Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MSNBC Guest Advises: 'Destroy' Most Whites Over Their Supporting Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    It was very clear to me that he was referring to beating white Trump supporters at the polls, and through protest, and the fact that the host did clarify what he was saying, and he was quick to agree should be all that's needed.
    The host 'deleted' his reference to protests. That was part of his rant.

If Trump were to say something similar about immigrants, and a host clarified that he was speaking of illegal immigrants, and he quickly agreed with that host, people here would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. I don't see any reason not to also give this guy a benefit of the doubt. The main real thing I thought was wonky about his diatribe was his whole "the majority of white people in this country are not a majority of the country," which is simply factually inaccurate. Whites make up something like 72% of the population, and if we're talking white non-Hispanic/Latinos then it's still around 61%.
    He was on an angry rant - that often results in dumb mistakes.

Edit: To clarify, the guy may be a racist (I don't know), but I'm specifically pointing out that I don't believe he was referring to physical violence when he referred to "beating" white people at the polls and through protest.
    Sure, but with all this hysteria about "sending messages", and people doing mass killings because of things Trump says, this guy needs to reign in his anger a bit.

Edit: To clarify, Trump can really be a total ass and I'm not defending him in any way, shape or form.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I think he can be reasonably interpreted to mean "beat/destroy them at the polls," and I think we should be charitable if possible.
      I really don't think he was signalling anybody to go out to protests (that was part of his schpiel) and literally beat people. But you can't have it both ways - when Trump says something really stupid, that's a dog whistle for white supremacists to go on a killing spree, so EVERYBODY needs to tone down the rhetoric, including this guy.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That would be racist if Trump had said it.
        It would definitely be branded as racist if a white person said that about blacks

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Did you actually read the article? He is talking about white people all through his tirade! How in the world can you say he's not talking about white people?

And I am not sure he's only speaking about beating people st the polls. And if I'm not sure, you can bet that people of colour will also take it to have a physical meaning.

How can you not decry this man's words as anything but racist?
          Your asking of this of someone who repeatedly claims that the Mueller Report declares Trump colluded with the Russians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

seer, I've seen this "what if" with a number of your posts, and I find it a bit disconcerting. I understand your desire for fairness, it's something I desire as well, but you seem to go one step further by implying that if the other side does something wrong, then it's only fair for your side to do so as well. It may be the case that most or all people would take the phrase "beat black people at the polls," in the absolute worst light possible, but that doesn't mean, then, that it's right to take "beat white people at the polls" in the worst possible light. The worst light possible in this context is that the guy is a racist, but not that he's espousing actual physical violence.
            No, I don't think it is fair for my side to do it but I'm tried of the hypocrisy of the left who think that they are our betters, while prompting the virtues of tolerance and diversity that they NEVER follow.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I really don't think he was signalling anybody to go out to protests (that was part of his schpiel) and literally beat people.
              Unless they're wearing MAGA hats, of course.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Your asking of this of someone who repeatedly claims that the Mueller Report declares Trump colluded with the Russians.
                I know.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Trump has never specifically told anyone to commit violence, yet the left continues to act like he has.
                  You don't remember as a candidate when he promised to pay bail for supporters who roughed up protestors?
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The host 'deleted' his reference to protests. That was part of his rant.

He was on an angry rant - that often results in dumb mistakes.

Sure, but with all this hysteria about "sending messages", and people doing mass killings because of things Trump says, this guy needs to reign in his anger a bit.

Edit: To clarify, Trump can really be a total ass and I'm not defending him in any way, shape or form.
                    I watched the video. I sincerely think you're all seeing this in a MUCH worse light than it is. He wasn't referring to physically beating people.

Comment

I watched the video. I sincerely think you're all seeing this in a MUCH worse light than it is. He wasn't referring to physically beating people.
                      How bout backing off just a bit and showing some charity yourself?

I really don't think he was signalling anybody to go out to protests (that was part of his schpiel) and literally beat people.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        You don't remember as a candidate when he promised to pay bail for supporters who roughed up protestors?
                        That was bird-brained stupid and I condemned it at the time.

Comment

That was bird-brained stupid and I condemned it at the time.
                          I was responding to the specific claim that he had never promoted/condoned violence.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I was responding to the specific claim that he had never promoted/condoned violence.
                            Sure, so do you think he was actually serious, that he actually WOULD pay the expenses of anybody who committed the violence? Or do you think he was just being an ass?

Comment

I agree. He wasn't talking about physical violence -- but he was being racist against whites.

And he has a ridiculous hairdo. Does that make me racist?

Comment

Sure, so do you think he was actually serious, that he actually WOULD pay the expenses of anybody who committed the violence? Or do you think he was just being an ass?
                                I don't see any reason not to take him at his word, because there was one incident a little later where he publicly said that he wanted to do it when one of his supporters sucker punched someone), but ended up not following through (probably one of his aides talked him out of it... and because he repeated the statement at least twice, using the word "promise".

If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, OK? Just knock the hell ... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise, I promise,
                                "Get him out. Try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court. Don't worry about it.
                                Also, his instructions to police when arresting gang suspects:

"When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just seen them thrown in, rough. I said, 'Please don’t be too nice,' When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head you know, the way you put their hand over [their head]," Trump continued, mimicking the motion. "Like, 'Don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody, don’t hit their head.' I said, 'You can take the hand away, OK?'
                                Sorry, the claim that Trump has never called for violence is false.
                                Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment