Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stephen Miller promoting white nationalism to Breitbart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    You mean the likes of:

White Aryan Resistance
    Church of the Creator
    Christian Knights of the KKK
    Aryan Nations
    Ranch Rescue
    Billy Ray Johnson
    Imperial Klans of America

- cited Wiki

Yes, they're a bit of a "joke", right?
    This is a nonsense argument. Nobody has argued that no group on their "hate group" list is a hate group. They are saying that the SPLC has, in addition to listing actual hate groups, listed a bunch of groups that shouldn't qualify, thereby making their list suspect and not particularly useful.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      So, all this time I thought you wanted a discussion. Silly me.
      I wanted to find out how deep the derangement is going, whether it is merely Trump-focused. You made it clear that you're a conservative that trusts the SPLC, and so the mocking begins.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        I wanted to find out how deep the derangement is going, whether it is merely Trump-focused. You made it clear that you're a conservative that trusts the SPLC, and so the mocking begins.
        It goes deep, too deep. Including yourself, approximately 35 to 40 percent of the population is infected by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          This is a nonsense argument. Nobody has argued that no group on their "hate group" list is a hate group. They are saying that the SPLC has, in addition to listing actual hate groups, listed a bunch of groups that shouldn't qualify, thereby making their list suspect and not particularly useful.
          What does any of that have to do with the material itself that Miller was allegedly distributing/sharing, or whatever?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Eh, I wouldn't expect a white racist/supremacist to fire a white racist/supremacist anyway. The whole administration is rotton, and Trump is its head. The fish rots from the head down, as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Eh, I wouldn't expect a white racist/supremacist to fire a white racist/supremacist anyway. The whole administration is rotton, and Trump is its head. The fish rots from the head down, as they say.
              The source is a discredited agency with a long history of its own racism. Seriously, is your standard of evidence 'looks bad for Trump, must be true'?

FYI, a fish's head is the very last part to rot. Grew up on a lake so yeah, I'm sure. Doesn't prove anything since it was just an analogy - just struck me as silly.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I am sorry that you seem to be unable to follow my thought processes.
                See below.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                "X is white nationalist because he cites articles from a white nationalist site" seems to be a rather cut and dried example of the genetic fallacy, emotive arguments to the contrary notwithstanding.
                In the way it is used in this context that is actually not an example of the genetic fallacy. Try again.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  I wanted to find out how deep the derangement is going, whether it is merely Trump-focused.
                  The only Trump "derangement" is that which infects the minority that support him. Trump’s consistently low poll numbers prove character counts as far as the majority is concerned.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    The only Trump "derangement" is that which infects the minority that support him. Trump’s consistently low poll numbers prove character counts as far as the majority is concerned.
                    After over 3 years of the MSM incessantly claiming Trump is a traitor who cheated his way to the presidency it really is surprising that his approval numbers are consistently more than double what Congress' are.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

See below.

In the way it is used in this context that is actually not an example of the genetic fallacy. Try again.
                      Is, too.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        So, Stephen Miller isn't someone that is even worthy of serious discussion?
                        While some may argue not since after his release of "Abracadabra" I personally think he peaked at "Book of Dreams"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Nope. Sorry.

Saying "X is white nationalist because he cites articles from a white nationalist site" does not fit the description on the source you provided: "Description: Basing the truth claim of an argument on the origin of its claims or premises."

You can agree or disagree on whether what Stephen Miller seems to have done shows he is a white nationalist. But in this context it was not used as a way of saying "his points are not true, because he is" or "this source is crap and thus..." Other posters have made the genetic fallacy (OBP is one of them) in this thread and you have not pointed that out. And then you wrongly claim a statement that was not a genetic fallacy was one.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Michael Gerson shares his perspective:

n response to the massacre of nine black churchgoers by a white nationalist in 2015, Miller was offended that Amazon removed merchandise featuring the Confederate flag and was concerned about the vandalization of Confederate monuments. Miller encouraged attention at Breitbart to a “white genocide”-themed novel, featuring sexualized violence by refugees. He focused on crime and terrorism by nonwhites as the basis for draconian immigration restrictions. He complained about the “ridiculous statue of liberty myth” and mocked the “national religion” of “diversity.” He recommended and forwarded stories from a range of alt-right sources.
                            All this is evidence of a man marinated in prejudice. In most presidential administrations, a person with such opinions would be shown the White House exit. But most of Miller’s views — tenderness for the Confederacy, the exaggerated fear of interracial crime, the targeting of refugees for calumny and contempt — have been embraced publicly by the president. Trump could not fire his alt-right alter ego without indicting himself. Miller is safe in the shelter of his boss’s bigotry.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...39d_story.html

Comment

Michael Gerson shares his perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...39d_story.html
                              When you don't have the facts on your side I guess you're stuck sharing opinions and perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                The source is a discredited agency with a long history of its own racism. Seriously, is your standard of evidence 'looks bad for Trump, must be true'?

FYI, a fish's head is the very last part to rot. Grew up on a lake so yeah, I'm sure. Doesn't prove anything since it was just an analogy - just struck me as silly.
                                Are you suggesting that the shared Miller e-mails in question don't exist?

Comment