Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Baha'i Faith - Relationship between the mind and the soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baha'i Faith - Relationship between the mind and the soul

In the Baha'i Faith the soul (human spirit) is distinctly separate from the mind. The mind is the product of the brain, and the spirit is the light of the lamp.

Source: http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/abdul-baha/some-answered-questions/#f=f10-680

The human spirit, which distinguishes man from the animal, is the rational soul, and these two terms—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one and the same thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is called the rational soul, encompasses all things and as far as human capacity permits, discovers their realities and becomes aware of the properties and effects, the characteristics and conditions of earthly things. But the human spirit, unless it be assisted by the spirit of faith, cannot become acquainted with the divine mysteries and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, bright, and polished, is still in need of light. Not until a sunbeam falls upon it can it discover the divine mysteries.

As for the mind, it is the power of the human spirit. The spirit is as the lamp, and the mind as the light that shines from it. The spirit is as the tree, and the mind as the fruit. The mind is the perfection of the spirit and a necessary attribute thereof, even as the rays of the sun are an essential requirement of the sun itself.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    In the Baha'i Faith the soul (human spirit) is distinctly separate from the mind. The mind is the product of the brain, and the spirit is the light of the lamp.

Source: http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/abdul-baha/some-answered-questions/#f=f10-680

The human spirit, which distinguishes man from the animal, is the rational soul, and these two terms—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one and the same thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is called the rational soul, encompasses all things and as far as human capacity permits, discovers their realities and becomes aware of the properties and effects, the characteristics and conditions of earthly things. But the human spirit, unless it be assisted by the spirit of faith, cannot become acquainted with the divine mysteries and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, bright, and polished, is still in need of light. Not until a sunbeam falls upon it can it discover the divine mysteries.

As for the mind, it is the power of the human spirit. The spirit is as the lamp, and the mind as the light that shines from it. The spirit is as the tree, and the mind as the fruit. The mind is the perfection of the spirit and a necessary attribute thereof, even as the rays of the sun are an essential requirement of the sun itself.

But the the soul and mind do interact with each other - correct? So the immaterial has an effect on the material.
    Last edited by seer; 08-01-2016, 08:26 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      But the the soul and mind do interact with each other - correct? So the immaterial has an effect on the material.
      Yes, the mind is like a window to the soul. As for the mind, it is the power of the human spirit. The spirit is as the lamp, and the mind as the light that shines from it.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Is spirit of reason and spirit of faith different or same?

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
          Is spirit of reason and spirit of faith different or same?
          Unsure of the interpretation here, but reason and faith are likely attributes of the soul. The spirit is equivalent to the soul and the soul is distinct and separate from the mind.

Source: http://bahai-library.com/mihrshahi_ether_quantum_physics

The soul, according to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, is completely immaterial and therefore free from all physical limitations and independent of time and space[25]. It interacts with the brain through a medium called "common faculty" (Some Answered Questions 210). This faculty, which seems to be identical with or at least related to the human mind, is a partly spiritual ("pre-existent") and partly physical ("contingent") entity that "is connected with the brain" (242) and controls the functioning of the human body:
          The mind force—whether we call it pre-existent or contingent—doth direct and co-ordinate all the members of the human body, seeing to it that each part or member duly performeth its own special function (Selections 48).

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Unsure of the interpretation here, but reason and faith are likely attributes of the soul. The spirit is equivalent to the soul and the soul is distinct and separate from the mind.

Source: http://bahai-library.com/mihrshahi_ether_quantum_physics

The soul, according to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, is completely immaterial and therefore free from all physical limitations and independent of time and space[25]. It interacts with the brain through a medium called "common faculty" (Some Answered Questions 210). This faculty, which seems to be identical with or at least related to the human mind, is a partly spiritual ("pre-existent") and partly physical ("contingent") entity that "is connected with the brain" (242) and controls the functioning of the human body:
            The mind force—whether we call it pre-existent or contingent—doth direct and co-ordinate all the members of the human body, seeing to it that each part or member duly performeth its own special function (Selections 48).

so there is a soul and a mind-force? Is the soul singular (one/collective) or a plural (many/individual) ?

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
              so there is a soul and a mind-force? Is the soul singular (one/collective) or a plural (many/individual) ?
              Each individual has a soul, singular. Mind-force equivalent to the mind.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X