presuming ancient Israelite exceptionalism premised on much later views as well as the development of Judaic exclusivity.

In the seventh century BCE these were simply one group of peoples among many others, and within that contemporary context, not an overly important or significant one.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment