Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity Today Op Ed

Finally, an Evangelical Christian organization with a voice sees and responds to the obvious:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...om-office.html

There isn't a lot to say.

Source: op-ed

Let’s grant this to the president: The Democrats have had it out for him from day one, and therefore nearly everything they do is under a cloud of partisan suspicion. This has led many to suspect not only motives but facts in these recent impeachment hearings. And, no, Mr. Trump did not have a serious opportunity to offer his side of the story in the House hearings on impeachment.

But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

I would have hoped for explanation behind their opinion.

There wasn't any obvious insights supported by facts, nor were there any alternatives to the President we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      I would have hoped for explanation behind their opinion.

There wasn't any obvious insights supported by facts, nor were there any alternatives to the President we have now.
      There WAS an explanation behind their opinion:

Christianity Today editor-in-chief Mark Galli “slammed Trump as a deeply immoral person, and he admonished Trump’s evangelical supporters directly: “Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. … It will crash down on the reputation of evangelical religion and on the world’s understanding of the gospel.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...removal-088362

US Evangelicals are already being equated with the moral standards exhibited by Trump.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It's just another uninformed opinion piece. Just because it appears in a publication that ostensibly speaks for Christians doesn't mean I'm suddenly obligated to take it seriously. In fact, the case against Trump is so weak that the Democrats are begging for the Senate to call additional witnesses and secure additional documents that the House didn't bother trying to get when the ball was in their court. Which is to say that the House failed to uncover evidence to support the charges against the President. It will be a miscarriage of justice if the Senate doesn't vote for dismissal or acquittal.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's just another uninformed opinion piece. Just because it appears in a publication that ostensibly speaks for Christians doesn't mean I'm suddenly obligated to take it seriously. In fact, the case against Trump is so weak that the Democrats are begging for the Senate to call additional witnesses and secure additional documents that the House didn't bother trying to get when the ball was in their court. Which is to say that the House failed to uncover evidence to support the charges against the President. It will be a miscarriage of justice if the Senate doesn't vote for dismissal or acquittal.
          Nothing surprising from you here. However, I believe it will give courage to many evangelical leaders that see the problem but not clearly enough to voice their concerns. It will give pastors a starting point for sermons, and should cause their readers to at least think about what crowd they are following so blindly.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Nothing surprising from you here. However, I believe it will give courage to many evangelical leaders that see the problem but not clearly enough to voice their concerns. It will give pastors a starting point for sermons, and should cause their readers to at least think about what crowd they are following so blindly.
            Right, Christian leaders in general are cowards, and they were just waiting for an uninformed editorial to give them the "nudge" they need to finally speak their minds.

Comment

No pastor should be preaching about politics. They should be preaching the gospel and leaving politics out of the pulpit.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm FAR more interested in preaching Christ crucified, buried, risen again and being the Lord of our lives, and ZERO interested in preaching politics.

Perhaps a more timely sermon would be something along the lines the Root of Bitterness, or casting stones when our own life is full of sin.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  US Evangelicals are already being equated with the moral standards exhibited by Trump.
                  Yes, this is a common lie from the enemies of the cross and their associates.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm FAR more interested in preaching Christ crucified, buried, risen again and being the Lord of our lives, and ZERO interested in preaching politics.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Still coming down off the high, are ya? The topic, which apparently eluded you, was preaching from the pulpit, and I NEVER preach politics from the pulpit.

Comment

Still coming down off the high, are ya? The topic, which apparently eluded you, was preaching from the pulpit, and I NEVER preach politics from the pulpit.
                        Neither did Christianity today, it was an op-ed. Their trying to set you Christian Trumpsters straight!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Neither did Christianity today, it was an op-ed. Their trying to set you Christian Trumpsters straight!
                          Yes, Jim - it was OPINION. You'd be wise to take a bunch of their other opinions to heart, but we won't hold our breaths.

Comment

Yes, Jim - it was OPINION. You'd be wise to take a bunch of their other opinions to heart, but we won't hold our breaths.
                            You'd be wise to take this their opinion to heart, but i'm not holding my breath either.

Comment

The only time liberals take Christianity seriously is when they think that they can use it to shame people into agreeing with them. It's unadulterated hypocrisy.

Comment