Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ancient Humans Bred with Completely Unknown Species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Demons are portrayed as disembodied spirits -- not angels.
    Exactly. If an angel becomes demonic, they become disembodied, i.e. separated from or existing without a body. The Bible does not declare the angels of Genesis 6 demonic. They were punished after the fact.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      J.P. makes a good case for angels (dimensional beings) in Genesis 6. Of course he is not the only one. We know nothing of the physical makeup of these beings so how would it be considered preposterous? The Bible states in many passages about angels having physical manifestations: Acts 12:5-12, Genesis 19:1-7, Genesis 19:10-13.

So if they can touch you, eat with you etc. then yes, they can possibly manifest compatible sexual organs and sperm. I don't see how if angels (again dimensional beings) are real, any of this would be preposterous.
      Preposterous in the scientific sense. Biologists have no methodology to test for what you described.

I'd argue it's also preposterous in theological sense. It entails the belief that God unleashed horny inter-dimensional beings that can reproduce with human women. That doesn't happen by accident.

Comment

Who says it had to be done via sexual reproduction. Technology doesn't evolve in the supernatural realm like it does in the human realm.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          It's realistic that we bred with other species. We have a propensity to multiply.

It's preposterous to think that species was the legend that Genesis describes. Angels are spirit. How would they have compatible reproductive apparatus with human beings?
          The genesis account says "sons of God". Lots of free-play with that term. Angels is only likely.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Who says it had to be done via sexual reproduction. Technology doesn't evolve in the supernatural realm like it does in the human realm.
            Our sexual apparatus isn't "technology," for one. Second, the daughters were physical not metaphysical. They had primate wombs made of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              The genesis account says "sons of God". Lots of free-play with that term. Angels is only likely.
              Lots of free play, indeed.

Comment

Ancient Humans Bred with Completely Unknown Species
                Well that explains Rogue06!

Comment

Our sexual apparatus isn't "technology," for one. Second, the daughters were physical not metaphysical. They had primate wombs made of meat.
                  I'm saying that if man today knows how to genetically manipulate the reproductive system of a female mammal, allowing for parthenogenesis, the sons of God could presumably do the same. Or who knows what technology they knew that we may not even know today.

Comment

Preposterous in the scientific sense. Biologists have no methodology to test for what you described.

I'd argue it's also preposterous in theological sense. It entails the belief that God unleashed horny inter-dimensional beings that can reproduce with human women. That doesn't happen by accident.
                    Of course biologists have no methodology. You would need to study an angels biology to come up with any conclusions. You will just have to wait until they capture one . No it entails that God created beings that can manifest themselves physically. Since the Bible teaches that, I don't see the problem.
                    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Of course biologists have no methodology. You would need to study an angels biology to come up with any conclusions. You will just have to wait until they capture one . No it entails that God created beings that can manifest themselves physically. Since the Bible teaches that, I don't see the problem.
                      Granted, the bible teaches that enfleshment is a doddle for spirits. Anything's easy when you're a spirit, apparently. =P

It's kind of hokey, though. The sacredness of divine creation is diminished if any spirit can change from genderless spirit into the form of a male higher primate. That's godlike.

Can they become scorpions and squirrels, as well?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        I'm saying that if man today knows how to genetically manipulate the reproductive system of a female mammal, allowing for parthenogenesis, the sons of God could presumably do the same. Or who knows what technology they knew that we may not even know today.
                        The sons of god manipulated female organs to be compatible with what exactly? Spiritual sperm?

Comment

The sons of god manipulated female organs to be compatible with what exactly? Spiritual sperm?
                          I don't believe angels did consort with humans like Sean does, but I do believe angels can take on physical form and all that that entails.

But even if they did (and I don't think they did), the offspring would still be human. Human genes paired with human genes (which is what an angel would have to take on) equals human genes. It would make family reunions awkward and exciting but I don't think anybody would be getting super powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                            I don't believe angels did consort with humans like Sean does, but I do believe angels can take on physical form and all that that entails.
                            Why would God allow them to take human form and disguise themselves as an evolved primate? Could they also become antelopes?

Moreover, why would angels want to become lower than themselves?

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                            But even if they did (and I don't think they did), the offspring would still be human. Human genes paired with human genes (which is what an angel would have to take on) equals human genes. It would make family reunions awkward and exciting but I don't think anybody would be getting super powers.
                            If they're just normal human beings, why are they giants?

Comment

Why would God allow them to take human form and disguise themselves as an evolved primate? Could they also become antelopes?
                              Angels and humans can disobey God. But there are times in the Bible where angels did take form of human flesh on the behest of God.

Moreover, why would angels want to become lower than themselves?
                              Our fantastic eating establishments?

If they're just normal human beings, why are they giants?
                              I haven't really studied the references to giants in the OT, but it's entirely possible its a reference to their notoriety and not their physical size.

Comment

Granted, the bible teaches that enfleshment is a doddle for spirits. Anything's easy when you're a spirit, apparently. =P

It's kind of hokey, though. The sacredness of divine creation is diminished if any spirit can change from genderless spirit into the form of a male higher primate. That's godlike.

Can they become scorpions and squirrels, as well?
                                Maybe your idea of "The sacredness of divine creation" is flawed? And why would that be their problem? Again, we don't have one to study so we don't know anything. For all we know they could be created as hermaphrodites.

Tell me why they wouldn't be able too? Can Satan become a snake (not that I believe this idea)? You are very limited in your view of how divine beings ought to work. We as humans have no clue what they can and cannot do.
                                Last edited by Jesse; 08-08-2014, 08:46 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X