Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Frankly, my dear,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Hollywood tries to pretend it never happened. If you watch period pieces made today, they always will stick in black characters and make it seem like they were not treated like second class citizens. They want to deny the racism of the past in movies and TV shows, yet at the same time, blame white people today for what the world was actually like back then and expect them to feel guilty and admit how racist they are themselves.
    Either that or they'll go the other extreme and depict every white character as evil and hateful towards anybody with slightly darkened skin.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      How long before liberals demand that warning labels be put on the Bible?

Seriously, this whole idea that people have a right not to be "offended" by contrary opinions and ideas is just stupid and is creating a generation of overly sensitive ignoramuses who are wholly unprepared for life in the real world.

This all reminds me of the "Tom and Jerry Golden Collection" fiasco from several years ago. MGM's plan was to release all of the Tom and Jerry cartoon shorts, restored and in their original, uncensored presentation. Volume 1 was released in October 2011 with the following disclaimer "hardcoded" as the first thing you see when playing the disc:

"These animated shorts are products of their time. Some of them may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these animated shorts are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

I thought this was very tasteful and reasonable, and "Tom and Jerry" fans were delighted to finally have the cartoons as they were originally screened. Two-years later just before Volume 2 was released, MGM suddenly got cold feet for unknown reasons and cancelled the entire collection. I along with other fans of the celluloid cat and mouse are still greatly annoyed by this inexplicable about-face. I can only assume some "special interest" group put pressure on MGM and forced them to change their mind.
      The way they handled the first one was the best I've seen something like that handled pretty much ever. Sad to see them chicken out of releasing the remainder of the Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        The way they handled the first one was the best I've seen something like that handled pretty much ever. Sad to see them chicken out of releasing the remainder of the Tom and Jerry cartoons.
        reminds me of how the liberals want to claim Speedy Gonzales is racist stereotype, but the Mexicans love him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Gone with the Wind is an excellent movie. AFAIK it accurately depicts the mindset of the plantation owners towards their slaves and black house-staff during the Confederate era. What I’m questioning, given the current resurgence of the KKK and White Supremacists under Trump, is whether it is wise or sensitive to screen it in the Deep South at this time.
          Free speech does not require wisdom or sensitivity, as you and your ilk prove over and over. I do notice you ignored my question(s).
          Last edited by Jedidiah; 09-08-2017, 11:30 AM.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Warning labels will likely be attached to future copies of the book and movie.
            This movie is even worse than doorbells.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Have they banned Huckleberry Finn yet?

Comment

I think some schools actually have banned it. And at least one snowflake professor tried to "improve" the book by changing words that he felt were offensive.

Comment

obviously Mark Twain was a racist if he used the N-word in his books and wrote about slavery. We need to remove all traces of him from modern society. Any book by him, any reference to him, any statues of him, photos of him -- all need to be destroyed immediately.

Comment

How long before liberals demand that warning labels be put on the Bible?

Seriously, this whole idea that people have a right not to be "offended" by contrary opinions and ideas is just stupid and is creating a generation of overly sensitive ignoramuses who are wholly unprepared for life in the real world.

This all reminds me of the "Tom and Jerry Golden Collection" fiasco from several years ago. MGM's plan was to release all of the Tom and Jerry cartoon shorts, restored and in their original, uncensored presentation. Volume 1 was released in October 2011 with the following disclaimer "hardcoded" as the first thing you see when playing the disc:

"These animated shorts are products of their time. Some of them may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these animated shorts are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

I thought this was very tasteful and reasonable, and "Tom and Jerry" fans were delighted to finally have the cartoons as they were originally screened. Two-years later just before Volume 2 was released, MGM suddenly got cold feet for unknown reasons and cancelled the entire collection. I along with other fans of the celluloid cat and mouse are still greatly annoyed by this inexplicable about-face. I can only assume some "special interest" group put pressure on MGM and forced them to change their mind.
                    A couple years back Amazon started sticking warning labels on Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Back when I was in college I had a Sociology professor who was African-American and was pretty much constantly railing against the racism inherent in the American system. I quickly figured out how I could get an easy A in his class. For the rest of the semester after I got home I would go sit on the couch, grab a couple beers and turn on Channel 17 (which later became Turner Broadcasting System -- TBS) where Tom and Jerry ran from 3 to 4 PM.

I would carefully chronicle every single instance of when a firecracker blew up in Tom's face resulting in him having a blackened face, enlarged lips and kinky hair (occasionally the tune "Mama's Little Baby Loves Shortnin Bread" would play at this time).

Likewise I would dutifully note every appearance of the heavy-set maid, "Mammy Two Shoes," with her stereotypical black accent (which was often edited out in later television showings and replaced with a slim white woman). Then I I wrote up a quicky paper on racial stereotypes in children's programming and as I said I got an easy A.

All of this fuss reminds me of when Cartoon Network stopped broadcasting Speedy Gonzales cartoons in the late 90s after it gained the exclusive rights to broadcasts them because they were deemed to be a racial stereotype. Ironically in Latin America during this same time Speedy was regarded as being a cultural icon and was the favorite cartoon character there. Protests in this country which were primarily orchestrated by Hispanics (including LULAC --the League of United Latin American Citizens -- the US’ oldest Hispanic American rights group which declared he was a "cultural icon") led to Speedy being brought back onto TV here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Multiple times. Especially in schools.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Mammy Two Shoes," with her stereotypical black accent (which was often edited out in later television showings and replaced with a slim white woman)
                        Wait, they replaced a black woman with a white woman? Isn't that White-Washing and Racial Appropriation? Where's the outrage?

Comment

Likewise I would dutifully note every appearance of the heavy-set maid, "Mammy Two Shoes," with her stereotypical black accent (which was often edited out in later television showings and replaced with a slim white woman).
                          Oddly enough, they only edited the animation, so you had a slim, white woman with the voice of a stereotypical black woman. In one of the shorts which depicted Mammy playing cards, the scene was redrawn so that her white alter ego was dancing instead.

On a related note, does it make me a racist to say that Mammy Two Shoes is my second favorite character in the shorts after Tom?

Comment

Wait, they replaced a black woman with a white woman? Isn't that White-Washing and Racial Appropriation? Where's the outrage?
                            You expect liberals to be consistent?

Someone mentioned Disney's Song of the South earlier. Curiously, that film represents possibly the only modern preservation of African-American folklore since the book the movie is based on, and the stories that the book is based on, are all but forgotten today. In fact, some of the black actors who appeared in the film fought for years to see the movie restored because of its historical and cultural value.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

You expect liberals to be consistent?

Someone mentioned Disney's Song of the South earlier. Curiously, that film represents possibly the only modern preservation of African-American folklore since the book the movie is based on, and the stories that the book is based on, are all but forgotten today. In fact, some of the black actors who appeared in the film fought for years to see the movie restored because of its historical and cultural value.
                              Somewhere around here I have a copy of Song of the South where, in the portion you followed the bouncing ball to sing along, were Japanese characters while the rest of the film was in English.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Where is you evidence of a resurgence of the KKK and White Supremacists? That there are more today than let's say from a few years ago?
                                White nationalist leader David Duke thanked President Trump for blaming violence in Charlottesville, Va., on the "alt-left." Duke thanked Trump for his "honesty & courage" in a tweet.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment