Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Levittown housing developments -example of wide spread post war racism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levittown housing developments -example of wide spread post war racism.

After World War II there were many benefits and assistance open to military veterans such as housing and education. What is not well known is the black veterans were widely excluded and discriminated against ever receiving much of these benefits.

The huge Levittown housing development established seven huge housing development cities in the Eastern United States that openly excluded blacks and for that matter ALL racial minoroties from purchasing or renting in these cities.

The over all consequence of this post war radical discrimination was to exclude blacks from the advantages and benefits of the Boom and growth all the way into recent years.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levittown

Levittown is the name of seven large suburban housing developments created in the United States of America by William Levitt and his company Levitt & Sons. Built after World War II for returning veterans and their new families—but Federal Housing Administration (FHA) lenders limited residents to "the Caucasian race", as stipulated in housing rent and sales agreements[1]—the communities offered attractive alternatives to cramped central city locations and apartments. The Veterans Administration and the FHA guaranteed builders that qualified veterans could buy housing for a fraction of rental costs. Production was modeled on assembly lines, which enabled quick and economical production of similar or identical homes with rapid recovery of costs. Standard Levittown houses included a white picket fence, green lawns, and modern appliances.

Sales in the original Levittown began in March 1947. 1,400 homes were purchased during the first three hours.

Places

Levittown, New York - the first Levittown (1947–1951)
    Levittown, Pennsylvania - the second Levittown (1952–1958)
    Willingboro Township, New Jersey - originally and colloquially known as Levittown (started 1958)
    Levittown, Puerto Rico (1963)
    Bowie, Maryland (1964)
    Crofton, Maryland (1970)
    Largo, Maryland (1963)

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

What do you mean, not known? Seriously? Many former servicemen actually immigrated to Europe because of the discrimination they faced in the US.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      What do you mean, not known? Seriously? Many former servicemen actually immigrated to Europe because of the discrimination they faced in the US.
      Yes, many unfortunately did, but it is not known today who do not recognize that this is just one part of one chapter in the history of white privilege that dominates the United States. This lead to the unequal segregation in post war USA and black ghettos, and worse.

See carpedm9587 thread:
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...t-of-Privilege
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-05-2018, 08:13 PM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Btw how is that privilege, in any sense of the word?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Btw how is that privilege, in any sense of the word?
          It is white privilege, and ah . . . cultural domination, in any sense of the word in the USA you wish to consider it.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            It is white privilege, and ah . . . cultural domination, in any sense of the word in the USA you wish to consider it.
            you are merely repeating the claim that it is privilege. I'm asking how is this privilege? Or cultural domination for that matter? Sounds like you're just pulling words out of thin air with no idea as to how they're actually supposed to be used. Hint: a reward for service is not "privilege" in any sense of the word, even if it is not awarded equally.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

you are merely repeating the claim that it is privilege. I'm asking how is this privilege? Or cultural domination for that matter? Sounds like you're just pulling words out of thin air with no idea as to how they're actually supposed to be used. Hint: a reward for service is not "privilege" in any sense of the word, even if it is not awarded equally.
              Blacks were excluded and discriminated against for most post war HUD housing. White privilege was the access to HUD housing benefits not available to black veterans. If you are capable of reading the opening post this should be clear to you, This actually goes further concerning other post war benefits for education, and farm loans, but this thread is devoted the facts of excluding black veterans from most affordable post war housing by HUD up until the 1970s.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM.

Frank

Comment

Blacks were excluded and discriminated against for most post war HUD housing. White privilege was the access to HUD housing benefits not available to black veterans. If you are capable of reading the opening post this should be clear to you, This actually goes further concerning other post war benefits for education, and farm loans, but this thread is devoted the facts of excluding black veterans from most affordable post war housing by HUD up until the 1970s.
                You are the one not capable of reading, or even using words properly. The fact that HUD housing benefits were not available to blacks in no way makes the housing benefits a "privilege" since they are an EARNED REWARD, the exact opposite of privilege. Same with education, farm loans, etc. You are using the buzzword "privilage" while having no idea what it means. Do you understand what I am saying or is the 3+ SD gap between our IQs truly impossible to bridge?

Comment

Yes, many unfortunately did, but it is not known today who do not recognize that this is just one part of one chapter in the history of white privilege that dominates the United States. This lead to the unequal segregation in post war USA and black ghettos, and worse.

See carpedm9587 thread:
                  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...t-of-Privilege
                  I'm still working on how this is news to anyone. Seriously, history class, documentaries - how the heck could you NOT already know about this?

Also, DE's right - it's not about privilege - it's a case of discrimination, pure and simple. Not giving people fair treatment and not giving them things they earned is rightfully condemned where the color of your skin at birth should never be.

Or is this another of 'discrimination only really happened in the South' things?
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm still working on how this is news to anyone. Seriously, history class, documentaries - how the heck could you NOT already know about this?
                    It's news to me. Not being a USan, it wasn't covered in my history classes, or in documentaries I've seen.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You are the one not capable of reading, or even using words properly. The fact that HUD housing benefits were not available to blacks in no way makes the housing benefits a "privilege" since they are an EARNED REWARD, the exact opposite of privilege. Same with education, farm loans, etc. You are using the buzzword "privilage" while having no idea what it means. Do you understand what I am saying or is the 3+ SD gap between our IQs truly impossible to bridge?
                      Earned reward? The criteria for earning the reward was being a white veteran. If you are a black veteran you do not earn the reward, This is classic white privilege.

Are you actually say that being eligible to be house is an earned reward for being white?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        It's news to me. Not being a USan, it wasn't covered in my history classes, or in documentaries I've seen.
                        Okay, so furriners don't study US history as much. Weird.

But seriously, Shuny should already have known about this - it's a part of the Civil Rights history (yeah, yeah, I know, everyone thinks that Civil rights Movement began in the Sixties - it really has it's foundations in the Twenties - some earlier). It's like not knowing about Billie Holiday or sit ins (guess what else didn't start in the Sixties) - you can't claim even a casual familiarity with race issues in the US without a solid grounding in its history - at least not and have any legitimacy to the claim.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Earned reward? The criteria for earning the reward was being a white veteran. If you are a black veteran you do not earn the reward, This is classic white privilege.

Are you actually say that being eligible to be house is an earned reward for being white?
                          For once, man up and admit you messed up. He's talking about veterans having earned veterans benefits and you know it. Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

For once, man up and admit you messed up. He's talking about veterans having earned veterans benefits and you know it. Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.
                            Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

It is clear and specific blacks are denied access to HUD housing based on race.

Frank

Comment

Stop weaseling - this one's making you look like a sleazeball - and very much like a racist. Rethink it.

It is clear and specific blacks are denied access to HUD housing based on race.
                              While one poster insists that the phenomenon is well known, other posters seem to disagree with the premise of the OP.

Redlining by creditors, the USDA and farm loans and even extension work, the VA, etc. were not covered in school curricula years ago. A decade ago, there was a series of studies on the effects of unequal levels of access to all levels of support for ownership of farmland for blacks. The pervasive and institutionalized racial inequalities over many decades stripped blacks of farm ownership. It took many by surprised, because the farm programs were seen as being above such things, even in the south. So I do not think it is well known and recognized as part of our history.

A generation ago the phenomenon was referred to as racial inequality, "white privilege" has come into common usage more recently. But privilege is the flip side of the inequality problem, in the US the advantage from being white only can be seen with respect to the problems of racial inequality posing a disadvantage for blacks.

We like to think of segregation as a southern problem, but it was also imposed (with approval from many segments of society) in most of the US. It was propagated through active policies and passively acquiescing to the status quo, those who agitated for change were largely impotent to affect change.

Comment