Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

its not a question of if....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its not a question of if....

Is there any topic so full of land mines as the presidential pardon?

Clinton used his final hours in office to pardon some pretty sketchy characters, Obama apparently pardoned thousands (I think the number was 1700). Team Trump has provided pardons to those with some pretty good elitist connections, Kin Kardashian has influence in the White House! Joe Aripaio didn't even need to apply to have his sentence commuted.

Roger Stone: innocent lamb sent to slaughter by the deep state operatives, or the amoral ruthless political operative?

Do you think Stone will spend any time in prison?

Should presidential pardons or commutations be tied to elitist influence?

And yes, I did neglect to dive into google for the precise definitions on commutation and pardon, I see both as the equivalent of a "get out of jail, free" card.

Originally posted by simplico
    its not a question of if....
    I think you're missing the latter part of this sentence.

Roger Stone: innocent lamb sent to slaughter by the deep state operatives, or the amoral ruthless political operative?
    False dichotomy.

Yes.

It is a privilege of the President of the United States, he may use it or abuse it as he see fit. It's up the American public to vote for candidates who'll use the privilege in their interest.

Comment

While it may be a false dichotomy, I specifically chose that wording for a reason: Most stories approach it from one of those two viewpoints. And curiously, most of the ones who did not adhere to one of the two positions were MSM sources.

I believe public opinion has a place, that the only remedy is waiting for the election to vote out the offender.

The president has the bully pulpit, the public has a counter, the weight of public opinion. And I think the church has a role in marshaling opinion, as well as forming opinion. Given the historical precedence of various Christian reactions to the pardoning process, then we have a responsibility to demonstrate a principled response.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        The president has the bully pulpit, the public has a counter, the weight of public opinion. And I think the church has a role in marshaling opinion, as well as forming opinion. Given the historical precedence of various Christian reactions to the pardoning process, then we have a responsibility to demonstrate a principled response.
        This part seems to belong in another thread, did you do a copy-paste error?

Comment

Is there any topic so full of land mines as the presidential pardon?

Clinton used his final hours in office to pardon some pretty sketchy characters, Obama apparently pardoned thousands (I think the number was 1700). Team Trump has provided pardons to those with some pretty good elitist connections, Kin Kardashian has influence in the White House! Joe Aripaio didn't even need to apply to have his sentence commuted.

And yes, I did neglect to dive into google for the precise definitions on commutation and pardon, I see both as the equivalent of a "get out of jail, free" card.
          The President is simply pardoning people who are either paying him off or people who are connected to his corruption. That is not what the power of pardon was established for. Trump is simply using/abusing the power for his own political interests, not for mercy or the good of the country.
          Last edited by JimL; 02-23-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Trump pardoned his 'buddies'
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Trump pardoned his 'buddies'
              As did George W Bush (see Scooter Libby). And Clinton pardoned his brother (who proceeded to go out and get a DUI) and a fugitive financier immediately after wife gave millions to the Democrats, Hillary and the Clinton Library (see Marc Rich).

In fact as long as I've been alive (going back to the Eisenhower Administration) every president has had controversial pardons.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                In fact as long as I've been alive (going back to the Eisenhower Administration) every president has had controversial pardons.
                Well, yeah, but- but Trump!
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Well, yeah, but- but Trump!
                  So you are cool with a class of people who have special influence in the oval office, a power elite? Kim Kardashian did not spring to importance based on ability.

Comment

So you are cool with a class of people who have special influence in the oval office, a power elite? Kim Kardashian did not spring to importance based on ability.
                    Mountain Man neither said or implied anything like that. He's just pointing at the hypocricy of specifically targetting Trump on this.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      As did George W Bush (see Scooter Libby). And Clinton pardoned his brother (who proceeded to go out and get a DUI) and a fugitive financier immediately after wife gave millions to the Democrats, Hillary and the Clinton Library (see Marc Rich).

Trump pardoned Scooter Libby, not Bush, and Clinton pardoned his brother only after his brother had already served his entire sentence. And no, none of the past presidents compare to what Trump is doing with respect to pardons. Trump is simply pardoning and or interfering in the cases, via the corrupt Atty Gen., in which the convicted are either paying Trump off or in cases where the perps are either close criminal friends of Trump, or are directly related to Trumps own criminal behavior.
                      Last edited by JimL; 02-23-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Mountain Man neither said or implied anything like that. He's just pointing at the hypocricy of specifically targetting Trump on this.
                        MM is comparing apples to orange man. Trump is pardoning or interfering in the cases of his close political allies, connected to his own crimes, or those willing to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars for the pardon.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Trump pardoned Scooter Libby, not Bush, and Clinton pardoned his brother only after his brother had already served his entire sentence. And no, none of the past presidents compare to what Trump is doing with respect to pardons. Trump is simply pardoning and or interfering in the cases, via the corrupt Atty Gen., in which the convicted are either paying Trump off or in cases where the perps are either close criminal friends of Trump, or are directly related to Trumps own criminal behavior.
                          Here is the complete official list of pardons granted by Bad Orange Man. Please assign each name on the list to one of the categories in your assertion, and explain.

Personally, I tend to agree with Dinesh D'Souza's opinion: dinesh_on_pardons.jpg
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Then how does the effectiveness of Kim Kardashian in lobbying the administration square with what MM has posted about power elites?

Yes, he was pointing out the hypocrisy of targeting Trump, by pointing out the hypocrisy of his own views. It is not an idle coincidence that the Christian groups involved in prison ministries have little clout and access to the Oval Office.

Comment