No announcement yet.

ATMs are EVIL!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how you can print out your own stamps now?

They should just let you print out your own money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You know how you can print out your own stamps now?

They should just let you print out your own money.
      oh wait. They do. it's called checks. I haven't used a check in ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        We pay most with Credit Card and pay it off each month. We get air miles that way.
        Most -> All

(including vending machines)

My rewards cards give a minimum of 2% cash back (CitiDouble), or rotating 5% categories (Discover, Chase Freedom). BankAmericard gives 3% on gas, always. Amazon card gives 5% on all Amazon purchases, but no one else takes it.

Comment

I use checks mostly for church. This past summer I nearly burned up my checks writing out for the restoration done to my house after the flood. I had savings and just deposited the insurance money into it as I came, plus I had stuff not covered by the claim that had to be done. Like a broken water main and non code outlets and a new front door. This way all that was documented.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            Most -> All

(including vending machines)

My rewards cards give a minimum of 2% cash back (CitiDouble), or rotating 5% categories (Discover, Chase Freedom). BankAmericard gives 3% on gas, always. Amazon card gives 5% on all Amazon purchases, but no one else takes it.
            My Amazon Rewards Card is a VISA card issued by Chase. I get 5% for Amazon purchases and 2% on restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              My Amazon Rewards Card is a VISA card issued by Chase. I get 5% for Amazon purchases and 2% on restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% on everything else.
              I think you accidentally left out the word "Prime" in Amazon Prime Visa. I've got the same card, same benefits. There's another card with reduced perks, but you don't have to be a Prime member for it. And there may also be another Amazon-only card that lao tzu was referring to, I think I've see that before as well.

Public Service Announcement Time: After all the crap I've seen professionally with regard to card fraud, hackers intercepting card numbers online (happened to me a few months ago) and identity theft, I don't use my debit card for anything other than cash withdrawals. It's easier to have my credit card company reverse charges or halt pending transactions than disputing an unauthorized charge on my debit card and then waiting several business days for the stolen funds to be placed back into my account.

I also do anything I can to keep my actual bank account numbers from being public, which is why I severely limit what I use checks for (haven't figured out a convenient way to limit it entirely).
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                I think you accidentally left out the word "Prime" in Amazon Prime Visa. I've got the same card, same benefits. There's another card with reduced perks, but you don't have to be a Prime member for it. And there may also be another Amazon-only card that lao tzu was referring to, I think I've see that before as well.

Public Service Announcement Time: After all the crap I've seen professionally with regard to card fraud, hackers intercepting card numbers online (happened to me a few months ago) and identity theft, I don't use my debit card for anything other than cash withdrawals. It's easier to have my credit card company reverse charges or halt pending transactions than disputing an unauthorized charge on my debit card and then waiting several business days for the stolen funds to be placed back into my account.

I also do anything I can to keep my actual bank account numbers from being public, which is why I severely limit what I use checks for (haven't figured out a convenient way to limit it entirely).
                I was impressed that while we were in Canada, all restaurant credit card transactions take place at your table - the card never leaves your possession. I think that outta be the way it's done!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I was impressed that while we were in Canada, all restaurant credit card transactions take place at your table - the card never leaves your possession. I think that outta be the way it's done!
                  I make a point of taking my bill up to the register to pay it. In the few places that don't have them and the waiter/waitress takes your bill and payment to a station to take care of it I started accompanying them or pay cash.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I make a point of taking my bill up to the register to pay it. In the few places that don't have them and the waiter/waitress takes your bill and payment to a station to take care of it I started accompanying them or pay cash.
                    Yeah, unless the pay station is within clear sight of the table where I'm seated... I've actually noticed a couple of our restaurants have the credit card machine within clear view of the dining room, and the employees appear to be trained to hold your card in such a way that you can clearly see that it never goes out of sight.

Several of the restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's have the little pay gadget on your table, where you can run your own card.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah, unless the pay station is within clear sight of the table where I'm seated... I've actually noticed a couple of our restaurants have the credit card machine within clear view of the dining room, and the employees appear to be trained to hold your card in such a way that you can clearly see that it never goes out of sight.

Several of the restaurants like Chili's and Applebee's have the little pay gadget on your table, where you can run your own card.
                      Saw one of those at Olive Garden a few months ago.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I do prefer to keep my credit cards in my hand, because it eliminates the chance of the lone server using a skimmer. But I'm also wary of skimmers put onto the machine itself, or issues like the Kmart hack (I think it was them, at least) where they had malware infecting credit card machines at thousands of locations. It's...difficult to keep from being victimized these days. I had my credit card information stolen because I used it online during the wrong 2-day window, during which hackers had access to a large corporation's systems. Or course, I also use a credit card rather than a debit card for purchases because I like free rewards.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                          But I'm also wary of skimmers put onto the machine itself, or issues like the Kmart hack (I think it was them, at least) where they had malware infecting credit card machines at thousands of locations.
                          I always seem to read about them being attached to gas pumps. At the same time, I'm either too lazy or too apathetic to actually go in and prepay every time to avoid this possibility.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I always seem to read about them being attached to gas pumps. At the same time, I'm either too lazy or too apathetic to actually go in and prepay every time to avoid this possibility.
                            There's merit to using the same gas stations when possible -- you get to know the "look and feel" of the credit card slot. I particularly enjoy the older gas stations with antiquated equipment where any "new" attachment would stand out like a sore thumb.

Comment