Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Active Shooter: A Christian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I think so.

I would hope that had I been in such a position - by being, for example, enslaved labour in a concentration camp - that if I could have extracted gold from the mouths of ten of the Nazi's victims before the Nazis got at it and used it to buy the life of the eleventh, I would have done so.

Apparently you would not.
    I'd have to agree with this very carefully worded position.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      yeah that's what I meant. But I suspect its for safety reasons.
      I think it's political.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Yes, you are being a condescending jerk, but that's okay. Planned Parenthood is most well-known for providing abortion services. Because they do that, I'm not especially interested in whatever else they happen to provide - and since I'm not sexually active, they have absolutely nothing to provide for me anyway. I know they don't provide mammograms, despite protesting that they'll be less available if PP loses funding. I wasn't asking you to be my tutor - I was only asking a simple question. "Yes" would have sufficed, and been much easier to boot.
        I think PP makes the trains run on time, too.

Comment

"Yes" would have sufficed, and been much easier to boot.
          But that would not have been snarky enough for him.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think it's political.
            How about both?
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              How about both?
              That works!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I'd have to agree with this very carefully worded position.
                Of course, the Nazis would probably have been bright enough to realize the source of such gold and executed you for stealing it (not that gold would actually have set anyone free in that instance; at best it would extend one life at the expense of another).
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course, the Nazis would probably have been bright enough to realize the source of such gold and executed you for stealing it (not that gold would actually have set anyone free in that instance; at best it would extend one life at the expense of another).
                  Hey, I'm trying hard to agree with Roy on ANYTHING!

Comment

M
                    Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    I think so.

I would hope that had I been in such a position - by being, for example, enslaved labour in a concentration camp - that if I could have extracted gold from the mouths of ten of the Nazi's victims before the Nazis got at it and used it to buy the life of the eleventh, I would have done so.

Apparently you would not.
                    To thwart their plans? Of course I would. But you are dodging the point I was making anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Oskar Schindler got people out of Auschwitz by bribing the authorities with diamonds. Why would gold not also have worked?
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post
                        To thwart their plans? Of course I would. But you are dodging the point I was making anyway.
                        What point would that be? That abortion doctors are like Nazis? That negotiating with them would be like negotiating with Nazis?

Also it seems disingenuous for you to complain that I dodged your (unclear) point when you completely ignored mine.

Roy
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                          waitaminute...

thats not gonna help.

If one believes abortion murders a living human being, how is it going to help if an organization mostly provides std tests or cancer screenings ,

what?

you're going to say, sure , they murder babies , buts only a few??
                          Actually, in a grown-up conversation (now that's what condescending looks like, OBP), I'd be asking questions, not providing answers to questions that shouldn't even have to be asked. I'd be asking for sources, and checking them, hoping to find something better than what I've found on my own.

If anyone remembers my one and only contribution to the abortion debate on TWeb, they should remember my focus on reducing the abortion rate. Pro tip: Using phrases like "murdering babies" does not help, or more properly, doesn't help in any sense that could draw open support.

The Toll of Violent Anti-Abortion Speech

Let's assume abortion opponents don't actually support terrorist tactics, just for the sake of promoting rational debate. Here's my topline question: Does PP prevent more abortions than they facilitate?

Nearly all abortions are from unplanned pregnancies that resulted from unprotected sex; half of all of those unplanned pregnancies result in abortions; PP provides ten times as many contraceptive services as abortions. Those numbers are rough, but good enough for an envelope calculation. Do the math.

Notice I didn't say perform, because that question answers itself. See above. I said facilitate because PP relies on referrals in major population centers, which, naturally, are where most abortions occur.

That's the discussion I'd like to see, but frankly, this being TWeb, in a thread devoted to stealthy defenses of the terrorism tactic, well ... let's just say I'm not holding out much hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yes, you are being a condescending jerk, but that's okay. Planned Parenthood is most well-known for providing abortion services. Because they do that, I'm not especially interested in whatever else they happen to provide - and since I'm not sexually active, they have absolutely nothing to provide for me anyway. I know they don't provide mammograms, despite protesting that they'll be less available if PP loses funding. I wasn't asking you to be my tutor - I was only asking a simple question. "Yes" would have sufficed, and been much easier to boot.
                            There are folks on TWeb I expect will never look closely at any issue before posting about it. You're not one of them.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ab.../annual-report

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              There are folks on TWeb I expect will never look closely at any issue before posting about it. You're not one of them.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ab.../annual-report
                              I did try to get to this, it cannot be linked to it just spams with a ton of other reports...
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                That's the discussion I'd like to see, but frankly, this being TWeb, in a thread devoted to stealthy defenses of the terrorism tactic, well ... let's just say I'm not holding out much hope.
                                I know you pride yourself on being the official jerk, but are you now trying to join the Jackass Society?
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment